Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Udeze emerging after a sack-less '06

"Ranger" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=40887.msg695593#msg695593 date=1198379350]
    [quote author=PurplePeopleEaters link=topic=40887.msg695592#msg695592 date=1198378886]
    The fact of the matter is that we really didn't need Hovan at all. Kevin Williams was emerging as a star and we eventually signed Pat to replace him in the middle. Hovan has been mediocre since leaving Minnesota.
    Probably because they are still playing him at nose tackle I believe.

He was moved over because K-Will was playing good ball & that's where the mistake was made. You can't move a player over to a different position & then expect him to play as well as he did in his previous spot.

We saw that with Hovan, Udeze last year & many times on our OL.

IMO, if you moved K-Will over to nose tackle, you'd see his performance drop as well. Different positions = different tasks.

My rule of thumb has always been, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    But it doesn't matter. Kevin is a better overall DT than hovan. We needed someone to play the Nose Tackle to make room for Kevin and Hovan wasn't able to get the job done. We moved on and signed a true Nose Tackle in Pat Williams and he's been absolutely incredible for us the past 3 years. We needed a true run stuffing DT and what Hovan was giving us wasn't enough...
    I'm basing this mainly off of stats (I think I saw one article about Hovan's positive impact in TB) but Hovan is doing exactly what he did in Minnesota. 50 tackles for a DT is pretty impressive.

I'm not saying we should have kept Hovan, just using him as a comparison to Udeze, because I think both have bounced back after two quiet years. You have a good point in recognizing that we needed Udeze, while we could afford to let Hovan go.
    Hovan was loud, obnoxious and hugely overrated by the media and fans.
    He played himself out of position far too many times.
    Randle did similar things, but made up for it by being a significantly better pass rusher than Hovan, making it easier to take the bad with the good.
    I'm quite pleased that Hovan is no longer in purple, because he wouldn't be starting for us anyway.
    Are you saying John Randle was overated my friend?
    14 NFL Season, 136.5 Sacks, vocal leader of the Vikings defense etc etc etc.

:

[/quote]

Not quite sure where you got that Randle was overrated.
    Hovan was, Randle was not.
    Randle played himself out of position at times, but he was such a force at defensive tackle as a pass rusher that it made up for it.
    More than made up for it, really.
    However, Hovan had the same bad habits without half the talent and skill Randle had.

Think of Hovan as diet-Randle-lite.
    All the recklessness, none of the productivity or leadership.
    [/quote]
    Thanks for clarifing it for me my friend.
    I guess I just missread your comment.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Udeze emerging after a sack-less '06

Little off-topic here but I saw where you guys briefly mentioned an up-and-coming KWilliams and it made me think of when he was drafted. I was watching tv and they showed the pick (that was somehow, someway sliding, and Wlliams name was called and then they showed the live film from the draft party and all I saw was 'Vikes fans with blank puzzled expressions and some guy clearly saying "who" as he looked around in confusion. It was great. Look how he turned out! ;D Here's to hoping, but I thing Udeze will have a good night.
    Tuco the world.....

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Udeze emerging after a sack-less '06 - Right or left is solid on either end

[size=13pt]Right or left, Udeze is solid on either end defensive line[/size]

Missing teammates have forced him to move around, sometimes at a sacrifice of his personal statistics, but he has been an anchor all season.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: December 24, 2007 - 12:01 AM

Kenechi Udeze isn't about to bite on the question. Asked about being forced to take a few snaps in recent games at right end, Udeze simply smiles. "I'm a team player," he says....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Udeze emerging after a sack-less '06 - Right or left is solid on either end

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Right or left, Udeze is solid on either end defensive line[/size]

Missing teammates have forced him to move around, sometimes at a sacrifice of his personal statistics, but he has been an anchor all season.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: December 24, 2007 - 12:01 AM

Kenechi Udeze isn't about to bite on the question. Asked about being forced to take a few snaps in recent games at right end, Udeze simply smiles. "I'm a team player," he says....
    I love it when a Vet acts like a vet.
    Something most people don't think about but a guy like this makes your team better for years even when he is gone.

The youngsters see how he conducts himself and they think, hey that is how I am supposed to act.
    They act like that when they are a vet and the next youngster says, hey, that is how I am supposed to act.

Long story short, it has a trickle down effect. Good vets make good vets which equates to a team.
    Bad Vets, make bad vets with equate to what you are seeing in places like Atlanta.

You go Keneche.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345