Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Trotter's Still Out There

All I can say is that I liked everything I saw from Henderson when he did play last season, Henderson was the Butkus Award winner in 2002, and Thomas was a highly touted linebacker playing in a monster defense at Auburn (Thomas and Dansby were featured in a Sports Illustrated article in October 2003). I suspect Nick Barnett and Brian Urlacher played right around 100% of the time during their rookie seasons-so what is the issue with Henderson and Thomas doing the same?

While I might agree that experienced depth could be an issue at LB for the Vikings, I don't know that Trotter would come in here to be a backup, or for backup money. I don't believe yet that in open competition, Trotter could beat out Henderson or Thomas. He may be as good (or better) than either guy, then again, he may not be. Again, if Trotter is healthy enough and cheap enough, I don't have a problem signing him. But if he were healthy and cheap enough, someone else would have signed him by now.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"purplepat" wrote:
    All I can say is that I liked everything I saw from Henderson when he did play last season, Henderson was the Butkus Award winner in 2002, and Thomas was a highly touted linebacker playing in a monster defense at Auburn (Thomas and Dansby were featured in a Sports Illustrated article in October 2003). I suspect Nick Barnett and Brian Urlacher played right around 100% of the time during their rookie seasons-so what is the issue with Henderson and Thomas doing the same?

While I might agree that experienced depth could be an issue at LB for the Vikings, I don't know that Trotter would come in here to be a backup, or for backup money. I don't believe yet that in open competition, Trotter could beat out Henderson or Thomas. He may be as good (or better) than either guy, then again, he may not be. Again, if Trotter is healthy enough and cheap enough, I don't have a problem signing him. But if he were healthy and cheap enough, someone else would have signed him by now.

I have to agree. I don't want trotter, if he is gonna take a starting spot away from dontarrious. If we did bring trotter in as a stong side guy and move claiborne back to weakside, we would be where we were last year. Claiborne has good speed for the strong side, but I don't like his speed at weakside. I would way rather have claiborne at strong and dontarrious at weakside, over claiborne at will and trotter at sam. We would be much more athletic and faster with claiborne and dontarrious.

I am personally happy with whay we have at LB right now. I wouldn't mind seeing a veteran brought in for backup help. We have claiborne and newman at strongside, both of whom will be our veteran leaders at LB for this season. Both EJ and nattiel have a year of experience in the NFL and are both ready to play. The only question some may have, is dontarrious. I have no doubt that he wil be an awesome LB in this league, and be better tha trotter would be for us if we sign him. I will be happy if we don't sign trotter and sign a cheaper vet for backup depth. I think dontarrious is easily smart enough to be an impact player for us this year.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Like I said, I don't think any rookie has been hurt by having a back-up role his first year.

EJ is young and was out of place about a bazillion times last year.

Honestly, if Claiborne is healthy, I have no problem and really like our LBs. However, that seems to be a big question mark.

Claiborne doesn't really have good speed either way. I saw him trying to play catch-up a lot last year becauise he just doesn't have the speed. I don't think the change to WILL will make all that much difference.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    Like I said, I don't think any rookie has been hurt by having a back-up role his first year.

EJ is young and was out of place about a bazillion times last year.

Honestly, if Claiborne is healthy, I have no problem and really like our LBs. However, that seems to be a big question mark.

Claiborne doesn't really have good speed either way. I saw him trying to play catch-up a lot last year becauise he just doesn't have the speed. I don't think the change to WILL will make all that much difference.

The change of claiborne from strongside to weak will absolutley make a big difference. He isn't very fast, and in the game today, you need a fast LB at weakside. You can get away with having a slower LB at MLB or SAM, but he will get exposed very easily at weakside. This is one problem we have had on our D the last few years, and it is fixed with having dontarrious starting at weakside. Yes, we loose experience with a rookie starting, but this kid is extremely smart and is ready to start. The only other Lb in this draft who i can say that about, is vlima, who is also gonna start for the jets. No other Lb's in this draft, has the football smarts that dontarrious does. IMO, he isn't the type of rookie that will need a year to sit behind a less athletic veteran. I think bringing in trotter to start at SAM and moving claiborne to WILL, will only hurt our D on the field. We are fine at LB, even if claiborne gets hurt. Newman would play if claiborne got hurt, and we wouldn't loose any experience. I think a lot of people see young as being bad, but in the game today, that isn't always the case. The super bowl champion pats had a ton of rookies playing in every game for them last year. As long as you have smart guys, who are willing to learn, you can win with young guys.

"Newman would play if claiborne got hurt, and we wouldn't loose any experience."

Just a lot of talent and ability.

What is Henderson gets hurt? Is Rod Smith ready? lol.

I didn't say Nattiel or Thomas weren't ready to start, I did say that being back-ups this year wouldn't hurt them.

obviously having good quality depth is important we don't have that. Adding Trotter would fix that problem, he would solidify our LBs, that are right now very shaky. Henderson still has a lot to learn and so does Nattiel. And regardless of what Thomas did in College, he is still a rookie.

Didn't Claiborn play WILL in Detroit?

He did in fact. In 2000 he was WILL and produced 104 tackles, 1/2 sacks, 3 Forced Fumbles and 1 INT.

Now thats plenty good enough for me, especially since then he has learned how to rush the passer better.

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    He did in fact. In 2000 he was WILL and produced 104 tackles, 1/2 sacks, 3 Forced Fumbles and 1 INT.

Now thats plenty good enough for me, especially since then he has learned how to rush the passer better.

IMO stats can be misleading. Champ bailey didn't have good stats at all last year, yet he is still better than the 30 CB's or so that had better stats than him. I can name a bunch of good players who had bad stats last year, as well as a bunch of bad players that somehow had good stats last year. Stats just don't mean a lot to me. Claiborne also played some WILL for us last year too, and i remember seeing his lack of speed get exposed over and over. Again, one of our biggest problems over the last few years at LB, is the fact that we haven't had a fast LB playing at WILL. We now will have that with dontarrious and nattiel. I personally don't want to go back to having our faster and more athletic LB's on the bench again this year, like last year. We saw what experience at LB did for us last year, when we were playing claiborne, biekter, and crockett all the time. Experience is overrated, except for some key positions. Again I say that claiborne is a great strongside LB, but if he were to be moved to weakside, moving dontarrious to the bench, it will only hurt out D IMO. We would then all be saying the same thing we were during last season, that we need to get our young faster LB's out there on the field. Bottom line IMO, having claiborne at SAM and DT at WILL, is a much better LB corp than Claiborne at WILL and Trotter at SAM.

I personally think this talk is pointless, because Tice has said he is happy with our LB's right now, after we got another vet in newman. It is fun to argue though. We have a good combo of vets like claiborne and newman, and young guys like DT, nattiel, and EJ. i do agree with you that we are fine at LB if claiborne is healthy, but I saw we are alright even if he isn't 100% healthy, now that we have newman to fill in for him.

You talk about Newman like he is a life-saver. I've never even heard of the guy before he joined the Vikes.

You can insult the stats all you want, but they are impressive, and I don't think anyone of us would deny he played excellently his first 2 years in the league. So either way, there you go. He can play WILL and he can play it well. No matter your opinion of Thomas, he is rookie. I remember Roanall Smith getting a ton of hype comming out college too, his speed and athleticism. Where is he now?

I just don't like the Idea of resting ur Linebackering hopes on an injured guy, 2 guy who have off the field problems as well as problems staying in place and who are new and relatively raw, combined with a guy who shows a lot of promise, but regardless is still a rookie and who has no one to lead him.

Especially when we have the money to sign someone who is a proven player, doesn't line up wrong, has had success, can do his job, is a perfect back-up in case EJ gets injured and will probably make a good SAM on top of that.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Seriously, what is wrong with signing trotter. I don't anyone here can say that we are stocked at LB. Personally I don't feel that comfortable with Henderson, Nattiel and thomas who have a combined 0 starts. Vikeman said it before, I don't think any rookie has been adversely affected from sitting on the bench in his rookie season.

Also we have NO depth. I am not confident in Claiborne's durability.

WE have no rock solid starters, I am not saying trotter would be one, but he would be a starter.

That being said alot of people don't want one of our young Lbs losing their jobs to him. NEWS FLASH, they won't if they are better. Personally I would rather field the best group of linebackers possible then sit back with a bunch of neophytes with potential but no experience. Especially if we expect to got far this year.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

According to the NFL scout that analyzed Grant Wiley, he's not that great of a LB. He has the aggression and a motor that won't quit but he does not have the physical tools to play up to the level that will be demanded of him in the Vikings defensive scheme.

I feel good about Henderson, Thomas and Claiborne and I think Yates and Nattiel will be solid backups. But I don't think Smith and Wiley are and I just hope our starters can stay healthy or else we might have problems.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast