Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PURPLEGANG6 is offline Waterboy

True Ironman: Marshall vs Favre

I just had to start this thread to vent a little. I`m sick of the hype over favre`s consecutive game record.

Hey I`ll be the first to admit it`s a great streak but Jim Marshall 280 consecutive games at DT, week in and week out in the trenches should far exceed favre`s QB record.
    that`s like comparing a kickers point`s scored with a fullback`s rushing
    TD`s.

All I`m saying is Jim should be talked about in the same regard as Favre. Not because he ran the wrong way once.

Jimmymeboy is offline Starter

Re: True Ironman: Marshall vs Favre

"PURPLEGANG6" wrote:

I just had to start this thread to vent a little. I`m sick of the hype over favre`s consecutive game record.

Hey I`ll be the first to admit it`s a great streak but Jim Marshall 280 consecutive games at DT, week in and week out in the trenches should far exceed favre`s QB record.
    TD`s.

All I`m saying is Jim should be talked about in the same regard as Favre. Not because he ran the wrong way once.
    ;D
    Say it loud and proud, my brother!
    I couldn't have put any more perfectly myself.
    Thanks for the thread!

MNFAN1972 is offline Training Camp

Jim Marshall also did it in a time when and where you ALWAYS played hurt.
    None of this scratch and you are out a week crap.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"PURPLEGANG6" wrote:

TD`s.

The Favre hate on this board is a tad ludicrous sometimes - and this is one of them.
    The QB is the target on every single passing play - hell, on a lot of running plays, too.
    The entire defense is focused on the QB and all of those D-lineman basically spend their whole game trying to hurt him.
    While Marshall's streak is every bit as impressive, it is not MORE impressive.
    It's not like Favre spent half of his time holding for kickers or some other stupid shit.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"MNFAN1972" wrote:
    And Favre did a lot of it at a time when the average D-Lineman is over 300 pounds (unheard of in Marshall's day), the LBs are Olympic-caliber athletes and football is a full-time job.

Get a grip people.

=Z=

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Zeus" wrote:
    "PURPLEGANG6" wrote:

TD`s.

The Favre hate on this board is a tad ludicrous sometimes - and this is one of them.
    The QB is the target on every single passing play - hell, on a lot of running plays, too.
    The entire defense is focused on the QB and all of those D-lineman basically spend their whole game trying to hurt him.
    It's not like Favre spent half of his time holding for kickers or some other stupid pooh.

=Z=
    But Z didn't you hear that he's our enemy/rival?
    It's just football science that you can't say good things about those "rivals".

I completly agree with your other post about 300 lb linemen and faster stronger linebackers.
    Say what you want about Brett Favre personally but the man could play football and could take a hit(which also turned his QB mojo on as well).
    The only Iron Man I can think of(not sure on some sports, correct me if I'm missing someone) is Cal Ripken Jr. because of the sheer amount of games he played, that man was a legend as well.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Zeus" wrote:
    "MNFAN1972" wrote:
    And Favre did a lot of it at a time when the average D-Lineman is over 300 pounds (unheard of in Marshall's day), the LBs are Olympic-caliber athletes and football is a full-time job.

Get a grip people.

=Z=
    Get a grip yourself.

While Favre's toughness is something to be respected, he didn't even come close to being hit on every single pass play.

The number of times he was actually hit in those 280 games is a drop in the bucket compared to the number of times Marshall was hit in the trenches.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "MNFAN1972" wrote:

Get a grip people.
    Get a grip yourself.

While Favre's toughness is something to be respected, he didn't even come close to being hit on every single pass play.

The number of times he was actually hit in those 280 games is a drop in the bucket compared to the number of times Marshall was hit in the trenches.
    You act as if I'm devaluing Marshall's streak and/or saying Favre's is greater.

On the contrary, I wrote this:

There is just a bit much of Favre-hatred on this board sometimes and this is one of those times.

Now - if people want to rag on the punter who actually holds the consecutive games-played streak in the NFL (Jeff Feagles), I'll be right there with them.

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Zeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "MNFAN1972" wrote:

Get a grip people.
    Get a grip yourself.

You act as if I'm devaluing Marshall's streak and/or saying Favre's is greater.

On the contrary, I wrote this:

There is just a bit much of Favre-hatred on this board sometimes and this is one of those times.

Now - if people want to rag on the punter who actually holds the consecutive games-played streak in the NFL (Jeff Feagles), I'll be right there with them.

=Z=
    It has nothing to do with hate from my opinion. I've always respected his toughness.

I've always admired Freeman's ability to take a hit as well. That man has taken some damn hard hits, yet he still managed to hang onto the ball.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

They are both impressive but you gotta give Favre his props.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast