Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Tyrell Johnson ready to break out from under mentor's shadow

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_12068997?nclick_check=1
    "I make no excuses for myself," Johnson said, "but I didn't make near as many plays as I'm capable of making. I just have to get the system down, and I know I can make plays, and I can get as many interceptions as anyone in the league or as many tackles.

"It's just about me getting comfortable, point blank."
    I'm pretty excited to see what he brings to the table, he's got 6 games and his rookie season under his belt, time to bring it.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Tyrell Johnson ready to break out from under mentor's shadow

Like I said a hundred times. This guy was the best safety in his class for the draft. He is going to get better. I thought he played decent last year. He will be a beast.

"He took some plays that made it look like he got beat, and it might have been my fault," Johnson said. "But he never pointed fingers, and he always encouraged me."
    LOL, take that Sharper haters!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    Like I said a hundred times. This guy was the best safety in his class for the draft. He is going to get better. I thought he played decent last year. He will be a beast.

"He took some plays that made it look like he got beat, and it might have been my fault," Johnson said. "But he never pointed fingers, and he always encouraged me."
    How does Tyrell being a good guy and giving some credit change that Sharper missed tackles (you remember those), failed to pick up a fumble at the goal line (you remember that one) or made only 1 interception last year?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

I like Tyrell I guess will see what happens.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

How does Tyrell being a good guy and giving some credit change that Sharper missed tackles (you remember those), failed to pick up a fumble at the goal line (you remember that one) or made only 1 interception last year?

=Z=
    Sharper missed a couple tackles but not enough to say he sucks. The fumble thing also happened to Cedric one time, he just got lucky and got it back. How many INTs did Cedric have last year? How many INTs did our whole team have?

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

Tyrell is a cool guy, i've played basketball a couple times this week.. he is a FREAK of an athlete and I'm hoping he grows into a great player

Thanks josdin00

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I was ready to move on from Sharper, not that I didn't like him or was a quote "hater". I just want this guy on the field with Mad Williams. These two make an exelent Tampa 2 Safety Combo. I like Tyrell's Swagger and I seen it in his college play, I called him "Mini EJ". Thats what I expect from this guy, I don't know how good he will be this year, I do expect a jump but when he's in his prime I fully expect a "Pro Bowler Caliber Impact." The difference between this kid and Sharper is that Tyrell believes in the system, and he believes he's going to make the plays. Sharper was not cool with the system, he needs to float around to get his Ints...

IMO adding this kid to our starting unit is going to improve our defense and its exactly why I don't worry about loosing a 33 year old Sharper. Adding Johnson to our defense gives us an even more dominant run defense. I expect his backfield skills to be improved with his early experience. Its all about him getting comfortable like he said.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

By the way just to give out some prior history, Tyrell was ranked #17 on our overall board the year we drafted him at #42. Essentially he's a first round talent in our minds, Adrian Peterson, Chad Greenway, Jared Allen(Trade), and Tyrell Johnson. So far three of these players are very good if not Elite. If Tyrell pans out as I expect that gives our orginization a 4/4 on first round impacts. IMO thats a job well done. We also drafted and developed a damn good CB we used a 2nd Round Pick on in Cedric Griffin. If Tarvaris Jackson pans out and turns into a consistent impact the Childress Era will shine. What about Rice? It can take several years for young(22) WR's like Rice to fully mature in this league, if his knees are healthy next year I expect him to be an impact player.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    I was ready to move on from Sharper, not that I didn't like him or was a quote "hater". I just want this guy on the field with Mad Williams. These two make an exelent Tampa 2 Safety Combo. I like Tyrell's Swagger and I seen it in his college play, I called him "Mini EJ". Thats what I expect from this guy, I don't know how good he will be this year, I do expect a jump but when he's in his prime I fully expect a "Pro Bowler Caliber Impact." The difference between this kid and Sharper is that Tyrell believes in the system, and he believes he's going to make the plays. Sharper was not cool with the system, he needs to float around to get his Ints...

IMO adding this kid to our starting unit is going to improve our defense and its exactly why I don't worry about loosing a 33 year old Sharper. Adding Johnson to our defense gives us an even more dominant run defense. I expect his backfield skills to be improved with his early experience. Its all about him getting comfortable like he said.
    Well said..I fully agree
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingsTw" wrote:

Good stuff Tw.

I actually think that by midseason next year he's going to be extremely effective. When a talent like him is placed into a defense with this much talent they're forced to mature quickly, and I really think that helps in their development into a great player. Look at guys like Greenway, Ed Reed, Brandon Merriweather, LaMarr Woodley, and Jerrod Mayo. All placed onto excellent teams and they developed quickly. I think Johnson should be able to do the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast