Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trotter's Still Out There

Trotter's still a free agent and we need help at linebacker Came across this article what do you guys think?

By Viking Update Staff
    Date: Jul 3, 2004

At one point the Vikings had an interest in Jeremiah Trotter, but they figured the asking price was too high. A month later, he's still available and his stock has to be dropping.

A month ago, linebacker Jeremiah Trotter was released by the Washington Redskins. While the Vikings still had multi-millions in available salary cap room and linebacker is without question the thinnest position on the team, Mike Tice made it clear he wasn’t going to get in a bidding war with someone else.

A month later, some have begun asking the question “where is the bidding war?”

A month has gone by without Trotter being signed. Teams like the Seahawks have expressed an interest, but no contract has been offered. In fact, coach Mike Holmgren has downplayed the situation, saying that he thinks Trotter is somewhat overrated and not a perfect fit with his defense.

For the Vikings purposes, the Henderson-Claiborne-Thomas-Nattiel-Newman faction doesn’t strike the fear of God into opponents. The Vikings have bolstered their defensive front by taking Kevin Williams and Kenechi Udeze on the first round of the last two drafts. They have also improved their secondary by getting the first shutdown corner the Vikings have had in more than a decade in Antoine Winfield. Yet, linebacker has been virtually ignored and reduced with the retirement of Greg Biekert and the release of Henri Crockett.

The Vikings' motivation, pure and simple, was money. They went into the process convinced that Trotter’s price would be too expensive – he’d want a long-term contract with a huge signing bonus. Well, a month later, nobody has offered him the pot of gold he and/or his agent believe he deserves.

Typically, in matters like this, the asking price goes down as the opening of training camp nears. Like it or not, players who miss significant time in training camp are more likely to sustain injuries during the season because they haven’t had enough light hitting experience in the preseason and, when they take their first hits, it’s at full speed with bad intentions.

Trotter’s stock has dropped over the last month – that would appear quite obvious since nobody has opted to sign him. Perhaps now, he and his agent are coming to the realization that maybe a two-year or even a one-year deal laced with incentives could be the best option. From that standpoint, the Vikings would be an ideal choice.

If Trotter were to come to the Vikings, he would be an immediate starter (likely on the strong side) and give players like Mike Nattiel and Dontarrious Thomas a chance to grow into starting roles, which might have Chris Claiborne moving to the weak side and Trotter playing the strong side. Even in a worst-case scenario, he wouldn’t meet the incentives and would become a free agent in 2005.

Whether the Vikings interest will pique after the Fourth of July is yet to be seen. But the timing couldn’t be better to at least start making a couple of phone calls. VU will pay the tab for the calls.

i read that this morning. i agree it would be nice for a 1-2 year low deal with incentives. but we would need to do it before camp starts, so he can get to know the defense
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

We should sign him for the minimum that a contract would allow for a veteran, and then fill it with incentives that he could meet, such as: 110 tackles: 250,000 bucks, 5 sacks: 200,000 bucks, 5 ints: 100,000, pro bowl selection: 1 million, whatever the case may be, something like that, if he would go for it, doubtful but it's worth a try. Make him prove what he can do, and not frontload a huge contract!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I think it would be a great pick-up, our defence is set a DB's we are looking better upfront but we are thin at linebacker and he could give us a tried and proven veteran (whats nlot to like).
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Big Daddy is offline Starter

I agree that we need to go after this guy, having said that I don't think we need him as bad as some of you would like to believe. The truth is you need about a year to really start to feel comfortable in a new defense. And next year Henderson, Dontarrious, and Nattiel will all have another year under their belts and will be ready. The truth is I just don't see Trotter helping us that much (not saying he wouldn't some) this year for the money he will want to sign.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it s warmth!

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

I don't think we need him. At best, he should be signed as a training camp insurance policy in case A) Claiborne hasn't recovered fully, B) Henderson hasn't recovered fully, or C) Henderson and/or Thomas/Nattiel look totally lost in the preseason. We basically have fast, young, inexpensive and healthy guys slated to start for us. Trotter's health is a question mark. Why impede the development of our young studs on a question mark, especially when he may not be a huge upgrade? Trust me, if this guy had a lot left and was willing to sign on the cheap, someone would have done it by now. I only want the guy at the right price, with no guarantees of starting (or starting money, unless he makes the team). Why mess up the team's chemistry by renting a player unless you have to have him? In my mind, that need has not been demonstrated. I'm willing to accept inexperienced youth, especially given the track history of the three young LBs we are primarily talking about. Nick Barnett did a great job his rookie year. So did Brian Urlacher. Is there any reason to believe that Henderson or Thomas won't be perfectly capable out there?
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

I don't think we need him, I'm satisfied with the LB's that we have now. Also, I don't think that he's as good as he used to be. There's a reason no one's signed him yet..........

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

"Why impede the development of our young studs on a question mark"

I'm not so sure he would be an impedement. Henderson and Nattiel obviously have a lot to learn, especially off the field, and at worst trotter would be helping to teach them. I think he would be a starter. I think Thomas will still get playing time as Well as Nattiel, not 90% of the plays, but enough so they can learn and be that better when we NEED them to play 90%. I don't think any rookie has ever been hurt by being a back-up for a season. Henderson could use all the help he can get, and with claiborne's health a relative Question mark. Trotter looks like a good investment. Not only for his ability to be a solid player, but his more than 2 years of experience.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Vikeman, you are right that our LB's could use some veteran experience........how much is he running right now? I know his price has gone down recently, but may the organization be waiting for the price to go down more to get him?

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

bottom line is we are NOT deep at linebacker. and the ones we do have right now are more potential than special. i like where they are going, but bringing in a proven guy who knows the speed of the game when we are that far below the cap yet can not be a bad thing. starters get you your preseason rankings. it's your depth that gets you into the playoffs
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast