Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trick plays...

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Trick plays...

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    "coreychavous21" wrote:
    what do you guys think of throwing a bomb on a first down, or the very first play of the game for that matter? Usually to open up a game it is a run right up the gut, what if we did a playaction and aired it out there. That would be pretty cool, no one would expect it.
    I think it would probably work every once in a while. It would be a good way to incorporate Williamson into the offence. Since he has such blazing speed, why not just throw it up there and let him run onto it. Kind of reminds me of the first play last year with McNabb and TO.
    That's not something I'd like to see a lot of. We need to balance run and pass plays more that's something that killed us last year.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"FuadFan" wrote:
    "canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    "coreychavous21" wrote:
    what do you guys think of throwing a bomb on a first down, or the very first play of the game for that matter? Usually to open up a game it is a run right up the gut, what if we did a playaction and aired it out there. That would be pretty cool, no one would expect it.
    I think it would probably work every once in a while. It would be a good way to incorporate Williamson into the offence. Since he has such blazing speed, why not just throw it up there and let him run onto it. Kind of reminds me of the first play last year with McNabb and TO.
    That's not something I'd like to see a lot of. We need to balance run and pass plays more that's something that killed us last year.
    I'm only suggesting that we use this once or twice during the season. I agree that balance will help both the running and passing game, and it'll be easier now to have balance now the Moss is gone.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"coreychavous21" wrote:
    We did that last year against the Saints and got something like 50 yards on the first play of the game. Big deep bomb to Moss, if I'm not mistaken, it was the same game Moss hurt his hammy.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"Vikes2611" wrote:
    "coreychavous21" wrote:
    We did that last year against the Saints and got something like 50 yards on the first play of the game. Big deep bomb to Moss, if I'm not mistaken, it was the same game Moss hurt his hammy.
    yep your right. thats what made me think that maybe we should do it more often. it was the very first play of the game.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"ltrey33" wrote:
    I like the Flea-Flicker, I think if it's utilized properly it can really mess some people up. Robert Smith and Randall proved that back in 98.
    Those were my favorite.

I believe 1 game that we started out with a flea flicker bomb. Man, those were the days! :wink:

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    Trick plays are for teams that can't get it done with their regular playbook.

I still like them, but its usually a team that is struggling that uses them.
    Trick plays are designed to catch the defense off guard....a high risk, high reward situation. My favorite is lining up like a normal kick and onsiding it when the other team doesn't expect it....it worked for the Rams a year or two ago....

P.S. What ever happened to the Hook n' Ladder?

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"audioghost" wrote:
    "LosAngelis" wrote:

Trick plays are designed to catch the defense off guard....a high risk, high reward situation. My favorite is lining up like a normal kick and onsiding it when the other team doesn't expect it....it worked for the Rams a year or two ago....

Another good trick play i remember the rams doing is Kurt Warner would look confused and start yelling over at the sidelines and the defense would relax and look over to where he was yelling. Marshal Faulk than yelled hut and they did a direct snap to him. that was a pretty cool play.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"coreychavous21" wrote:
    "audioghost" wrote:
    "LosAngelis" wrote:

Another good trick play i remember the rams doing is Kurt Warner would look confused and start yelling over at the sidelines and the defense would relax and look over to where he was yelling. Marshal Faulk than yelled hut and they did a direct snap to him. that was a pretty cool play.
    Boll Cowher and the Steelers do that quite a bit.

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    As long as we dont do that stupid WR pass ( the one that randy threw a pick last year) I am down.
    Just because it failed miserbaly once, doesn't mean its a bad play. I know it worked at least twice before moss to cris carter, and moss to someone else. Both were for touchdowns.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I like trick plays once in a while. They can work very well, but only if you practice them.

With Linehan we ran them every once in a while. I like doing the play action moss-bomb when its 3rd and 1.

There are times when it was the perfect call, but the execution was poor two specific examples other than the Moss reverse pass would be the fake confusion on a field goal in the playoffs against the Eagles and the HB pass to Culpepper against the Falcons two years ago (a play that got called back because of some bogus formation penalty, which would have won us the game and spared us Vicks highlight reel run in OT).

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast