Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Trotter's Still Out There

like all the rest of us I believe, even though as the artical say the names don't strike the fear of god into anyone YET but they can and will,

bringing in a seasoned vetern may or maynot be good for everyone who has been working together for a while :scratch: tice and the DC must believe and see that, plus how would you feel if you have been bust your back side to improve your game for a team you believe in heart and soul like our boys are and do even though one is from (AUBURN) (Roll Tide had to say that) no Tice proablly knows the price is to much and maybe just maybe something else is around the corner that will help the team and be better for us in the long run. I think we should pass on this one and wait and see, as a few have pointed out IF he was that good why haven't a few others who really need LB pick him up like AZ or the bear's :cheese: Packers wait they need a team anyway forget it.... :cheers:
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I think we still need to pick up a linebacker, so many things have fallen into place why go into the season with uncertainty at a key position.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    You talk about Newman like he is a life-saver. I've never even heard of the guy before he joined the Vikes.

You can insult the stats all you want, but they are impressive, and I don't think anyone of us would deny he played excellently his first 2 years in the league. So either way, there you go. He can play WILL and he can play it well. No matter your opinion of Thomas, he is rookie. I remember Roanall Smith getting a ton of hype comming out college too, his speed and athleticism. Where is he now?

I just don't like the Idea of resting ur Linebackering hopes on an injured guy, 2 guy who have off the field problems as well as problems staying in place and who are new and relatively raw, combined with a guy who shows a lot of promise, but regardless is still a rookie and who has no one to lead him.

Especially when we have the money to sign someone who is a proven player, doesn't line up wrong, has had success, can do his job, is a perfect back-up in case EJ gets injured and will probably make a good SAM on top of that.

First of all, just because you don't know anything about newman, doesn't mean he is't a good backup SAM LB. Not sure what that has to do with anything? 2nd, I said that if claiborne got hurt, newman would be another veteran who would step in for him and play, thus giving us a vet on the field even if claiborne is hurt. Not sure where I said Newman is a stud, all I have said is that he is a vet and a decent backup. So we seem fine at SAM LB, right? At least according to Tice we are. Yes, EJ hasn't started, but he also played a lot last year. Eventually you have to start guys and expect them to do good. EJ will do fine as a starter. If he gets hurt or suspended, we have a lot of outside guys that can also play inside, newman, claiborne, and DT. Weakside is the weakspot of our LB's, but only because DT hasn't played yet. I don't hear anyone talking about right DE being a trouble spot because Udeze is a rookie. You guys expect Udeze to be good, so why is it wrong to expect DT to be good? He is a 2nd rounder and many 2nd round guys start in their 1st year. EJ is also a 2nd rounder and when he was drafted, he was expected to be our starter this season.

Personally, I would take young, faster, more athletic LB's starting than vets, just like many of you guys did during last season. I am not saying we don't need a vet LB for backup depth, but I don't want any average vet Lb taking a starting spot away from a good looking young guy. eventually we have to start these young LB's we have, so why wait? Were we not saying this same thing during last season, when we wanted beikert and crockett out and nattiel and EJ in? I don't want the same thing this year. And your fooling yourself if you think we will sign trotter for a backup role. Tice will not pay the money he wants (which is still a lot of money) for him to be a backup, and trotter still has said he wants to start where ever he goes.

Also, remember last season when we had 2 young unproven guys starting in our secondary? Everybody was calling for us to sign a safety and go after milloy when he was released. Look at what we found with russell and brian wiliams getting to start. Again I say, in the NFL today, youth is not always a bad thing, just ask the Super bowl champ patriots. I say give our young guys a chance to start, before we say they should be sitting on the bench for a year.

So in conclusion, I do agree with you guys that we are thin at LB and could use a vet Lb, I still don't want to spend a bunch of money on a guy to come in and take EJ or DT's starting spot, and I think Tice has made it clear he feels the same way.

"casper" wrote:
    like all the rest of us I believe, even though as the artical say the names don't strike the fear of god into anyone YET but they can and will,

bringing in a seasoned vetern may or maynot be good for everyone who has been working together for a while :scratch: tice and the DC must believe and see that, plus how would you feel if you have been bust your back side to improve your game for a team you believe in heart and soul like our boys are and do even though one is from (AUBURN) (Roll Tide had to say that) no Tice proablly knows the price is to much and maybe just maybe something else is around the corner that will help the team and be better for us in the long run. I think we should pass on this one and wait and see, as a few have pointed out IF he was that good why haven't a few others who really need LB pick him up like AZ or the bear's :cheese: Packers wait they need a team anyway forget it.... :cheers:

Hey, finally someone who agrees with me and isn't attacking what i am saying!

TWISTED is offline Training Camp

I think you dont want to take snaps away from Henderson, he needs game time expearance. I wouldnt mind havin Trotter, but I dont think he'd be a great fit. We need another Greg Biekert type who can come in if EJ goes down, and provide a little guidance along the way. I think a better fit would be Jason Gildon. Who is gettin old but still in fantastic shape, and could provide some heat off the edge as a situational pass rusher. While at the same time mixin in Thomas and Nattiel, but not have to rely on them.
    cf7231f7c41f3d4c4e95634c9d920584

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

lol, Well first of all, You talked about Newman like he could come in and Play like a Trotter. He can't. If he could, i would have heard of him b4 he joined the Vikes. I didn't. Good players one usually knows somethign about. Thats why I said that. C'mon, ur smarter than to not know what I meant by that.

Yeah, and I'm sure Mike Ditka would could be a vet in there too, but he couldn't play. As you urself has ve stated many times, experience isn't everything.
    You ahve to have Talent too. Newman isn't anyone to rely on to start 6 games this season is Claiborne re-injures his injury, or if Henderson breaks a leg. Trotter is a guy.

I think no one is talking about our DE or Dline spots because we have talented depth to back them up is one faulters. We don't have that in the LB position. I don't expect Udeze to put up stellar stats.

Someone else said something on here about how everythign has fallen into place this off-season. A solid #2, our Star RB is back, a shut-down Corner, and the best DE in the draft. We would be foolish to throw all that away because we decided to take a risk at LB.

For every story about Williams and Russel there is about 10 stories of guys who didn't make it.

"Weakside is the weakspot of our LB's."

Ahhh yes! So exzplain to me why we shouldn't move our best lineback, a guy who played that position well many times before, in that spot, and get someoen solid to kepp the SAM as on our strengths. Also, getting a really excellent guy in case EJ goes down. I'm just wondering.

And trotter isn't that old, he is only what, 27. So it's not he is an old geaser who can't run and who isn't athletic.

"Tice will not pay the money he wants (which is still a lot of money) for him to be a backup, and trotter still has said he wants to start where ever he goes."

OF COURSE HE WANTS TO START! Doesn't everyone. He did however sign a contract with the Eagles for 3/4 of a million dollars (back-up money) and will be their back-up MIKE.

And, if you are so worried about DT being so good and missing the snaps hurting our team, well, If he is that much better than Trotter, he'll have the starting spot. If it hurts our defense so much having Claiborne at WILL, then he'll be at SAM. But we had nothing to lose signing this guy and giving him a one-year contract for $2 million dollars. It doesn't put us in an further salary cap restraint for the seasons to come, just uses this years only, which we are pretty much done with. It would have given us, if nothing else, a spectacular back-up, and a better than Solid Starter. Which is someone we need.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    lol, Well first of all, You talked about Newman like he could come in and Play like a Trotter. He can't. If he could, i would have heard of him b4 he joined the Vikes. I didn't. Good players one usually knows somethign about. Thats why I said that. C'mon, ur smarter than to not know what I meant by that.

Yeah, and I'm sure Mike Ditka would could be a vet in there too, but he couldn't play. As you urself has ve stated many times, experience isn't everything.
    You ahve to have Talent too. Newman isn't anyone to rely on to start 6 games this season is Claiborne re-injures his injury, or if Henderson breaks a leg. Trotter is a guy.

I think no one is talking about our DE or Dline spots because we have talented depth to back them up is one faulters. We don't have that in the LB position. I don't expect Udeze to put up stellar stats.

Someone else said something on here about how everythign has fallen into place this off-season. A solid #2, our Star RB is back, a shut-down Corner, and the best DE in the draft. We would be foolish to throw all that away because we decided to take a risk at LB.

For every story about Williams and Russel there is about 10 stories of guys who didn't make it.

"Weakside is the weakspot of our LB's."

Ahhh yes! So exzplain to me why we shouldn't move our best lineback, a guy who played that position well many times before, in that spot, and get someoen solid to kepp the SAM as on our strengths. Also, getting a really excellent guy in case EJ goes down. I'm just wondering.

And trotter isn't that old, he is only what, 27. So it's not he is an old geaser who can't run and who isn't athletic.

"Tice will not pay the money he wants (which is still a lot of money) for him to be a backup, and trotter still has said he wants to start where ever he goes."

OF COURSE HE WANTS TO START! Doesn't everyone. He did however sign a contract with the Eagles for 3/4 of a million dollars (back-up money) and will be their back-up MIKE.

And, if you are so worried about DT being so good and missing the snaps hurting our team, well, If he is that much better than Trotter, he'll have the starting spot. If it hurts our defense so much having Claiborne at WILL, then he'll be at SAM. But we had nothing to lose signing this guy and giving him a one-year contract for $2 million dollars. It doesn't put us in an further salary cap restraint for the seasons to come, just uses this years only, which we are pretty much done with. It would have given us, if nothing else, a spectacular back-up, and a better than Solid Starter. Which is someone we need.

Man, we could go back and forth on this forever, but it is pointless now. He isn't available anymore and I am happy that he won't be putting a better player behind him, like biekert and crockett did for much of last year. Yes I do believe that DT is better than trotter and after last year, i also believe that tice would play trotter just because he is a vet, instead of DT.

Also I said we are weak at weakside because DT hasn't played yet and only that. Once he plays and everyone sees how good he really is, that will no longer be a weak spot on our team. Claiborne is without a doubt a better SAM LB and I am glad he will be staying there instead of playing WILL. Claiborne may be our best LB(i don't believe it though), but it would also hurt our team by moving him from his strongest position(SAM) to a weaker one(WILL).

Again, I have no probelm with us signing another vet for depth, but after last year, I worry that tice will again play a vet who is not better than a young guy, thus hurting our team. I believe that this team is very well built for the future and think it will definately benifit our team to get DT and EJ out there this year. I'll take talent over experience and EJ and DT are full of talent.

I do see what your saying though Vikeman, it really couldn't have hurt us to sign the guy. I just didn't want tice to play him ahead of our better younger guys, just because he is a vet and has been in the pro bowl, and that is probably what would have happened. I am very confident in DT as many of you guys can see, and thatis because I have seen this kid play in person, and he suprised the hell out of me. He is a playmaker. I saw him run down moss from behind and Moss was not running half assed either, obviously not full speed, but he was running. All the coaches that saw him run Moss down had huge smiles on their faces, and so did I. He is the real deal and I think his mini camp performance helped Tice and ted cottrell decide to not even bother talking to trotter and gildon. We shall soon see though, if he is good. Man I can't wait for preseason to start, so we can see these young guys on the field!

One thing is forsure Vikeman, you are damn fun to argue with, LOL.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

"One thing is forsure Vikeman, you are damn fun to argue with, LOL."

lol, thanks, back at ya.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123