Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Two Headed Monster/RB questions?

Is morency even on a roster??? i doubt it!!!

Frostbite is offline Coach

"Frostbite" wrote:
    Hi folks. I am one of the few that thinks it is possible that Chester Taylor might ask for a trade before next season. (I Hope I am Wrong)

I have a few questions that I would like to get some feed back about from all of you.

1. If Taylor does want out of Minnesota what direction should be go with a trade?? Draft pick/another Vet player?? Combo?? Obviously we want the best deal possible. What might that consist of?

2. If he does stay with Peterson in the backfield this season, how often should these backs take turns in the lineup?? (I remember seeing them switch in and out on every other series, and often every other play)

There has been a lot of discussion already about Chester Taylors Fumble issues and dropped passes on several threads, but rarely any speculation on why he had such a poor season with these areas.

3. Why do you think he put so many on the turf in 07?

I have a theory that some of it could be (Possibly) because of to much rotation with AD. My thinking on this was based on hearing what other players have said about substituting in and out of games (Alternating series) and my own experiences as a younger player.

4. Could part of C.Tays troubles be because of lack of concentration/not getting into the flow of the game/coming in virtually cold after every offensive series??
    (I hated starting at my position and having to come out of the game for a few plays cooling down and then trying to go again at full tilt after sitting for more than 5-8 minutes.) Can you get into the rythm of the game as well with excessive substitutions? Is that even a consideration at this level of play?

5. Could Injuries be more of a factor when players rotate like this??

Just curious about what you all think about this.

Thanks ahead of time for your answers/thoughts.

Cheers!

There are a lot of parts/questions in this post. I was hoping some of the faithful here would read it...think about it...and participate with some answers for the rest of us. So far there have been a few answers to one or two of the talking points. Would appreciate a few more...especially with regard to question number 2 and number 3.

Thanks...

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Frostbite" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:
    Hi folks. I am one of the few that thinks it is possible that Chester Taylor might ask for a trade before next season. (I Hope I am Wrong)

I have a few questions that I would like to get some feed back about from all of you.

1. If Taylor does want out of Minnesota what direction should be go with a trade?? Draft pick/another Vet player?? Combo?? Obviously we want the best deal possible. What might that consist of?

2. If he does stay with Peterson in the backfield this season, how often should these backs take turns in the lineup?? (I remember seeing them switch in and out on every other series, and often every other play)

There has been a lot of discussion already about Chester Taylors Fumble issues and dropped passes on several threads, but rarely any speculation on why he had such a poor season with these areas.

I have a theory that some of it could be (Possibly) because of to much rotation with AD. My thinking on this was based on hearing what other players have said about substituting in and out of games (Alternating series) and my own experiences as a younger player.

4. Could part of C.Tays troubles be because of lack of concentration/not getting into the flow of the game/coming in virtually cold after every offensive series??
    (I hated starting at my position and having to come out of the game for a few plays cooling down and then trying to go again at full tilt after sitting for more than 5-8 minutes.) Can you get into the rythm of the game as well with excessive substitutions? Is that even a consideration at this level of play?

Cheers!

There are a lot of parts/questions in this post. I was hoping some of the faithful here would read it...think about it...and participate with some answers for the rest of us. So far there have been a few answers to one or two of the talking points. Would appreciate a few more...especially with regard to question number 2 and number 3.

Thanks...

Cheers!
    UHHH who knows why the bama fumbles the ball.... obviously he wasn't holding it tight enough or just a lack of concentration... alot of teams use the two back system and for people to say it's because he plays every-other series is ridiculous.. IMO..

Tiki was an everydown back and fumbled all the time until Coughlin helped him hold onto the ball.. and even ricky watters had a fumbling problem... not a rb but i don't even want to mention culpepepper and his baby hands...

who knows... but the dude needs to right that for sure... i highly doubt it's due to the two back system we implore... tho..

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

If I was CT, I would ask for a trade.
    As far as the Vikings and the trade, I think that they would be for it.
    As a fan, I would love to have him here next year but I know that may not be the best thing going.
    The team has to take on the attitude that AD will play full time next year.
    If CT makes it as a Viking to the end of his contract, he will not stay, he will go compete for a starting job, JMHO.
    At the end of his contract he is worthless to us unless we labeled him a RFA.
    Anyone know if he will be a UFA or a RFA?

We have to assume AD will be healthy all season and that Moore can back him up.

As far as why he put the rock on the ground, probably a lack of concentration brought on by complacency.
    Who knows the answer to that one, CT probably doesn't even know or he would have corrected it.
    Or maybe he was trying to do too much in an attempt to keep up with AD and didn't keep the concentration on keeping the rock up against his body. ?? ?? ?? ??

As far as how many touches he should get, if he stays, only when AD can't go.
    I think that the only reason they split any time was because of AD's inexperience.

Who knows, maybe CT will be happy making a couple million a year as a back up and will stay on the team.
    He wanted a chance to shine, got one for a year and the new kid comes in and upstages him in his second year with the team.
    What would have happened if he wouldn't have hurt himself in the ATL game.
    Would AD have had the season he had?
    Would CT have made kept his starting role all season and made the 1200 yard rushing mark?

"snowinapril" wrote:
    If I was CT, I would ask for a trade.
    As far as the Vikings and the trade, I think that they would be for it.
    As a fan, I would love to have him here next year but I know that may not be the best thing going.
    The team has to take on the attitude that AD will play full time next year.
    If CT makes it as a Viking to the end of his contract, he will not stay, he will go compete for a starting job, JMHO.
    At the end of his contract he is worthless to us unless we labeled him a RFA.
    Anyone know if he will be a UFA or a RFA?

We have to assume AD will be healthy all season and that Moore can back him up.

As far as why he put the rock on the ground, probably a lack of concentration brought on by complacency.
    Who knows the answer to that one, CT probably doesn't even know or he would have corrected it.
    Or maybe he was trying to do too much in an attempt to keep up with AD and didn't keep the concentration on keeping the rock up against his body. ?? ?? ?? ??

As far as how many touches he should get, if he stays, only when AD can't go.
    I think that the only reason they split any time was because of AD's inexperience.

Who knows, maybe CT will be happy making a couple million a year as a back up and will stay on the team.
    He wanted a chance to shine, got one for a year and the new kid comes in and upstages him in his second year with the team.
    What would have happened if he wouldn't have hurt himself in the ATL game.
    Would AD have had the season he had?
    Would CT have made kept his starting role all season and made the 1200 yard rushing mark?

Thanks snowinapril...I like your take on this. I too felt like the lack of concentration was the key factor. Obviously he knows how to carry the ball at this point in his career. I think Alternating the backs to much is a bad thing personally. I know a few folks commented that other teams do it, but I was wondering if the Top RBs (Most Yards This Season) were in and out as much as AD and C.Tay were? I know AD was injured but I don't believe his yardage gain would have gone up all that much against the stacked box he would have faced if he did play in those games.

When it's the same guy for most of the carries he stays more mentally alert and has the best chance to get into the rythm of the offense. This in turn, I believe helps concentration. In addition defenses can't guess as well about when and where (Which Downs) you are going to run when the main back is in for most of the game. I also believe that injuries....especially muscle pulls/strains and tears occur more often to players that rotate in and out to much during a game. I have no documentation/stats to show this and many would say it's non-sense but over the years of watching games and participating in sports most of the leg/knee and foot injuries I saw happened after players had been out and sitting on the sidelines after first being stretched and warmed up and then having the relax/cooling, and then having to go back in and perform at top level again after sitting. It's just an observation I have made over many years and certainly not backed up by any injury stats I have seen. Maybe only a coincidence??

Cheers!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Chilly doesn't put in AD or Tayor based on trying to even out the carries or anyting like that. He puts them in based on the play calling. There's no way to answer your question.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Chilly doesn't put in AD or Tayor based on trying to even out the carries or anyting like that. He puts them in based on the play calling. There's no way to answer your question.
    Then....is Bevel calling the right plays?? I mean it seems strange to me to see these guys alternated so much. I would venture to say it didn't help them as RBs or our offense as a whole by the outcome we saw over and over again doing this.

Thanks COJOMAY

Cheers!

"Frostbite" wrote:

I really think that if Chester wants a trade we don't do it.
    If he holds out, we let him.
    I can't believe we get anywhere near value for the guy, and he just doesn't have any leverage as long as we have AD.

I always felt that guys should switch off for one of these reasons if anything:
    1) long run (tired)
    2) 3rd and long (passing situation)
    3) alternate drives
    4) injury
    5) fumble/bad play

It seems like Childress also likes switching them for certain plays/packages.
    I think you'd prefer not to have to do that as it clues the defense in on what you're doing.
    As AD becomes a better all-around back, I expect this will change.

I don't think this is necessarily it.
    I just think it's kind of a combination of him being average/below-average holding onto the ball and then some bad luck.
    He's fumbled about every 70 touches over his career, which isn't terrible but isn't great.
    This year he was a little worse than that, and then he had two fumbles against Denver, including the one on the top of the orange post.
    I say that's within the margin of error.
    I would expect him to be a 1 every 70 touches type guy the rest of his career.

Cheers!
    I don't think so.
    No stats or anything to back it up, but I tend to think injuries are pretty random.
    The only thing I can think that might increase the likelihood of an injury would be fatigue.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Thnaks Overlord....nice response and a lot to consider.

Cheers!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Frostbite" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:

Cheers!

Thanks...

Cheers!
    Not sure what to say. You pretty much summed up everything I have been saying since draft day and getting slammed for it. Only time will tell and that is part of the fun of this sports soap opera. ;D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast