Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840
    I'm liking what I'm seeing of this Dominique Williams kid...

    Wagner College running back Dominique Williams agrees to sign with Minnesota Vikings | SILive.com

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxRhg0uXqnY

    Dominique Williams*|*Wagner,*RB*:*2014 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

    He's got a very similar build to Mckinnon, with good strength and power. He doesn't have the elite 40 time that AP or JM possess, but his 3-cone and first step burst are very impressive and help him make guys miss so he can pick up some extra effort yards. While he did play in a small conference, his stat lines are solid, averaging about 5 yards/carry rushing and nearly 10 receiving. It will be tough to make this team as a RB this year!

    Football | NCAA | Player Stats - Dominique Williams - Wagner Seahawks - washingtonpost.com
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  2. #12
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    591
    I hope so. The Asiata kid seems like a good player, but he is not at all dynamic. For our team, a dynamic RB is a must until we fill out the "star factor" a little more.

    I like McKinnon for the "power RB" plays not featuring AP, and a good fleet-footed RB looking for snaps just makes us more elusive. I would not be surprised to see wildcat plays with McKinnon for different looks, allowing for us to keep the opposing defenses off the balls of their feet.

    That means we might need another RB more in the AP mold a la the missing Gerhardt... Williams might just be that guy.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  3. #13
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,499
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    I hope so. The Asiata kid seems like a good player, but he is not at all dynamic. For our team, a dynamic RB is a must until we fill out the "star factor" a little more.

    I like McKinnon for the "power RB" plays not featuring AP, and a good fleet-footed RB looking for snaps just makes us more elusive. I would not be surprised to see wildcat plays with McKinnon for different looks, allowing for us to keep the opposing defenses off the balls of their feet.

    That means we might need another RB more in the AP mold a la the missing Gerhardt... Williams might just be that guy.
    The wildcat was a gimmick that worked for maybe 3 or 4 games over the past 7 years. Move on.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  4. #14
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    The wildcat was a gimmick that worked for maybe 3 or 4 games over the past 7 years. Move on.
    The wildcat is a scheme that takes on a new name every 5 to 10 years, but is essentially a strategy that will never "move on". Basically, its a look so foreign to a defense that it throws them off their game; I expect Chip Kelly in Philly will have a number of plays that make the wildcat look tame.

    McKinnon's ability to run the option, which sometimes will include throwing the ball to receivers, will add that ability to our coaching staff if they choose to use it. If the term "wildcat" offends you, then ignore it.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  5. #15
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,499
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    The wildcat is a scheme that takes on a new name every 5 to 10 years, but is essentially a strategy that will never "move on". Basically, its a look so foreign to a defense that it throws them off their game; I expect Chip Kelly in Philly will have a number of plays that make the wildcat look tame.

    McKinnon's ability to run the option, which sometimes will include throwing the ball to receivers, will add that ability to our coaching staff if they choose to use it. If the term "wildcat" offends you, then ignore it.
    Running one formation once (maybe twice) a season is not a "strategy" but a gimmick to throw teams off. You can count on one hand how many teams ran a "Wildcat" or "Blazer" or "Tigercat" or "Mountaineer" or whatever you want to call it.

    Teams don't create gameplans around the Wildcat. Gimmick, plain and simple.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  6. #16
    PackSux!'s Avatar
    PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,562
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    The wildcat is a scheme that takes on a new name every 5 to 10 years, but is essentially a strategy that will never "move on". Basically, its a look so foreign to a defense that it throws them off their game; I expect Chip Kelly in Philly will have a number of plays that make the wildcat look tame.

    McKinnon's ability to run the option, which sometimes will include throwing the ball to receivers, will add that ability to our coaching staff if they choose to use it. If the term "wildcat" offends you, then ignore it.
    Gimmick football does not work. Its been proven.

    On a side note i would not be offended if Mr. Turner decided to have McKinnon take the snap and then hand the ball to AP and then watch AP pitch it back to McKinnon for the flea flicker to Patterson!

  7. #17
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869

    Undrafted Free Agents

    Gimmick plays are fun, but they are a very small part of the game and are mostly used in offenses that are failing to execute with their core offense.

    I hope we don't have to depend on them or were in for a long road.

  8. #18
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840
    Wasn't Ricky Williams under Turner in Miami the first NFL version of the 'wildcat'? McKinnon has the chops to play the role, and it's never a bad thing to have a few extra tricks up your sleeve!

    Again, it had best not be our first choice of an offensive alignment, but I could see it working for a big first down every once in a while.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  9. #19
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    591
    I expect Kelly to continue using extremely foreign looking line ups that throw defenses curveballs. Further, if they WORK... we,, the NFL is nothing but a "mimic what works" sort of league, so I expect more gimmick plays, not less.

    I can honestly see a "no QB" set with McKinnon as the FB and AP as the HB, and an extra TE or WR in the set. Is it a run/option? Will McKinnon just become a QB in the shotgun?

    THAT is my only point. I think this kid adds a dimension to our offense that, IF Turner wants to pursue it, makes for extremely dynamic offenses for AP to run out of, or Patterson/Jennings to get quick routes and expound on their abilities to get YACs.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

    ~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

  10. #20
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,499
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Wasn't Ricky Williams under Turner in Miami the first NFL version of the 'wildcat'? McKinnon has the chops to play the role, and it's never a bad thing to have a few extra tricks up your sleeve!

    Again, it had best not be our first choice of an offensive alignment, but I could see it working for a big first down every once in a while.
    They primarily used Ronnie Brown in the Wildcat. Turner was in Miami before the prevalence of the Wildcat formation, which happened under Tony Sporano.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •