Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Troy Williamson looks to step it up

Published July 30, 2006 10:52 am

After a mixed result as a rooke, Vikings receiver Troy Williamson is in training camp early to work on technique and cosistency.

[size=18px]Williamson looks to step it up[/size]

Vikings expect 'big things' from last year's No. 1 pick

By Chad Courrier
    Free Press
    Staff Writer

MANKATO — Troy Williamson comes out of his break quickly, getting both hands up to snare the pass, and he turns up field, using a burst a speed. Later, Williamson breaks away from the defense, slanting slightly toward the middle of the field, but when he looks up, the ball has sailed toward the sideline and he can’t adjust in time.

Much like his rookie season, there was good and bad for Williamson at Saturday’s practices at Minnesota State, but the Minnesota Vikings’ second-year receiver is healthy and determined to put up better numbers.

“I’m trying to put in a lot of hard work and effort,” he said. “Good things come out of hard work.”

When Williamson came out of South Carolina last year as the Vikings’ first-round draft pick, the common opinion seemed to be that the rookie’s speed would be perfect for the vertical passing game.

But in college, Williamson’s forte was to catch short passes, then use his speed to turn those into long gains, which might make him well-suited for the Vikings’ new offense.

“The West Coast offense is definitely a ball-control offense,” offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. “Built in this offense are opportunities to take shots (down the field). Those opportunities are based on coverage.”

Williamson’s rookie season was a mixed bag, with 24 receptions and two touchdowns. But early in minicamps, he dropped a few passes, a tag which followed him all of last season. He also seemed to have trouble adjusting to balls in the air, and the coaches have been working with him on seeing the passes earlier.

“If I get my eyes on it, I’ll get it,” he said.

This offseason, Williamson missed practice time with a hip infection, leading to his early arrival at training camp.

“He’s going to be a big part of the offense,” Bevell said. “We missed him a little during (summer workouts), but he’s done a nice job of coming out here and competing. We’re looking for big things from him.”

Williamson said he’s taking advantage of these first training camp practices to also work on techniques, running more precise routes and making quicker cuts.

“My goal is to have a breakout year,” he said. “I want to come out here and outwork everybody. I want to find one thing every day to work on and get better.”

Williamson looks to step it up

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Troy Williamson looks to step it up

I hope his hard work pays off. We're going to need him to step up his production this year.

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

Nice to hear. I'm hoping to see good things from him this year...as well as all the other receivers. It's just too bad Burleson had to leave, IMO. It was fun seeing a kid from Reno playing for my Vikes. I wish him well with the Seahawks (except when we face them, of course...LOL).

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

We just got to remember its the first days of training camp

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Tice was still looking at the vertical game when he drafted Williamson so high. It was a plan that was never going to work for the Vikings because of Culpepper's injury. Now that Childress is coach I think we are beginning to see a hint of things to come:
    But in college, Williamson’s forte was to catch short passes, then use his speed to turn those into long gains, which might make him well-suited for the Vikings’ new offense.
    Childress will not depend on the vertical game like Tice wanted to do all the time he was coach. So I don't look for Williamson to be the big playmaker he was drafted to be. Oh sure, we'll see flashes of the downfield vertical game -- any NFL team has it. But I think Williamson will look to gain yards after the carry with his speed rather than being the long threat.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

I hope this guy can really break out this season. I think that he has the will. Idk if you remember, but he had that really nice play against Baltimore last year, a short 5-7 yard pass turned into a 40+ yard gain! If he can do some of that this season, that would be great!

boognish is offline Coordinator

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Tice was still looking at the vertical game when he drafted Williamson so high. It was a plan that was never going to work for the Vikings because of Culpepper's injury. Now that Childress is coach I think we are beginning to see a hint of things to come:
    Childress will not depend on the vertical game like Tice wanted to do all the time he was coach. So I don't look for Williamson to be the big playmaker he was drafted to be. Oh sure, we'll see flashes of the downfield vertical game -- any NFL team has it. But I think Williamson will look to gain yards after the carry with his speed rather than being the long threat.
    The short game might be good for him; it's obvious he didn't learn the skills in college to adjust to the longball while it's in the air. Hopefully he can step it up this year; he certainly wasn't impressive last season.
    I am a dipshit!!!

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

"boognish" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    The short game might be good for him; it's obvious he didn't learn the skills in college to adjust to the longball while it's in the air. Hopefully he can step it up this year; he certainly wasn't impressive last season.
    All the natural talent and physical tools are there; the things Troy needs to work on (routes, adjusting to the ball) can be learned and he will learn all in due time.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Wow, he is already sounding like a seasoned veteran.. You have to like his attitude on this whole thing.. He knows he didn't see alot of time at the mini camps, so he comes in early and gets the extra work in.. I admire his work ethic, and hope he gets it all down..

boognish is offline Coordinator

Hopefully the new board has a delete function for retards like me who double up their posts :grin:
    I am a dipshit!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast