Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Understanding the Vikings Tampa 2

Understanding the Vikings: The Tampa-2 and its Front Seven

Understanding the Vikings: The Tampa-2 and its Front Seven - Daily Norseman

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    That was a pretty good article.

The nose tackle will need to consistently demand that double team in order to make the Tampa-2 effective. This is how the over alignment of the Tampa system deals with the problems of zone-read running endemic to traditional one-gap 4-3 systems, and why Pat Williams was a more important part of our defense than many commentators gave him credit for.
    I was hoping they would elaborate a bit more on this so that a few on here would understand what I've been harping about for about 3 years now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    The Minnesota Vikings are well known for having a historically powerful defense. From their inception in 1961, the Vikings have had a top 5 defense for 11 of its 50+ years, and have ranked first in points allowed 6 times. Having never switched from a four man front, the Vikings have consistently built their defenses around a penetrating line.

um, the Vikes ran a 3-4 under Jerry Burns (I believe)..get your facts straight!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    The Minnesota Vikings are well known for having a historically powerful defense. From their inception in 1961, the Vikings have had a top 5 defense for 11 of its 50+ years, and have ranked first in points allowed 6 times. Having never switched from a four man front, the Vikings have consistently built their defenses around a penetrating line.

um, the Vikes ran a 3-4 under Jerry Burns (I believe)..get your facts straight!!
    Hmmmm, not sure 2BT, I think they might have run a weird front under him but I don't recall a 3-4. I know I distinctly remember Noga playing the UT (0/1 tech) in the 4 man front. Didn't he play in the Burns era?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    That was a pretty good article.

I was hoping they would elaborate a bit more on this so that a few on here would understand what I've been harping about for about 3 years now.
    The Vikings are weak up the middle which is going to hurt them this season. Hopefully they have improved the safety position, but they would benefit greatly from a stud middle linebacker, a 0 technique tackle and a penetrating tackle.
    I believe the Mike is the most important in this system and hope they invest a high draft pick to get one next year.
    We also need to draft the war pig.
    The penetrating tackle may develop from what we have on the roster as Williams hasn't been getting it done recently. This is an important year for KW. If he doesn't get it done he may get replaced.

Despite the need to strengthen the middle of the defense they would not have been too bad if the offense could have scored some points. A better offense would help.

One other thought. I think those second half collapses early last year had a lot to do with a lack of conditioning with no off season, as much as a failure to adjust at half time.
    If so, the players are as responsible as the coaching staff. That has nothing to do with the article. Just curious about your opinion.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Hmmmm, not sure 2BT, I think they might have run a weird front under him but I don't recall a 3-4. I know I distinctly remember Noga playing the UT (0/1 tech) in the 4 man front. Didn't he play in the Burns era?
    only posted this cuz it was easier to find..

Chris Doleman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doleman was selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the 1st round (4th overall) of the 1985 NFL Draft.[6] He began his NFL career as an outside linebacker in the Vikings 3-4 defense. However, the team switched to a 4-3 defense early in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    only posted this cuz it was easier to find..

Chris Doleman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doleman was selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the 1st round (4th overall) of the 1985 NFL Draft.[6] He began his NFL career as an outside linebacker in the Vikings 3-4 defense. However, the team switched to a 4-3 defense early in his career.
    Interesting. Must have been a quick switch. Again, I remember some weird fronts but I didn't think they ran a 3-4 scheme.

Understanding the Vikings: The Tampa-2 and its Back Seven

Understanding the Vikings: The Tampa-2 and its Back Seven - Daily Norseman

I love this stuff.

This article has the best description that I've ever seen when it comes to describing the difference between the C2 and the T2 and really opened my eyes to what they are trying to do with our MLB and 1 tech DT.
    Last edited by Marrdro; 07-19-2012 at 11:21 AM.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Understanding the Vikings: The Tampa-2 and its Back Seven

Understanding the Vikings: The Tampa-2 and its Back Seven - Daily Norseman

I love this stuff.

This article has the best description that I've ever seen when it comes to describing the difference between the C2 and the T2 and really opened my eyes to what they are trying to do with our MLB and 1 tech DT.
    Very good read my friend. T2 may make life simpler for the Mike and NT but the Vikings will be a better defense with a fast Mike and a stud 0-1 technique DT. I'm still holding out hope for a warpig in next years draft and a Mike if Brinkley doesn't work out.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Don't like this defense ... We don't have the right people to run it well ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast