ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

TV types dispense advice

[size=10pt]TV types dispense advice[/size]

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15336638.htm

No. 1 receiver big need; QB Jackson impresses
    BY DON SEEHOLZER and MARCUS FULLER
    Pioneer Press
    Sean Salisbury and Mark Schlereth are paid to argue for a living, but there are a couple of things on which the ESPN NFL analysts agree:

The Vikings need to get a No. 1 receiver, with Koren Robinson likely gone for the season and perhaps for good following last week's DWI arrest; and rookie Tarvaris Jackson has the right stuff to open the season as the No. 2 quarterback.

Starting with wide receiver, Salisbury said on an ESPN conference call Tuesday that the Vikings should be exploring all trade possibilities to replace Robinson, who has been excused from team activities while the club awaits developments on the NFL and legal fronts.

"Do the Vikings need to find somebody? Yeah," Salisbury said. "Does that mean you go out and try to get Jerry Porter, Donte Stallworth, Ashley Lelie? They've got to look... .We were still not even sure this year if Koren Robinson at the wide receiver position could take over a game."

Lelie was traded Tuesday night from Denver to Atlanta and Oakland has effectively taken Porter off the market with its asking price of at least a No. 1 draft choice. That leaves New Orleans' Stallworth the best of the reportedly available receivers.

Schlereth agreed the Vikings should be looking for a starting receiver but said they also need more from their current No. 1.

"Troy Williamson needs to step up," he said. "He needs to become a premier deep-threat, pass-catching receiver."

Both analysts said they have been impressed by Jackson, who has moved past veteran Mike McMahon in the race for the No. 2 quarterback job.

"He kind of reminds me of a guy that used to play there," Salisbury said, an obvious reference to Daunte Culpepper. "He's very big, he's fast and he can throw. He has a chance to be great in this league... . I can understand why they like him there. Not only do I think he's a great backup, but I think they got themselves a pretty good quarterback."

Johnson on Jackson: Brad Johnson is leaving the No. 2 decision to the coaches, but the Vikings' starting quarterback is another Jackson fan.

"I have no say in that, but he listens, he learns," Johnson said. "He learns from his good plays and his bad plays. He doesn't make the same mistake twice, and that's usually the sign of a good quarterback. You need to be able to do it on a consistent, daily basis, but in the two preseason games he's played, he's handled himself well."

Asked if Jackson has shown he can handle the No. 2 job, Johnson said: "It takes time. You're always growing. I'm still growing right now in my 15th year. That's where he's taking his game, so it will be fun to watch him."

Serenity now: It's easier said than done, but offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell is among those who believe McMahon's performance would improve if he would just relax.

"He's a tough competitor, and he's his own worst critic," Bevell said. "He puts a lot of pressure on himself, and I think he might be pressing just a little bit. We know what his abilities are, and he just has to do what he can do. He doesn't have to be Brad; he doesn't have to be Tarvaris. He just has to be Mike McMahon and play to his abilities."

Calling all returners: Cornerback Ronyell Whitaker fielded some kickoffs at the end of the morning practice and will be used as a return man in Friday night's game against Baltimore.

With Mewelde Moore hurt and Williamson elevated to No. 1 receiver, rookie running back Wendell Mathis is the only available player who has returned a kickoff this preseason.

Injury update: Linebacker Rod Davis returned to practice after missing Monday because of a bruised quadricep.

Moore (knee) is expected to miss his second consecutive game, but he worked on the field with trainers, as did linebacker Marcus Lawrence (knee) and cornerback Charles Gordon (knee).

Tight end Richard Owens (back) did not practice, and wide receiver Kevin Kasper (ankle) still is on crutches.

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: TV types dispense advice

Salisbury is such a tool!
    Sean was one of the worst QB's we have had and he didnt improve when he left the Vikings.
    Now suddenly he is an expert on everything...he must've stayed at a Holiday Inn or something.
    Good job stating the obvious Sean. :P

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I am hoping that Kevin Kasper gets back on his feet.
    I thought it was just a high ankle sprain.
    He certainately isn't starting material, but he is a good backup and (IMHO) was underutilized in New England.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I disagree that the Vikes need to add another receiver -- and it seems the Vikings feel that way, too because they have said so. I think we are going to be surprised by a couple of receivers we've already got -- like Jason Carter. Thing young man has stepped up and "wowed" everyone. He seems to catch everything thrown his way.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

I also do not think we need another receiver.
    Williamson just needs to make sure he stretches the defense a little bit so Brad can pass short and the running game can move.
    We can solve poverty today.

Prophet Guest

We are totally screwed.
    First Lelie goes with Mexico, now Porter is staying with Brooks.
    We are screwed.
    No doubt.

[size=2pt]Just checking to see if my lobotomy has kicked in yet.[/size]

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    We are totally screwed.
    We are screwed.
    No doubt.

Yep...it's kicked in!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

rjmac is offline Training Camp

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I disagree that the Vikes need to add another receiver -- and it seems the Vikings feel that way, too because they have said so. I think we are going to be surprised by a couple of receivers we've already got -- like Jason Carter. Thing young man has stepped up and "wowed" everyone. He seems to catch everything thrown his way.
    I agree, cuz who do you go get that is worthy of a #1 WR. I think even TT is as good as any of those other guys, cept for maybe a heathy Porter when The Cannon was throwing to him. I'm with COJOMAY, stay with what we got. I mean were not even sure we had a true #1 anyway.

Prophet Guest

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    We are totally screwed.
    We are screwed.
    No doubt.

Yep...it's kicked in!
    8), good, wasn't a total waste of coin.

rjmac is offline Training Camp

"Prophet" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    We are totally screwed.
    We are screwed.
    No doubt.

Yep...it's kicked in!
    8), good, wasn't a total waste of coin.
    Sorry man, I knew the coin was wooden. I'll try to catch up next time.