NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Two games in and it's clear: Jackson isn't ready for this

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Jeeeeeezzzzzz.
    What the hell am I missing here?
    We knew he wasn't ready this year.

Has the instant gratification guys took over after only two games?

Isn't it an agreed upon fact that he is pretty gol 'darnit green but has all the tools to be an effective QB in this league after he gets some experience?

Fix our OL problems, give the kids some time to at least read a defense and get the ball out before we go ahead and pooh can him.

It's funny that last year they were begging to throw him in knowing full well he was still "green".

"Anyone's better than Johnson", they said.

"He's our saviour", they said.

"Let him learn & perfect his skills on the field", they said.

"Sure he'll make mistakes", they said, "But he'll learn as he gains more experience."

Well now that they got exactly what they wanted & what they expected, they are calling for his head.

LMAO!

Exactly right Singer.
    He is green and learning.
    That has never been disputed.
    Anyone who thought he was going to come in here and not have a game or two like the one against Detroit was kidding themselves.
    And, anyone who looks at the game against Detroit and questions TJ's ability to ever play at an NFL level is equally delusional.

The question Childress is facing isn't whether or not TJ is ready to be the starter.
    The question he is facing is what would be the best way, in the long run, for TJ to become a starter.
    Would he benefit more from being in the game and gaining experience, or would he benefit more from sitting out a few games and watching Kelly Holcomb play.

I believe at this point that TJ will benefit more from being in the game.
    The biggest reason I believe this is because I think Kelly Holcomb will perform better if we put him in instead.
    Stay with me for a second, this will make sense in a bit.
    If Holcomb comes in and performs well against KC and Green Bay, Childress won't take him back out.
    TJack will have lost his starting position, and likely won't gain it back this season unless Holcomb gets injured.
    Then next season rolls around, and we will be right back where we are now.
    Holcomb is not a long term solution, and unless we get a QB in FA or trade (not a lot out there - just ask Oakland and Atlanta), we would be left with TJ and possibly some rookie.

But if we leave TJ in for the long haul this season, one of two things will happen. He will either get it by then end of the season, or he won't.
    If he doesn't, that leaves us in good position to draft a new QB.
    But if he does, which I think he will, we are still in the race for this year, and looking very good for next year.

Just my rambling 2 pesos.
    I am officially done speculating on this until after the KC game.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Jeeeeeezzzzzz.

Isn't it an agreed upon fact that he is pretty gol 'darnit green but has all the tools to be an effective QB in this league after he gets some experience?

Fix our OL problems, give the kids some time to at least read a defense and get the ball out before we go ahead and pooh can him.

It's funny that last year they were begging to throw him in knowing full well he was still "green".

"Sure he'll make mistakes", they said, "But he'll learn as he gains more experience."

Well now that they got exactly what they wanted & what they expected, they are calling for his head.

LMAO!

Exactly right Singer.
    Anyone who thought he was going to come in here and not have a game or two like the one against Detroit was kidding themselves.
    And, anyone who looks at the game against Detroit and questions TJ's ability to ever play at an NFL level is equally delusional.

The question Childress is facing isn't whether or not TJ is ready to be the starter.
    The question he is facing is what would be the best way, in the long run, for TJ to become a starter.
    Would he benefit more from being in the game and gaining experience, or would he benefit more from sitting out a few games and watching Kelly Holcomb play.

The biggest reason I believe this is because I think Kelly Holcomb will perform better if we put him in instead.
    If Holcomb comes in and performs well against KC and Green Bay, Childress won't take him back out.
    TJack will have lost his starting position, and likely won't gain it back this season unless Holcomb gets injured.
    Holcomb is not a long term solution, and unless we get a QB in FA or trade (not a lot out there - just ask Oakland and Atlanta), we would be left with TJ and possibly some rookie.

But if we leave TJ in for the long haul this season, one of two things will happen. He will either get it by then end of the season, or he won't.
    But if he does, which I think he will, we are still in the race for this year, and looking very good for next year.

i am glad not all of us viking fans have knee jerk reactions in regards to our qb of the future
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

While its hard seeing him lose games for us, I agree with you dudes.

If it takes a few road losses for him to learn to take the sack or throw it away, instead of forcing bad passes, thats ok with me.

I wish it didn't have to be against a division opponent, but in the new NFC North, that is what we can expect.

People will always act like its a surprise that we don't go 16-0. And it will always blow my mind.
    :
    -Sno

ballhog27 is offline Rookie

Tavaris Jackson's problem is not so much that he isn't a good passer, its the lack of receivers to through it too. I admit that
    the Vikings bumbled again in the draft when they took him as he was projected to go in the 5th round but now that we have him we must at least give him this year and the next to develope. Hopefully if he doesn't pan out it will at least force Vikes officials to fire a certain coach.
    "Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure."
    - Knute Rockne

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Jackson is green and we all knew he would be. But he's maybe "not ready for prime time yet."
    We started him two games last year. He got four pre-season starts. He worked as hard this summer according to Childress as a QB can work. He spent countless hours playing 7 on 7 in traing camp where he faced a good rush time after time.
    If he isn't ready now, when will he be?
    I think ballhog hit on part of the problem and that is quality receivers, but it's more than that. He just cannot throw the ball accurately downfield.
    We're going to lose several games this year with him but most people here thought an 8-8 or 9-7 season would be about what we should expect. Most people here believed if we went 3-1 by the bye week we'd be in good shape.
    But more and more I don't think Jackson is the answer. I'm willing to give him some more time but with the understanding that if we do we are going to continue to lose more games than we win.
    I don't think the answer is drafting another QB next year. I think because we have so much money in the cap we should go for a good experienced QB as a free agent. Right now I don't who that would be but it's becoming more and more obvious to me that Jackson has a good arm, but he just doesn't have the complete skills to be a NFL QB yet.
    I think Childress knows that too when he makes statements like, "We just want him to stay in control."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Jeeeeeezzzzzz.

LMAO!

Exactly right Singer.

Well put. I agree. TJ needs to gain experience. His mistakes were errors in judgement for the most part. Decision based errors aren't corrected on the bench.

However, if TJ can't play due to his groin injury, I have no desire to watch Bollinger flail around.

And Sowhand is the worst. But in this article, his premise,at least, merits debate.(never thought I would say that).
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    ...I believe at this point that TJ will benefit more from being in the game.

But if he does, which I think he will, we are still in the race for this year, and looking very good for next year....
    This is the crux of the discussion all offseason.
    There were two main rational camps, the let him sit and learn and get a vet and the play him and see how he works out camp.
    The delusional 'he is a hero' and 'he will never amount to anything' crowds have been ignored by the folks that use their noggin' for something other than giving their neck a purpose.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    People will always act like its a surprise that we don't go 16-0. And it will always blow my mind.
    :
    Unfortunately, the NFL doesn't have a "Rookie" level of difficulty.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

Have you guys thought that maybe TJ isnt cut out to be a starter in the NFL? Alot of QBs aernt meant to be starters. Some just dont pan out. Have you thought maybe Childress didnt know what he was doing when he drafted him? I admit its too early to tell now, but there is the possibility TJ isnt the right man for the job. Look at his INTs. They aernt forced passes where he just missed his receiver. They are almost all balls he just throws up for grabs and hopes someones close. When the WR has a step or 2, the ball is either overthrown or way underthrown.

In the 2 years he has been with us, I havent seen anything to make me think, this is the guy. This is someone who can move us up in the NFL, so we will be talked about in the same breath as the Colts or Pats. I hate the idea of wasting a season or 2 more on someone who isnt worth it.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"CCthebest" wrote:
    Have you guys thought that maybe TJ isnt cut out to be a starter in the NFL? Alot of QBs aernt meant to be starters. Some just dont pan out. Have you thought maybe Childress didnt know what he was doing when he drafted him? I admit its too early to tell now, but there is the possibility TJ isnt the right man for the job. Look at his INTs. They aernt forced passes where he just missed his receiver. They are almost all balls he just throws up for grabs and hopes someones close. When the WR has a step or 2, the ball is either overthrown or way underthrown.

In the 2 years he has been with us, I havent seen anything to make me think, this is the guy. This is someone who can move us up in the NFL, so we will be talked about in the same breath as the Colts or Pats. I hate the idea of wasting a season or 2 more on someone who isnt worth it.
    I hate the idea of a bunch of arm-chair coaches babbling mindlessly about what those who truly know the sport can or can not do.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast