Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Underachieving

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Underachieving

This is the NFL guys, not Sony playstation. If we are driving the ball all day there is no real reason to pass deep and throw off our offensive rythm should it be incomplete or picked off.

Ball control is important. We are underacheiving because of our poor execution in the redzone, not because we arn't bombing it to Moss.

Throwing into triple coverage is the same dumb sh*t that Culpepper has done in the past Vikeman. That is not the answer to our offensive problems.

I will admit I would have liked to see Culpepper throw at least 1 deep against the eagles, but really we could have won that game in spite of the fact if we had not commited so many penalties and mistakes in the redzone.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Underachieving

The days of throwing the ball up to moss, in double and triple coverage, are gone guys. Remember when daunte was doing that 2 years ago? He lead the league in turnovers, and the whole next offseason, the coaches told him over and over again, not to force the ball to moss. Remember in our 2nd preseason game, when daunte threw it up to moss in triple coverage? It was intercepted, and he hasn't done it since. Why do we need to force deep balls to moss, if we are moving the ball at will against other teams? I believe we are averaging the most yards per game again, so their really isn't a need to force throws that aren't there.

Like ND said, all the deep balls have been going to cambell and burleson, for good reason. Eventually teams will realize they have to use less guys on moss, and that is when we hit them with the deep ball to moss, but not now, when he is doubled and tripled.

This ball control offense is good for us, since our D is young and inexperienced. We need to keep them off the field and fresh. We have a young, fast D. Young, meaning they will make mistakes. Because of these mistakes, we need them fresh, so they can use their speed to cover up a lot of these mistakes. When our young guys get more experience and start gelling as a group on D, then they will start playing better, and we won't need this ball control offense as much.

As the season goes on, you will see more deep balls to moss, but they won't be forced passes into double and triple coverage.

ndakvikefan is offline Starter

Underachieving

Whackthepack what game were you watching???????? The vikings had 11 pass plays for 11 yards or more each. 5 went for 20+, 2 went for 2 went for 30+ and 2 went for 40+. So I would say they are getting 25 to 3o yard plays. How many teams have 5 plays of 20 yards or more a game. Using the current passing scheme the vikes went on drives of 83,67,64,76,66,67 yards. That is not to bad so I am not sure what everyone is having a cow about. What is the difference between a team playing deep and throwing a 10 yard pass and running 10015 yards after the catch or throwing the ball 25 yards downfield and getting tackled right away????
    8f72d7a2bfbfd6a931c3ea8edbece812

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Underachieving

It looks like most of the last several posts have got it just about right...I have to say that I agree that moving the ball is not a problem for the Vikings this year. The devil is in the lack of TDs produced by all of this offensive production. I personally don't care how they score points, just as long as they score more than the other team. On the other hand, I would prefer TDs over FGs. Hell, if the defense wants to pitch in a few TDs as well, I would have no problem with that either.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Underachieving

You are right cajun, the team, does need to work on thier red zone play, need to get TD not FGs. The good news is that it is not so much the play calling in the red zone, but the mental mistakes. They are correctable. Chicago is a hard game to judge the vikes by. They always play that deep zone, and surprisingly Duante was able to pick it apart with shorter stuff. If you look back over the last few years Duante only averages about 225 yards against the Bears and the rushing is usually about 160-170 yards. So either the difference is due to Duante maturing and taking what the defense gives him or the Bears were really hurting missing thier starting DB's.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Underachieving

ndak, congrats on post 100. Good to see that cooler heads will prevail on this site. Also good analysis on the Chicago game...the next few weeks will be more telling regarding where the O stands.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

vegasvike is offline Hall of Famer

Underachieving

And Vegas you complain about Mosses TD's only being 2 and 3 yards. Well I may have only been watching the Vikings for 35 years now, but 35 years ago a 2 yard TD was worth 6 points and Sunday when Moss caught a 2 yard TD it was still worth 6 points. So what how it gets to the end zone, if it is a 60 yard bomb or a 2 yard dink pass it is still a TD and is still 6 points.
    Another thing you pro throw deep to Moss all the time guys don't think about. Vikeman said we have a good defense now. ( which I still don't see) but how good will that defense be when the average offensive drive is 2 or 3 minutes by throwing deep to Moss all the time. They will be completly drained by the 4th quarter if they are on the field all day long.

YO you never saw anything that said that I object to the 2 yrd passes to Moss. Dude a td is a td but from the two?! Last year we could run or pass that's what I am saying a pass picked off in the in-zone can be ran back for six or taken out to the 20. @ least a fumble is on the 1or2. You see now? :rr:
    Thanks for the sig Pack93z

I love when you take breaks from plucking your unibrow and grunting/slapping to makes posts in this forum

Underachieving

I see Duante's flaw his td passes are from the 2 or 3, your words Vegas, tht sounds like complaining about 2 or 3 yards td passes to me. So in your opinion a fumble cannot be picked up and run 100 yards for a td like an interception can ?????????? Maybe you should ask any packer fan if they would have rather have thrown the ball that Green fumbled at the 2 and Mike Brown returned to the house.

vegasvike is offline Hall of Famer

Underachieving

"ndakvikefan" wrote:
    I see Duante's flaw his td passes are from the 2 or 3, your words Vegas, tht sounds like complaining about 2 or 3 yards td passes to me. So in your opinion a fumble cannot be picked up and run 100 yards for a td like an interception can ?????????? Maybe you should ask any packer fan if they would have rather have thrown the ball that Green fumbled at the 2 and Mike Brown returned to the house.
    I guess that you don't see what I am saying if we have the talent to run it in keep the defense fogged as to what we are goin to do. If we keep droppin back from the 2 you don't think that D-coords are not goin to scheme? I'd rather have the 6 as opposed to the 3 so there is no complaining here
    Thanks for the sig Pack93z

I love when you take breaks from plucking your unibrow and grunting/slapping to makes posts in this forum

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345