Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trick plays...

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Trick plays...

Shuold the Vikings add some trick plays to the playbook? Every once in a while we will see a reverse but other than that i cant remember any. I guess the flee flicker we did a couple times. Personally I like trick plays. what do you guys think?

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Trick plays...

sure...

just not on first and goal when we're down by 4 and the play called is a WR reverse pass

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

As long as we dont do that stupid WR pass ( the one that randy threw a pick last year) I am down.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I like the Flea-Flicker, I think if it's utilized properly it can really mess some people up. Robert Smith and Randall proved that back in 98.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Trick plays are for teams that can't get it done with their regular playbook.

I still like them, but its usually a team that is struggling that uses them.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    Trick plays are for teams that can't get it done with their regular playbook.

I still like them, but its usually a team that is struggling that uses them.
    I disagree, We had the number 1 offense ever in 98 and we used a lot of trick plays. Its a good way to keep defenses off balance.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"coreychavous21" wrote:
    Shuold the Vikings add some trick plays to the playbook? Every once in a while we will see a reverse but other than that i cant remember any. I guess the flee flicker we did a couple times. Personally I like trick plays. what do you guys think?

Hopefully we will run a lot of bubble screens to troy williamson, because he is killer at those. He can take a short bubble screen to the house. I don't know if you consider them trick plays, but that would be something that we don't run much of, that I think would be a good way to use our first pick and give him some confidence.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

Trick plays only work well if they have we have the surprise factor. So we can do one of 2 things:
    a) Only use trick plays really rarely. That way the defense doesn't expect them.
    b) Use them in situations when the defense is not expecting them. The best time I can think of is early in the game, because players are concentrating on getting their job done, and are not usually worrying about trick plays. I can remember a time in the CFL Playoffs a few years ago when my Bombers were playing the Edmonton Eskimos. On the first drive of the game, we got the Eskimos into a 3rd-and-26 (we only have 3 downs in the CFL) so it was a punting situation. But because our players were concentrating on their assignment, noone picked up on a direct snap and they got the first down.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

what do you guys think of throwing a bomb on a first down, or the very first play of the game for that matter? Usually to open up a game it is a run right up the gut, what if we did a playaction and aired it out there. That would be pretty cool, no one would expect it.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"coreychavous21" wrote:
    what do you guys think of throwing a bomb on a first down, or the very first play of the game for that matter? Usually to open up a game it is a run right up the gut, what if we did a playaction and aired it out there. That would be pretty cool, no one would expect it.
    I think it would probably work every once in a while. It would be a good way to incorporate Williamson into the offence. Since he has such blazing speed, why not just throw it up there and let him run onto it. Kind of reminds me of the first play last year with McNabb and TO.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast