View Poll Results: Is greenway cutting it this season?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he's living up to his pay.

4 26.67%
  • No, he needs to step up.

10 66.67%
  • He must have an injury.

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation The "unofficial" Greenway isn't cutting it thread.

Let me start off by saying that I have always been a fan of Greenway and he's made some big plays for us for years. The problem is lately. I have seen Chad and E.J. get beat or been caught out of position a lot lately and am not happy. I am giving E.J. a buffer because he has a lagging knee injury he's playing through. As far as I know Chad has no substantial injuries.

I watched Greenway carefully tonight and was not impressed again. I watched him miss 2 wide open sack opportunities, granted against a shifty Newton, but still.

I watched him get burned in crappy coverage in the end zone. He was caught out of position and was burned. I don't expect him to blanket shifty receivers but I do expect him to make plays/ break up passes now and again, and just don't see hardly any of that with him lately.

I will go as far as to say the only significant play I seen him make today is when Jared caused a strip sack and Greenway fell on the loose ball. He had about a half dozen tackles today, so I'm not saying he's not doing anything or having an impact, which he is but not to the degree a 40 million dollar paycheck would merit.

He's played very well in the past but this season for some reason has been a serious let down for me as far as Greenway, and for that matter, the rest of the linebacker corps. I don't know if he's backed off the throttle because the season is in the tank, but that would not explain his less than stellar performances in the early games.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm hating on the guy cause I think he's a great guy and a solid linebacker when he's on, but I don't think anyone can be happy with our linebacker play this season thus far. Also I expect a 40 million dollar payday to equate to a comparable display on the field. This was one reason I disliked Berrian so much he didn't even come close to earning his pay, but he's an extreme example of substandard play and inflated pay.

By the way, nice win fellas. What say you?
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    He said in an interview this week that he knows he has to play better and he does. But I am of the opinion that he is trying to do too much to compensate for the fact that EJ is playing hurt, Erin is not playing at that high of a level, the Dline has 2 new starters and the secondary is in shambles.

He stated that they are having trouble with knowing where the other guys are going to be and IMHO that is a reflection of coaching to a large degree. I am not impressed with the way the defense is coming together under Pagac and while we do have injuries and not a lot of depth, the players are looking lost and confused all too often and it is costing us TD's and huge plays.

While Greenway is not making game changing plays I would look at EJ, Erin and the secondary first before singling him out.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Someone actually voted that he is earning that contract? LOL. Seriously? He has been awful this year. He can't play pass defense. He can't get to the QB on blitzes. He is out of position more times than he is in position. That contract is going to haunt us. EJ is playing badly too, but at least he isn't getting paid $40 million dollars to play badly. Erin has nothing to do with this. He has gone above and beyond the call of duty this year. He went from special teams to a starting OLB, and he looks no worse than our "franchise" defensive player. The only reason that his tackling numbers have gone up the last few games is because Winfield has been out. When Winfield was playing, he was our leading tackler all season. Step it up Chad. We can't afford the Chris Johnson bullshit right now. Oh, and Pagac is in over his head at DC. I think we should promote Singletary to DC as a figure-head and motivator, and let Leslie go back to calling the defensive plays. What do you guys think about that idea?

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    I don't see it as a failure of Greenway in particular but rather as a let down by the Defense as a whole. EJ hasn't been the same, Chad hasn't been, and I think it goes more to the new corrdinator and the weak Secondary than to Greenway himself.

As for "earning" his contract...I don't think ANY NFL'er "earns" their contract....but based upon others playing where he does in similar circumstances, I am not overly disappointed with HIM individually.

Caine

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Chad knows how to play his position. He's done well at it for several years now. He also just doesn't seem the type to mail it in and coast on his new contract, although I could be wrong, I suppose. He just never struck me as that kind of guy.

Which leads me to wonder if it isn't more to do with the coaching than his play. Maybe Mike Singletary isn't as great a coach as he was a player. Maybe Fred Pagac is in a bit over his head. Maybe the schemes are too complicated, and the guys are having trouble getting it locked into their heads.

The LBs really do seem to be our worst unit in coverage on D. Yes, worse even than the injury- and arrest-ridden secondary. They are still doing decent on run Defense, at least.

I'll give Chad a bit of slack, since he is hardly alone in his difficulties. If this continues past this season, however, it might be time to rethink things a little.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I'd still say Chad is our best linebacker by far. Erin is impressing, considering I expected absolutely nothing out of him. But when you stand back and look at the big picture, Chad > Erin.

EJ isn't the same, and quite frankly, doesn't fit our scheme whatsoever.

The thing with Chad, is when he does his job, he gets not notice, but only when he screws up. He's quietly played alright, not great, but alright. Problem is, we're paying him like a great player. Everyone has up and down years, so I'm not goign to throw him under the bus, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him pick it up a bit.

Also, I have to wonder how much having a piss-poor secondary and inconsistent MIke and Sam backers has to do with how he looks?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Excellent idea for a thread my friend and an even better first post. Lots of good discussion points.

For me, and forgive me for sounding like a recording, it all gets back to the front 4. When people realize that we not only run a C2 defense, and that the front 4 aren't living up to what is expected of a front 4 in a C2 defense and the trickle down effect that has on the back seven, they they will quit hacking on our DB's and LB'rs for not playing up to potential.

Truth of the matter is, when you send a LB on a blitz, it weakens the LB corps as well as the DB's abilitly to cover in the construct of the scheme. When you send 2 LB'rs, like we've been doing alot, it really really weakens the LB corps further degrades the abilitly to cover in the construct of the C2 and when you send multiple LB'r and a DB (and don't get there) you just comprimised your entire defensive scheme and it is because your DL can't get pressure alone.

Mix in the little issue we have with respect to disguising our blitz's and you really have a problem. Now the defense knows your blitzing, who is blitzing and what zone is gonna be open.

Is JA leading the league in sacks? Sure, but can you imagine how many he would have if the QB didn't have a nice pocket to step up into all the time?

In the end, its simple math.......atleast from a scheme perspective. When you blitz, you still have the same zones to cover, with less defenders, which equate to bigger zones and longer angles, etc etc etc.

We either need to fix the DL or completely scrap the C2 defense. Not sure Leslie is ever gonna do the later, so the next fix is to find a DT who can not only beat double teams against the run, but push double teams into the pocket so the QB can't step up and around the edge pass rush.

Again, great idea for a thread my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Gift is offline Coordinator
    Trade him to the bears in the off season, we need another WR.
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    And the magic number is 6

I was wondering how many days it would take after Berrian was cut before another player/coach would be thrown under the bus.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I thought it was only 5.

The team has many problems from the Chiller era that need to be purged so there will me more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast