Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    davike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Udeze emerging after a sack-less '06

I have always liked Udeze...last year he wasn't much for pass rush, but he was great against the run. This year he has been all over the place. He had been great! He was in Ortons face all the time on Monday. Its good to see him having such a good season. All the people who think that the sack stat is all that matters for the DE position should be happy since his sack numbers are up
    :

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"davike" wrote:
    I have always liked Udeze...last year he wasn't much for pass rush, but he was great against the run. This year he has been all over the place. He had been great! He was in Ortons face all the time on Monday. Its good to see him having such a good season. All the people who think that the sack stat is all that matters for the DE position should be happy since his sack numbers are up
    :
    That is true, I wish there was an offical NFL stat for QB Hurries(maybe there is, I do make an $#% of myself sometimes) Because QB Hurries are as important(if not more important sometimes) than sacks.
    You get a stop, next down loss of yards, and then they have another shot.
    A QB hurry forces a QB to chuck up a bad pass and creates a turnover sometimes, we get the ball.
    Sacks aren't the end all be all.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    What Kenechi has done is what he should have been doing since we drafted him. I'm glad he turned it around, but I can't really complain about the people who were calling for his head. Until this year he was nothing more than a bust. Don't forget how high we drafted this guy.

However, despite his play on the field, I will say that he seemed to impress coaches since day one. He is finally playing as expected. It makes you want to give Erasmus another chance at the other DE spot.
    LOL! What are you talking about? He had 5 sacks his rookie year, played only 3 games his 2nd year & had a sack & played out of position last year & still lead the team with tackles for a loss.
    He had two off years. Circumstances out of his control, but a lot of players don't cut it after two seasons like that, no matter what they did before.

Chris Hovan.
    LOL! Chris Hovan was moved into the nose tackle position & that is why his sack count went down along with the poor coaching he received. He had a good year in Tampa after he left here & he always gave 100%.

Again, here we have a fan who is basing a players performance on sack count alone.

Two off years my ass. He was injured & played in 3 games. The following year he was one of the best in the league & led the Vikings with sacks
    for a loss (13).
    Hovan's overall performance went down his last two years in Minnesota. Similar to Udeze, some of it was due to circumstances out of his control. After being touted as the next John Randle, Hovan left town and was never missed. They love him in Tampa. The same thing could have easily happened to Udeze.

Where did I mention sack count? Where? Please show me. Believe or not, I actually watch the games. Last year Udeze was no better than Edwards. That is based on what I saw. Is that neccessarily a bad thing? No. He was a solid DE on a good defense last year.

In no way am I saying Udeze sucks. I just don't think he looked like first round material until this year. You can cite the reasons of injury and moving positions all you want, but the bottom line is he has had a much bigger impact on the defensive side of the ball.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    What Kenechi has done is what he should have been doing since we drafted him. I'm glad he turned it around, but I can't really complain about the people who were calling for his head. Until this year he was nothing more than a bust. Don't forget how high we drafted this guy.

However, despite his play on the field, I will say that he seemed to impress coaches since day one. He is finally playing as expected. It makes you want to give Erasmus another chance at the other DE spot.
    LOL! What are you talking about? He had 5 sacks his rookie year, played only 3 games his 2nd year & had a sack & played out of position last year & still lead the team with tackles for a loss.
    He had two off years. Circumstances out of his control, but a lot of players don't cut it after two seasons like that, no matter what they did before.

Chris Hovan.
    LOL! Chris Hovan was moved into the nose tackle position & that is why his sack count went down along with the poor coaching he received. He had a good year in Tampa after he left here & he always gave 100%.

Again, here we have a fan who is basing a players performance on sack count alone.

Two off years my ass. He was injured & played in 3 games. The following year he was one of the best in the league & led the Vikings with sacks
    for a loss
    (13).
    damn didnt know you could have a sack where they gain yardage. maybe thats why i never win at madden...
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

"mr.woo" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

Chris Hovan.
    geez forgot all about that guy. he used to be a B-E-A-S-T
    I know!!!! He used to be my favorite player. way more than moss or anybody else. He was a freakin animal on the field. Still wear his jersey every now and then.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Not sure if I want to start praising this guy yet. I keep on thinking about KGB.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Does anyone besides me, feel that if the Vikings had cut/traded every player & axed every coach & coordinator whose head was called for in various threads here during the off-season, pre-season & eary regular season, that the Dolphins would have a 1 game lead on us?
    Didn't I start a thread that pointed out that there were actual differences between the RDE and LDE positions in a base 4-3 defense?

Silly people still argued with me.
    ;D
    You my friend were one of the few on my side defending Udeze when several here claimed that the number of sacks one had was the only important stat in determining whether a DE was a bust or not.

That was despite pointing out to them that yet while playing out of position, Udeze lead the team with 13 tackles for a loss.
    i was on Udeze side too!

Thanks josdin00

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"mr.woo" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

Chris Hovan.

for a loss
    (13).
    damn didnt know you could have a sack where they gain yardage. maybe thats why i never win at madden...
    That was supposed to be "tackles for a loss", but in essence is a RB sack, FB sack, etc....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"V" wrote:

In no way am I saying Udeze sucks. I just don't think he looked like first round material until this year. You can cite the reasons of injury and moving positions all you want, but the bottom line is he has had a much bigger impact on the defensive side of the ball.
    I have to agree with you there. He hasn't had much of an impact on the offensive side of the ball.

;D

"V" wrote:

Hovan's overall performance went down his last two years in Minnesota. Similar to Udeze, some of it was due to circumstances out of his control. After being touted as the next John Randle, Hovan left town and was never missed. They love him in Tampa. The same thing could have easily happened to Udeze.
    That's the problem I see happening all the time. The players themselves don't usually tout themsevles. Hovan never said he was the next John Randle. It's the fans & the media that hype the player up.

Then, when a player doesn't live up to what the fan or media expects him to be, they cast him off as a bust or mediocre.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast