Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    bender_over is offline Rookie

Training Camp 2006 --> Last year at Mankato?

Being from the Sioux Falls area, but now living in the Twin Cities, I have mixed feelings about it. I'd like to see Sioux Falls host Vikings training camp, but not if it means risking any chance at a stadium bill passing.
    I guess Sioux Falls isn't that serious about it this time around though. They won't be offering up nearly as much money and they don't want to compete with another city, meaning they'd likely withdrawl from contention if any other offers come along. Also, they have committments for a new rec center and plan on trying to build an events center in the future, which really limits what they can offer financially.

Howard Wood Field has since gotten FieldTurf since the 2003 bid, but the offer will still be less attractive this time around. I've never been to Vikings training camp but I have been to an MSU game at Blakeslee stadium. Howard Wood quite a bit nicer and there's a Sheraton on site for the players to stay in, rather than the dorms they've been staying at in Mankato.
    -------------------------------

http://argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060206/NEWS/60206009

Sioux Falls makes another run at Vikings camp

By MIKE KLINSKI
    [email protected]

Article Published: 02/6/06, 2:15 pm

Sioux Falls is going to make another pitch for the Minnesota Vikings’ training camp.

Kelby Krabbenhoft, president of Sioux Valley Hospitals and Health System and a primary leader in a 2003 effort to bring the Vikings training camp to Sioux Falls, announced Monday that community leaders will visit with new Vikings owner Zygi Wilf in March or April.

The move is being made after the recent dissolution of a partnership that operated the training camp in Mankato, Minn., coupled with encouraging comments from Wilf, who has said that holding training camp in Sioux Falls would give the franchise the opportunity to reach out to fans outside the Twin Cities.

This time, however, Krabbenhoft said no state, city or school district dollars would be used in the bid. The proposal would be for fewer dollars than promised in 2003, he added.

And, Krabbenhoft said, Sioux Falls would not get into a competition with Mankato, Duluth, Minn., Fargo, N.D., or any other community to host the training camp.

“We aren’t going to compete this time,” he said. “If there’s another bid, we’re out.”

The Greater Mankato Training Camp Limited Liability Corp. was a public-private partnership formed in 2004 to operate the Vikings' training camp. After two years, the group decided the costs outweighed the benefits and informed the team it was dissolving.

The camp will be held in Mankato this summer with the team handling many of the details.

Sioux Falls' effort to get the camp in 2003 enlisted the support of the state, the city and the Sioux Falls School District.

For a while, the city appeared to be a clear front-runner in the 2003 competition, which included bids from Fargo, and Duluth and Mankato in Minnesota.

But Sioux Falls' status faded when Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty publicly cautioned the Vikings and then-owner Red McCombs against moving the camp out of Minnesota while the Legislature was contemplating financing a new stadium.

Sioux Falls' proposal promised a renovation of Howard Wood Field and included $2 million from the Sioux Falls City Council, $1.2 million from the Sioux Falls School District, $2 million from the state of South Dakota and $400,000 from the Sioux Falls Development Foundation.

It was all for naught. After several delays, the Vikings announced in January 2004 that the camp would remain in Mankato on the Minnesota State campus for a 40th season in a row.

Read more about the story in Tuesday’s Argus Leader.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Training Camp 2006 --> Last year at Mankato?

The officials have no hope for a long term training camp contract. They will not offer big money for a couple of reasons. They know that the intention is to leave in a a few years for a Blaine Camp. Also, some of the offering from the last time around, have been implemented already in upgrades from the school money if I am not mistaken, so that will make the overall offering look smaller than last time, it is already spent. The fact that they were used last time by Red to try and make MN want the team more has to sour the SF backer a bit. I am sure that is how they still feel, like we are being used here for purposes of getting the stadium built.

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

I am glad they are staying in Mankato.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The training camp BELONGS in Minnesota...sorry Sioux Falls!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

6-KINGS Guest

Either place I am aiming for being there.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

02/06/2006

[size=18px]Vikings Training Camp: New Game Plan[/size]

One day after the Super Bowl and efforts are underway once again to try and bring the Minnesota Vikings training camp to Sioux Falls. Only this time, the committee that was formed to try and lure the team away from Mankato in 2004, has a different game plan.............

The rest of the story is here;

http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDetail5440.cfm?Id=0,45786

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Agree completely.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Agree completely.
    I disagree completely...you wanna know why?

Us South Dakotans actually appreciate having this team in the area, we would make it happen, unlike the penny-pinching Red McCombs wannabees in Minnesota who vote down the sales tax year after year so the Vikes can't get a new stadium.

Let us South Dakotans, who enjoy and appreciate the Vikes have our 3 or 4 year training camp appearances for the goodbye tour before they move out of town after Zygi sells the team cuz its impossible to get a new stadium.

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"audioghost" wrote:
    "DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Agree completely.
    I disagree completely...you wanna know why?

Us South Dakotans actually appreciate having this team in the area, we would make it happen, unlike the penny-pinching Red McCombs wannabees in Minnesota who vote down the sales tax year after year so the Vikes can't get a new stadium.

Let us South Dakotans, who enjoy and appreciate the Vikes have our 3 or 4 year training camp appearances for the goodbye tour before they move out of town after Zygi sells the team cuz its impossible to get a new stadium.
    What's with all this negativity and stuff about the Vikings leaving MN?
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Why do you care, you live in Virginia?

I would love this, and for those of you (if not all, except me) who have never been to Sioux Falls, 90% of NFL fans in my city love their Vikes...South Dakota loves the Vikes, and we diserve something! Why do you care, its only 10 mins outta Minny? Let us have this, its not like we're asking for the regular season games....which we probably would have a better chance at getting a stadium deal here....Minnesotans piss me off when it comes to stadiums, ppl don't appreciate what they got till its gone....and it will be, if you guys don't stop pu$$y-footing around!

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast