Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Troy Williamson drop...

"ejmat" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=41210.msg705950#msg705950 date=1200101429]
    [quote author=ejmat link=topic=41210.msg705639#msg705639 date=1200069196]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=41210.msg705628#msg705628 date=1200068097]
    I thought you meant me because I mentioned Detroit. Sorry. I thought Calvin Johnson did a good job but Roy Williams I think might be better. Again sorry but I thought you were referring to me.
    Not at all Marstc.
    I know we had our differences in the whole Darrion Scott thing but that's over as far as I'm concerned.
    I'm not going to attack what you type and be personal about it.
    Everyone is entitlled to their opinions and no one opinion is more correct than the other.

In this case there were other threads in where I saw people type that Johnson wasn't that good and he's not all he cracked up to be.
    IMO he is pretty good and had a great year for a rookie receiver.
    But I definately wasn't implying anything or responding to your post
    ;D
    I totally forgot about the Scott thing. Now that you brought it up, I hate you!
    I really enjoy your posts by the way.
    I enjoy yours too.
    Just stop smoking pot in your office
    :P
    Sorry about that statement.
    That was uncalled for.
    I did think it was funny at the time though.
    Now looking back at it I was out of line.
    It's ok. That is what I like about this site. We all have bad days and maybe take things too far. It takes a real man to realize it. That is why I respect so many people on this site. We are all here for one cause and that is too support our team and win a Super Bowl. Hopefully next year will be our time without Troy Williamson. Had to stay on topic with that one.
    I'm impressed you found a way to get Troy Williamson in there.
    I guess now I did too.
    So what WR do you think will take TWill's place?
    [/quote]

Dreamworld: Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald or Chad Johnson

Reality: Donte Stallworth, Bernard Berrian, or Patrick Crayton
    [/quote]

I wouldn't be too depressed to see Hackett either.
    Anyne of them wouldn't be a bad thing.
    [/quote]

Hackett would not be bad but we need a guy to bring fear to defenses. I really wish we could bring Moss back here.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=ejmat link=topic=41210.msg706156#msg706156 date=1200150818]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=41210.msg705950#msg705950 date=1200101429]
    [quote author=ejmat link=topic=41210.msg705639#msg705639 date=1200069196]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=41210.msg705628#msg705628 date=1200068097]
    I thought you meant me because I mentioned Detroit. Sorry. I thought Calvin Johnson did a good job but Roy Williams I think might be better. Again sorry but I thought you were referring to me.
    Not at all Marstc.
    I know we had our differences in the whole Darrion Scott thing but that's over as far as I'm concerned.
    I'm not going to attack what you type and be personal about it.
    Everyone is entitlled to their opinions and no one opinion is more correct than the other.

In this case there were other threads in where I saw people type that Johnson wasn't that good and he's not all he cracked up to be.
    IMO he is pretty good and had a great year for a rookie receiver.
    But I definately wasn't implying anything or responding to your post
    ;D
    I totally forgot about the Scott thing. Now that you brought it up, I hate you!
    I really enjoy your posts by the way.
    I enjoy yours too.
    Just stop smoking pot in your office
    Sorry about that statement.
    That was uncalled for.
    I did think it was funny at the time though.
    Now looking back at it I was out of line.
    It's ok. That is what I like about this site. We all have bad days and maybe take things too far. It takes a real man to realize it. That is why I respect so many people on this site. We are all here for one cause and that is too support our team and win a Super Bowl. Hopefully next year will be our time without Troy Williamson. Had to stay on topic with that one.
    I'm impressed you found a way to get Troy Williamson in there.
    I guess now I did too.
    So what WR do you think will take TWill's place?
    [/quote]

Dreamworld: Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald or Chad Johnson

Reality: Donte Stallworth, Bernard Berrian, or Patrick Crayton
    [/quote]

I wouldn't be too depressed to see Hackett either.
    Anyne of them wouldn't be a bad thing.
    [/quote]

Hackett would not be bad but we need a guy to bring fear to defenses. I really wish we could bring Moss back here.
    [/quote]

That would be awesome.
    We can always wish.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    Alright, I've ignored this thread long enough, time for me to finally add my input...

I have very mixed feelings on TWill.
    The drops are obviously extremely painful and frankly it appeared he had them under control until the Denver game.
    Lets face it guys, EVERY receiver in the NFL drops passes.
    That includes the TOs, the Harrisons and Waynes, the Chad Johnsons, and the Fitzs of the world.
    The only exception this year was Moss who seemed to have velcro for hands this year.
    The issue really was that TWill dropped 2 clutch passes in the last game of the season, one of which was an easy touchdown.
    Had it been the first game of the year it'd have long been forgotten but it wasn't, this is our last memory of him this year.
    Frankly, other then that game, I only remember 1 or 2 drops by him the rest of the year which is in line with the drops Wade, Fergie, and Rice all had trying to learn to catch TJack's rocket thrown slants early in the year.
    I wonder how much of this is blown out of proportion just by bad timing.
    Four dropped balls in a season is not a reason to dump a guy especially when compared against the improvement over previous years.

The real question for me is this, do the Vikings have any other receivers that can get open?
    TWill was the ONLY receiver that could consistently get separation from his defender.
    Think about the catches Fergie, Wade, and Rice all made... with a defender draped over their backs most of the time.
    Part of that may be TJack not making throws on time, but I believe the bigger part is none of those receivers have break away speed that allows them to freely move through a soft zone coverage or break away from man to man coverage the way TWill can.
    As has been said repeatedly, you can't teach speed and TWill has it.
    He still has some issues with his routes (running too close the sideline and allowing the defender to knock him out of bounds) but I saw the same things from Fergie and Rice as well.
    He still catches with his body too much but he has improved on his dropped balls and there is no reason to believe he won't continue to.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing TWill back but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped especially if the Vikes can make a play at a game breaker receiver.
    He's not perfect but he did showed marked improvement from prior years.
    I believe he is the only current receiver we have that can stretch a defense and beat man to man coverage and therefore keep a D honest as he and TJack continue to develop together.
    Stat Overview Receiving Troy Williamson

240 yds.
    1 touchdown

career 1067 yds.
    3 touchdowns.

TO dropped plenty of balls last year.
    But if you are going to drop balls and lose games, you have to catch balls and win games to be forgiven. Troy hasn't done that.

“What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

MEGA-BUST

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"jessejames09" wrote:
    MEGA-BUST
    One of the worst drafts in vikings history.

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

"marstc09" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    MEGA-BUST
    One of the worst drafts in vikings history.
    One of the worst drafts in NFL history.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112