Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Troy Williamson looks to step it up

“If I get my eyes on it, I’ll get it,” -Troy Williamson

thats goin in my profile
    This guy has a bigger chance to explode in this offense then last years.Thats what they ran at S.C.They where more of a running team,(like us hopefully) and Troy still put up the amazing numbers.Imagine the numbers he would have amassed if he played under the GREAT Steve SpurrierThose amazing numbers led us to draft him, where is Mike Williams?Where is Braylon Edwards?Alone Stands Mr. Williamson, determined to have a breakout season.Troy has ALLLL the tools to be big, we'll see in time.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

boognish is offline Coordinator

"oddmanout22287" wrote:
    "boognish" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Tice was still looking at the vertical game when he drafted Williamson so high. It was a plan that was never going to work for the Vikings because of Culpepper's injury. Now that Childress is coach I think we are beginning to see a hint of things to come:
    But in college, Williamson’s forte was to catch short passes, then use his speed to turn those into long gains, which might make him well-suited for the Vikings’ new offense.
    Childress will not depend on the vertical game like Tice wanted to do all the time he was coach. So I don't look for Williamson to be the big playmaker he was drafted to be. Oh sure, we'll see flashes of the downfield vertical game -- any NFL team has it. But I think Williamson will look to gain yards after the carry with his speed rather than being the long threat.
    The short game might be good for him; it's obvious he didn't learn the skills in college to adjust to the longball while it's in the air. Hopefully he can step it up this year; he certainly wasn't impressive last season.
    All the natural talent and physical tools are there; the things Troy needs to work on (routes, adjusting to the ball) can be learned and he will learn all in due time.
    Let's hope so, because his route running and ability to adjust to over the shoulder passes was below average last year. Everyone comes into this League with natural talent, or else they wouldn't be here. The great ones learn to play the game at an elite level. It's far from a given that T-Will can be one of the greats, but I'm hopeful :grin: . I'd like to see him put on a little weight this year too; he was easily stuffed at the line last year.
    I am a dipshit!!!

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

i love how it seems everyone on the team is willign to work hard to do good. thats great
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"mr.woo" wrote:
    i love how it seems everyone on the team is willign to work hard to do good. thats great
    I agree completely. These dudes are hungry this year.
    -Sno

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I'm excited to watch him breakout this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't amaze the fans this year, but even if he doesn't, I'm sure by the next season he'll have all of his technique masterd and route running issues and ball dropping will be a thing of his past. This guy will work out for us; wether it be this season or next.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah, I think he is ready to step up to the next level...he definitely has the talent to do it. He just has to want it bad enough!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    “If I get my eyes on it, I’ll get it,” -Troy Williamson

thats goin in my profile
    This guy has a bigger chance to explode in this offense then last years.Thats what they ran at S.C.They where more of a running team,(like us hopefully) and Troy still put up the amazing numbers.Imagine the numbers he would have amassed if he played under the GREAT Steve SpurrierThose amazing numbers led us to draft him, where is Mike Williams?Where is Braylon Edwards?Alone Stands Mr. Williamson, determined to have a breakout season.Troy has ALLLL the tools to be big, we'll see in time.
    I wouldn't say ALLLLLL the tools (adjusting to the longball as mentioned above.....) however, he has a bunch and i'm glad he's on our team and we don't have to play against him. That's for sure.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

he better be looking to step it up! if not he'll find himself @ #3 or 4 reciever spot again

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Tice was still looking at the vertical game when he drafted Williamson so high. It was a plan that was never going to work for the Vikings because of Culpepper's injury. Now that Childress is coach I think we are beginning to see a hint of things to come:
    But in college, Williamson’s forte was to catch short passes, then use his speed to turn those into long gains, which might make him well-suited for the Vikings’ new offense.
    Childress will not depend on the vertical game like Tice wanted to do all the time he was coach. So I don't look for Williamson to be the big playmaker he was drafted to be. Oh sure, we'll see flashes of the downfield vertical game -- any NFL team has it. But I think Williamson will look to gain yards after the carry with his speed rather than being the long threat.
    At least for now with Brad in there throwing the ball.

I don't think they drafted T-Jack to be a dink & dunk type passer. They got him for his arm as well & you can bet your bottom dollar they'll use it.

You just won't see it as much as the DC to Moss days.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

singersp,

yep, the long ball didn't work for TWill last year...he simply didn't look comfortable adjusting to the ball. He DID, however, look very comfortable taking a Cris Carteresque pass in and using his awesome speed to his advantage. He is NOT, NOT Randy Moss, this much is clear...nobody is; he can, however, take Travis Taylor routes to the house, something an offensive coordinator should be excited about; your thoughts?

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast