Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    They primarily used Ronnie Brown in the Wildcat. Turner was in Miami before the prevalence of the Wildcat formation, which happened under Tony Sporano.
    I loved that show!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    I expect Kelly to continue using extremely foreign looking line ups that throw defenses curveballs. Further, if they WORK... we,, the NFL is nothing but a "mimic what works" sort of league, so I expect more gimmick plays, not less.

I can honestly see a "no QB" set with McKinnon as the FB and AP as the HB, and an extra TE or WR in the set. Is it a run/option? Will McKinnon just become a QB in the shotgun?

THAT is my only point. I think this kid adds a dimension to our offense that, IF Turner wants to pursue it, makes for extremely dynamic offenses for AP to run out of, or Patterson/Jennings to get quick routes and expound on their abilities to get YACs.

This line of discussion is ran through every offseason around these parts. Whenever we draft an "athlete" that has played multiple positions, everyone has flashbacks to their high school days or how a certain college program has had success with exotic looks. In the NFL, if you aren't great at one aspect of the game, your pretty much normalized. Being average at a lot of things, doesn't seem to equate to a whole lot of success.

With Kelly, he does run a lot of different formations, but he seems to predicate his offense largely on running things up tempo and for the QB to get rid of the ball super fast. Stressing defenses by constantly pushing them. I'm sure he has gimmicks as well, but I don't see that as a staple of his offense.

If you really want to mess with a defense, put a QB in that can throw the ball. Without respect for the pass, life becomes pretty simple on defense. Philly always has aspects of run and pass on any given play. Lining up McCoy or a guy like McKinnon behind center pretty much takes that away.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    If you really want to mess with a defense, put a QB in that can throw the ball. Without respect for the pass, life becomes pretty simple on defense. Philly always has aspects of run and pass on any given play. Lining up McCoy or a guy like McKinnon behind center pretty much takes that away.
    I agree.

I believe the Vikings drafted McKinnon as a running back. If a trick play is put in from time to time, it would help for him to have passing ability, but the Wildcat is a bust.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    If Cassel or Bridgewater lights it up, trick plays become a "watch this hand, not the other" type of magic show, I agree.

But boy, when they work, they are fun to watch. Kelly had a few set ups that were so foreign they looked like 7 on 7 scrimmages. If they worked, they were fun to watch; if they didn't, they were fun to laugh about.

I just love the fact that we drafted a QB as a RB, and get excited at the possibilities, no matter how remote.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123