Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Unlikely team: Veteran QB Johnson and rookie WR Willimson

From SanDiego.com;

[size=18px]Unlikely Viking team: Veteran QB Johnson and rookie WR Williamson [/size]

By Jon Krawczynski
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    12:23 p.m. November 11, 2005

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. – Brad Johnson is a veteran quarterback of 14 years who is familiar with nearly everything that unfolds on a football field.
    Troy Williamson is a rookie receiver who encounters something new practically every time he steps on it.

Johnson and Williamson make a bit of an odd pairing, but Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Tice likes what he sees heading into Sunday's game against the New York Giants (6-2).

"It looks like Brad and Troy have that thing going on that receivers and quarterbacks have when they are in sync," Tice said. "It will be exciting to see Troy have that bond with Brad."

Johnson became the starter when a knee injury ended Daunte Culpepper's season two weeks ago in Carolina. Some panic set in when the Vikings' marquee player hit the turf, yet Johnson stepped in and guided the team to a victory over Detroit last week.

Williamson only had three catches for 26 yards, but it was evident that Johnson was looking his way often. They nearly connected on a 42-yard touchdown at the end of the first half that was broken up in the end zone.

"He's an explosive guy who can get down field and make some big catches," Johnson said of Williamson, who leads all rookies in the league with 276 yards receiving. "The more practice and game time he gets, the more he will come up with clutch catches. He is going to be a big part of what we need this year."

It's rare for a veteran quarterback to have that much faith in a rookie. The bond between Williamson and Johnson was forged earlier this season in training camp.

The Vikings selected Williamson with the No. 7 overall pick in April's draft. Looking to limit the comparisons to the traded Randy Moss, they vowed to slowly bring along the young receiver from South Carolina.

Williamson spent much of training camp catching passes from Johnson, while Culpepper worked primarily with Nate Burleson, Marcus Robinson and Travis Taylor.

All that work helped developed a rapport.

"With Troy, I had a lot more time with him in the 2-minute drills and team work," Johnson said. "I think it was good for him to be around a veteran quarterback at that time to kind of ease the pain of learning a new system, which routes he'd be running."

Williamson denied repeated requests for an interview, but earlier this season he credited Johnson with getting him through the rookie whirlwind.

"When I first came in, he helped me with what I needed to do on passing plays, how deep I had to go, what he wanted me to do when it comes to different coverages," Williamson said in September. "He's helped me out a whole lot."

Now it's time for all that hard work to start paying off.

The Vikings (3-5) have been abysmal on the road for the better part of this century, having won just nine times in their last 41 road games.

They play the Giants in the Meadowlands for the first time since a 41-0 loss in the NFC championship game after the 2000 season.

Minnesota plans to use its same conservative philosophy on offense with the savvy, if not explosive, Johnson running the show. Last week against the Lions, Johnson threw for 136 yards and two touchdowns, completing just one pass longer than 20 yards all game.

A few completions down field to the speedy Williamson would go a long way toward loosening up the Giants defense and opening up the running game, a strategy that worked to perfection against the Lions, at least in the first half.

"The ball was in the air 52 yards, so I think they will see you can't sit on all of Brad's routes," offensive coordinator Steve Loney said of the TD to Williamson in the end zone. "He's got the arm strength. He can get the ball deep. I think Troy's speed has shown in other games that he can get on top of coverage."

If it doesn't work out, Tice won't be able to blame a lack of chemistry.

"It probably extends from the fact that both were second-string all throughout training camp and the offseason and had a chance to work together," Tice said. "But they seem to be on the same page as far as I'm concerned."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Unlikely team: Veteran QB Johnson and rookie WR Willimson

NICE! Williamson leading all rookies in yards.. Offensive Rookie of the year maybe?

Yah it seems like an odd pairing because Brad likes to pass short.. While Williamson is known as a deep guy.. I like it though

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Good let Brad throw some screen passes to Williamson and let him take it to the house.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

viks_fan21 is offline Asst. Coach

That is weird with the short pass QB and the deep threat WR. I never thought about that before but it is true that Brad has already developed some chemistry with Troy. Hopefully we get to see a huge game from both of them on Sunday.

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

For a 7th round pick.. yes keep looking his way.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    NICE! Williamson leading all rookies in yards.. Offensive Rookie of the year maybe?
    mabye? but i think cadillac has that rapped up.

bj with all the rest he has gotten mabye his arm has some power still it in so he can throw some bombs over the top to troy for some tds this week. that would be fantastic.
    We're bringing purple back.

Rookie444 is offline Starter

"DemonicViking" wrote:
    u mean 7th OVERALL pick, right? lol. could this be the chemistry that cpep and moss had (manning/harrison, mcnabb/owens (last season))??????? HOPEFULLY SO!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Greg- I dunno man.. His stats aren't that good right now.. And he has missed some games.. By the end of the season who knows.. I hope Williamson gets it!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Rookie444" wrote:
    "DemonicViking" wrote:
    u mean 7th OVERALL pick, right? lol. could this be the chemistry that cpep and moss had (manning/harrison, mcnabb/owens (last season))??????? HOPEFULLY SO!
    I doubt 600 yards receiving (about what he is on pace for) will get OROY. Caddilac hasn't sone anything since week 4. I wouldn't be surprised if it went to heath miller.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Rookie444 is offline Starter

i seriously doubt TWilliamson will get that title either (unless he has spectacular games here on out). yea, heath has been stepping up a lot for pitt. what about defensive POY? Demarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast