NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Two Vikings pre-season games place in Top 10 List....

August 3, 2006 7:24 PM
    Back to KFAN

Training Camp Notebook: 10 Preseason Games to Watch (Seriously)
    Last Update: 8/3/2006 11:20:50 AM

When it comes to the NFL preseason, we tend to remember only the negative.

,Michael Vick breaking his fibula following a hit by the Ravens' Adalius Thomas in 2003.

Rex Grossman missing most of 2005 after having his ankle broken against the St. Louis Rams.

The Ravens leaving town rather than playing on the sketchy surface at the Vet, and classy Eagles fans throwing trash on the visitors as they boarded their buses.

Those god-awful fourth quarters that play kind of like rec-league flag football games, and include roughly the same number of familiar players.

And you are well within your rights to whine about the meaninglessness of the games, or the injuries, or the general absence of stars, but know that when you do, you're pretty much wasting your energy. Because much like Carson Daly, preseason football in the NFL is dull, but it's not going away anytime soon.

So let's accentuate the positive, shall we?

We have sifted through the NFL's 65 preseason battles, and managed to come up with 10 that carry at least some amount of intrigue. Here goes:

Oakland vs. Philadelphia, Canton, 8/6 (NBC) The Hall of Fame Game is usually poorly played and terribly boring, but this year's tilt should be mildly more entertaining, at least for television viewers. That's because it will mark the first of NBC's Sunday night broadcasts, the first time the peacock network has shown the NFL over its air since the 1997 season. Al Michaels and John Madden will be doing the telecast, and thankfully, we won't have to sit through the hackneyed routines of Hank Williams, Jr. or the utterly talentless Tim McGraw when we tune in.

Pittsburgh at Arizona, 8/12 (NFL Network) The first Saturday of the preseason will see the long-moribund Arizona franchise embark upon a new era, as Cardinals Stadium opens its doors for the first time. The 63,400-seat, retractable roof edifice's most notable feature is a removable-tray grass playing surface, which is rolled outside of the stadium to absorb the Arizona sunlight when not in use. Another unique amenity of the new building is that the Cardinals will actually be playing in front of some paying customers for a change.

New Orleans at Tennessee, 8/12 Personnel matters are of course subject to change during the first week of the preseason, but if all goes reasonably well between now and then, this contest will feature newly-minted pros Reggie Bush and Vince Young on the same field for the first time since USC fell to Texas in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 4th. As rookies, Bush and Young figure to see more time in this game than will veterans such as Drew Brees, who should also being making his debut in a Saints uniform.

Oakland at Minnesota, 8/14 (ESPN) OK, so it's not as sexy a storyline as T.O.'s return to Philly, but you can expect there to be some tension in the building when Randy Moss makes his first trip back to Minnesota since the trade sending him to the Raiders was finalized in the winter of '05. Randy isn't likely to play much, if at all, and with Mike Tice and Daunte Culpepper both gone, the bad blood might not boil quite as hot. But Vikings fans will show up and boo, and it will certainly be interesting to see how Moss handles himself.

Minnesota at Pittsburgh, 8/19 The Super Bowl champs take Heinz Field for the first time since hoisting the Lombardi Trophy in February, and the team will actually be playing its first home game since last year's regular season finale. Fans in the Steel City will be eager to see how the first-team offense runs without Jerome Bettis and Antwaan Randle El, and will also be paying close attention to the play of their recovering daredevil, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Miami at Carolina, 8/24 (FOX) Green Bay at Cincinnati, 8/28 (ESPN) If the Dolphins' Daunte Culpepper and Bengals' Carson Palmer, both of whom are coming off major knee injuries, are both serious about being ready for opening day, it stands to reason that they'll be expected to take some live preseason snaps. If that is to happen, the occasion is likely to be the third week of the preseason. Interestingly, Culpepper would be going up against the Panthers, the very team that knocked him out for the year last Oct. 30th. If either player sees time before the curtain lifts on the regular season, don't expect scrambling to be part of the show.

N.Y. Giants at N.Y. Jets, 8/25 The annual confrontation between the two main occupants of the Meadowlands Sports Complex will include a bit of additional intrigue this time around. Since it will be the third preseason game, the final battle among the Jets' many participants in the quarterback competition will likely be receiving their best shot to lay claim to a starting job. Also, the Jets will have a chance to exact revenge for that bitter 15-14 preseason loss to the G-Men last year (anyone remember that?).

San Francisco at Dallas, 8/26 Terrell Owens makes his first Texas Stadium appearance as a Cowboy in this, Dallas' third contest of the preseason. How supporters of "America's Team" receive the man who once memorably posed on the midfield star as a member of the 49ers will bear watching (hint: they won't boo him). This game is also likely to be the best chance for observers to see extended work from T.O. until the regular season begins.

St. Louis at Miami, 8/31 The final week of the preseason is typically awful, but if there is a game among the 16 that contains some intrigue, this would be the one. Returning to Miami will be head coach and former Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, as well as '05 Fins QB starter Gus Frerotte, who as the Rams' probable No. 2 quarterback figures to see some significant minutes. Honorable mention on Preseason Week Four has Buffalo returning to Detroit, where new Bills head coach Dick Jauron failed his audition as interim coach during the latter stages of '05.

Some news and notes from the opening days of August camp:

ROOKIE WATCH

It's been mostly quiet on the rookie holdout front, and there can be little argument that that is a very, very good thing. Of the 32 first-round picks only four - Bills safety Donte Whitner (No. 8 overall), Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart (No. 10), Eagles defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley (No. 14), and Dolphins safety Jason Allen (No. 16) have yet to sign on the dotted line. Of the quartet, only Whitner is squabbling over dollars and cents, as the player that made a surprise move into the Top 10 of April's draft reportedly wants $14 million in guaranteed money, and the Bills are offering closer to $13 million. Leinart, Bunkley, and Allen are all stuck on contract length, as the players want five-year deals and their new employers wish to exercise their new-found right (according to the new collective bargaining agreement) to ink the first 16 players in the draft to six-year pacts.

HEY PORTER

The tension is mounting in Raiders camp, as starting wideout Jerry Porter and new head coach Art Shell are apparently at odds over the player's work habits and attitude, causing Porter and his agent to seek a trade and the Silver and Black not to fight that action. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the rift started over the team's offseason workout program. Shell and the coaching staff wanted Porter to participate in the formal team program, Porter preferred to work out on his own in Florida. A dispute between player and coach ensued, and the two have not spoken since.

The trouble for the Raiders is that the organization would take a major cap hit in moving him, and are reportedly asking too high a price in exchange for his services - two first-round picks - for other teams to show serious interest. The 28-year-old Porter, who has 140 catches for 1,940 yards and 14 touchdowns over the past two seasons combined, undoubtedly has No. 1 ability, but his problem child persona has turned off many potential suitors willing to mull over his price tag. Still, there are several teams in the league with serious receiver needs (see: Buccaneers, Eagles, Falcons, Packers, Bears, 49ers, Jaguars, Jets, Bills, Chiefs, and Falcons), and as camp rolls on, expect one to give into its desperation for a playmaker and roll the dice on Porter.

JET-SET? So much for an open competition, huh? The Newark Star-Ledger reported on Wednesday that in spite of what was supposed to be a four-man battle for the Jets' starting quarterback job, new head coach Eric Mangini had crowned oft- injured Chad Pennington the starter heading into 2006. Predictably, Mangini refuted the report, telling the media on the day it was published that Pennington, Patrick Ramsey, Brooks Bollinger, and second-round draft choice Kellen Clemens were all still contending for the job. However, it indeed seems likely that if healthy (a big "if" considering the fact that he comes off a pair of rotator cuff surgeries), Pennington will be in the lineup when the team travels to Tennessee on Sept. 10th. The former Marshall star, who hasn't taken a live snap since succumbing to his injury for the second time last Sept. 25th, has according to teammates been throwing with his pre-injury velocity, which doesn't make him John Elway, but at least makes him the odds- on favorite to emerge from the team's QB field

I don't get the part about Moss being booooooed on his return, I would be happy to see him return and put some playing time in....I wouldn't booooo him.......I would like to believe, most Vikings fans wouldn't....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Two Vikings pre-season games place in Top 10 List....

geesh took me 1/2 hr to read that post lol

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

I don't get the part about Moss being booooooed on his return, I would be happy to see him return and put some playing time in....I wouldn't booooo him.......I would like to believe, most Vikings fans wouldn't....
    a lot of people will, most fans dont actually know that much about the behind the scenes information, and probably think it was all moss's fault and deserved be ousted

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"nephilimstorm" wrote:
    geesh took me 1/2 hr to read that post lol
    LMAO, yeah, I never did say I was good at cut and paste...LOL... Sorry, maybe I'll go back and try to edit out the junk...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Some of those are lame reasons to watch preseason games. I watch because I have been deprived for 6 months and I'm willing to watch any sort of football, even the backups. It's also nice to see fresh new faces wearing your team's uniform.

Moss's true return will be during a regular season game.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Moss will probabaly play the entire game and just tear our d apart! lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

vikingTurf Guest

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    a lot of people will, most fans dont actually know that much about the behind the scenes information, and probably think it was all moss's fault and deserved be ousted
    I don;t see any reason why he should be booed, he was the reason for all those sellouts and the excitements fan got to enjoy, they should applaud his return, not boo.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

they dont even talk about us when we play pitsburg
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingTurf" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    I don;t see any reason why he should be booed, he was the reason for all those sellouts and the excitements fan got to enjoy, they should applaud his return, not boo.
    i know that, i love moss, always will.

a lot of fans are extremely ignorant however

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese