Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The Triangle Of Authority

Are they football geniuses?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: The Triangle Of Authority

Nope.

I think the following were big mistakes......

a. Not signing Ray Edwards to a long term contract. He will leave at the end of this year with no clear guy ready to take over that position.

The drafting of Everson Griffen will help, and some believe that Robison can take over, but I Rob will be seen as a liability against the run in our base by D-coords as we saw last year when Ray went down and Griff just isn't ready to be an every down starter based on what little we've seen this year.

b. Not fixing our DT position for the last 2 years. Now we are looking a serious issue as it relates to stopping the run. Fred Evans is nothing more than a cat who can take a rep or two and only if they are in passing situations. Jimmy Kennedy hasn't shown anything this year, mostly cause he still wants to play DE and not DT.

c. Not signing Sydney Rice to a long term contract. Basically, now, his agent has him taking the year off so he doesn't get hurt as he knows there are teams out there like the Patriots, Jets and possibly even the Bores and Lions in our division who will give him top money to come play for them.

d. Not signing Chad Greenway to a long term extension. Can you imagine the teams that are lining up to talk to his agent about his services.

Long story short, in this league, you don't wait until the player is on his last contract year. You go ahead and ink him coming into that last year. That does two things for you.......

1. You get him a bit cheaper.
    2. You show him that you really want him on your team.

Well, it does another thing....

3. It shows the rest of the team that you will reward them for good play. If you don't do that, they will take thier talents someplace else where they will feel appreciated.

Long story short, I have given this FO huge props on how this team was being built since 2006. Starting in 2009, I really think they've screwed the pooch and we the fans are seeing the fallout from it.

And for you chuckleheads out there that want to say the CBA had a role in this, I raise the bullshit flag. Other teams have inked thier talent this year. Why the hell haven't the Vikes? :dry:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Nope.

a. Not signing Ray Edwards to a long term contract. He will leave at the end of this year with no clear guy ready to take over that position.

The drafting of Everson Griffen will help, and some believe that Robison can take over, but I Rob will be seen as a liability against the run in our base by D-coords as we saw last year when Ray went down and Griff just isn't ready to be an every down starter based on what little we've seen this year.

b. Not fixing our DT position for the last 2 years. Now we are looking a serious issue as it relates to stopping the run. Fred Evans is nothing more than a cat who can take a rep or two and only if they are in passing situations. Jimmy Kennedy hasn't shown anything this year, mostly cause he still wants to play DE and not DT.

c. Not signing Sydney Rice to a long term contract. Basically, now, his agent has him taking the year off so he doesn't get hurt as he knows there are teams out there like the Patriots, Jets and possibly even the Bores and Lions in our division who will give him top money to come play for them.

d. Not signing Chad Greenway to a long term extension. Can you imagine the teams that are lining up to talk to his agent about his services.

Long story short, in this league, you don't wait until the player is on his last contract year. You go ahead and ink him coming into that last year. That does two things for you.......

3. It shows the rest of the team that you will reward them for good play. If you don't do that, they will take thier talents someplace else where they will feel appreciated.

Long story short, I have given this FO huge props on how this team was being built since 2006. Starting in 2009, I really think they've screwed the pooch and we the fans are seeing the fallout from it.

And for you chuckleheads out there that want to say the CBA had a role in this, I raise the bullshit flag. Other teams have inked thier talent this year. Why the hell haven't the Vikes? :dry:
    I only disagree on Edwards...I don't think he'll be worth the money he'll want.

Also Rice...he's had ONE good season. He's not ready for prime-time money...especially when he can't get or stay healthy.

And I do think the CBA played a role in this...but I agree the FO is handling it wrong with respect to Greenway. Get that kid locked up NOW.

Caine

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Even if we offered them contracts I think their agents would drag their feet about signing until they know who is coaching next year. I don't think a lot of them would sign if its going to be Childress, especially when they could get the same money anywhere else.

WWBGD

Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Nope.

Also Rice...he's had ONE good season. He's not ready for prime-time money...especially when he can't get or stay healthy.

And I do think the CBA played a role in this...but I agree the FO is handling it wrong with respect to Greenway. Get that kid locked up NOW.

Caine
    Agree on both Edwards and Rice, but only when you look at what they will get on the FA market.

If the staff would have signed Ray at the end of last year, that price would be acceptable and lower than what he is gonna garner when he hits the market.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Nope.

Caine
    Agree on both Edwards and Rice, but only when you look at what they will get on the FA market.

If the staff would have signed Ray at the end of last year, that price would be acceptable and lower than what he is gonna garner when he hits the market.
    Not so sure about that. Edwards had his inflated '09 stats to bargain with, as well as the (false) expectation of big money in upcoming free agency.

I think we lose him regardless as he would have wanted too much, and will try and use '09 as his measuring stick in negotiations.

Caine

RK. wrote:
    Even if we offered them contracts I think their agents would drag their feet about signing until they know who is coaching next year. I don't think a lot of them would sign if its going to be Childress, especially when they could get the same money anywhere else.
    Why?

The way the normal process works, the FO pukes ask the coaching staff thier opinion of these players. If the coaches are high on the kid, the FO pukes give him a good check, mostly cause the coaching staff have used him in a manner that shows he should be rewarded.

Why would an agent move a player from a environment conduscive to the kid meeting incentives?

To many times you see a guy move on to another team after his first contract, only to see him fade away. In most instances its because they opted to go to a place that will give them a big deal.

Reality sets in when that big deal is tied to incentives and the new scheme doesn't allow him to achieve those incentives.

Haynesworth is the best example out there. His contract was structured around a 4-3 scheme. Now that the new regime is in there and they run a 3-4, he knows there is no way he is gonna hit those benchmarks and in the end, he won't get his money.

Long story short, agents know this, players know this.

Cats like Sharper didn't fit the scheme. Thats why they didn't like the staff. Cats like Rice, who was drafted for the scheme, shouldn't even think twice about the coach, especially if they are playing well.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Players want to play for a team that has a chance to go to the big dance. You think the Childress KAO is going to do that? You think players have a chance to make their incentives under Childress play calling. Favre will not be here calling plays next year. They will be coming from the sideline again all the time. You are dreaming if you think top players will sign up for that.

WWBGD

RK. wrote:
    Players want to play for a team that has a chance to go to the big dance. You think the Childress KAO is going to do that? You think players have a chance to make their incentives under Childress play calling. Favre will not be here calling plays next year. They will be coming from the sideline again all the time. You are dreaming if you think top players will sign up for that.
    First.....The Chiller doesn't call the plays.

Second....They almost got to the dance last year with the Noodle playing in the scheme. In case you didn't notice, it was the scheme that helped him have his best statistical year last year, not the Noodle making the calls.

Seriously RK, who sends in the plays and the player packages associated with them? Does the Noodle have a miche that everyone on the sideline can hear so that when he say gimme a 22 set, the TEs, RB's, FB's and WR's know who is supposed to come out for the plays that are sent int?

What I will agree with you on is that the Noodle has the option to select what play he runs based on that set, but he is restricted by that package. That process was what happened all year not only with the Vikings but for all the other teams as well.

Like it or not, thats really how things work.

On a side note, did you hear CC's comments or Fitz's comments about how they would love to catch balls from TJ?

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

RK. wrote:
    I don't think the agents give a shit about who is coaching next year. Agents will drag it out because there's no CBA for next season and, until there is, they run the risk of signing a contract that plays them less than full value under the new CBA.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast