Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Eyedea is offline Pro-Bowler

Trading Culpepper Would Be Colossal Mistake

For my next paper I had to do a persuasive piece. At first i was going to do Tice shouldnt have been fired, but then I changed it to Daunte shouldnt be traded. Its due tommorrow, so if you guys have any suggestions, they would be greatly appriecated.

Trading Culpepper Would Be Colossal Mistake

In 1989 the Minnesota Vikings were part of the largest player trade in NFL History. Trading three first and second round picks, along with three players and two other draft picks, the Vikings acquired Herschel Walker from the Dallas Cowboys. The two teams suddenly spun in different directions. Walker played only three seasons with the Vikings, failing to capture a 1,000 yard season. While the Cowboys used those draft picks, including one to draft Emmitt Smith, to build a championship team. A trade that would send Daunte Culpepper from the Vikings could have this type of implications. Culpepper is a franchise quarterback, should be healthy for next season, and is a far better option than Brad Johnson in the long run. It is for these reasons that the Minnesota Vikings should not trade Daunte Culpepper.

There are many reasons they should not trade Culpepper, but the most obvious reason is that he is a franchise quarterback, playing right in the middle of his prime. Since his rookie year where he didn’t even attempt a pass, and until last year where he missed over half the season, Culpepper has put up superb numbers, compiling a quarterback rating over 95 three of the five seasons. The Vikings signal caller rarely got injured, missing only seven games. Between the years 2002 and 2004 the Vikings possessed the second best, best, and third best offenses in the league. It obvious Daunte Culpepper, who is only 29 years old, is a type of quarterback a team wants to build around. It would be unintelligent for the Vikings to trade away a franchise quarterback that is hitting his prime.

A strong reason to trade away Culpepper is the questions surrounding his health. Although he is hitting his prime, he is hitting it injured. After tearing all three ligaments in his knee, Daunte has spent the past months trying to get himself ready for training camp. It will be a tough feat as only one player, Willis McGahee, has come back from that type of injury. It will be nearly impossible for Culpepper to regain his old form, but a nearly healthy Daunte Culpepper is better than most starting quarterbacks in the league. However, with today’s medical technologies he could come very close. Another aspect is Culpepper’s work ethic. After hearing ciomments by coaches and teammates, it obvious Culpepper is a hard worker, committed to winning. It is this type of work ethic that is needed to heal from this type of injury. It is true that Daunte Culpepper will never be the same quarterback, but with today’s medical advancements and his work ethic, he will come extremely close to regaining his form.

One rational behind trading Daunte Culpepper is the strong play of Brad Johnson in Culpepper’s absence. Johnson started the final 9 games of the year, leading the Vikings to 7 wins. Settling the offense down, Johnson lead the Vikings offense to score at least 20 points in 8 of 9 games, while under Culpepper, they scored 20 points in only 2 of 5 games. It looks pretty obvious who the starting quarterback should be. However, looks can be deceiving. Culpepper faced teams with a .527 win percentage, and only 3 of 7 games were at home. While Johnson faced teams with only a .451 win percentage, and 5 of 9 games at home. It’s much easier to win games when playing bad teams, than good teams. It is also easier when your defense steps up its play. During Culpepper’s starts, the defense allowed a whopping 27.6 points per game, forcing only 1.43 turnovers per game. However, during Johnson’s starts, the defense allowed only 16.8 points per game, and set up the offense, forcing a tremendous 2.67 turnovers per game. Seeing these stats, it easy to see that it wasn’t all of Brad Johnson that led the Vikings to it late season rally. Another reason Culpepper is a better option at quarterback it age. While Culpepper, 29, still has several quality years left in him, Johnson, 37, probably can count his years left on his right throwing hand. Brad Johnson should not start instead of Culpepper because he succeeded in a much easier situation, and is already 37 years old.

When the Vikings traded for Herschel Walker they thought they were acquiring a star to improve their team. If the Vikings trade Daunte Culpepper they would lose a star, making them worse. Both of these trades were and would be a mistake. Daunte Culpepper is too good a quarterback, will be healthy, and is better than Brad Johnson. If the Vikings were smart, they would learn from their mistakes and not trade Daunte Culpepper.
    Make love to the present, fuck the past
    --Sage Francis

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Trading Culpepper Would Be Colossal Mistake

All I have to say is that it won't be a colossal mistake WHEN we trade Culpepper. He suffered a severe injury, didn't prove he can survive without Moss, the HC is worried if Pep will fit the new offense, he is becoming a bit of a cancer in all his wanting a new contract, and there will be some good QB's out there for the taking.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

The only thing that I am concerned with in dealing DC is if it will ruin team chemistry. After that article today with the 5 teamates saying that they shouldn't trade him, I think by trading him, they will piss off alot of the players remaining on the team.

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    All I have to say is that it won't be a colossal mistake WHEN we trade Culpepper. He suffered a severe injury, didn't prove he can survive without Moss, the HC is worried if Pep will fit the new offense, he is becoming a bit of a cancer in all his wanting a new contract, and there will be some good QB's out there for the taking.
    wasnt the reason we traded moss was because he was a cancer? you see it really didn't help anything...
    --Sage Francis

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    btw who are these good qbs out for the taking? John Kinta? Kerry Collins? Drew Brees?...
    --Sage Francis

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Great job Eyedea! It was fun to read. Good thoughts and insight.

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    The only thing that I am concerned with in dealing DC is if it will ruin team chemistry. After that article today with the 5 teamates saying that they shouldn't trade him, I think by trading him, they will piss off alot of the players remaining on the team.
    What chemistry ??? You gotta be kiddin' !!!
    No one knows what the f*** right now, believe me.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Great paper Eyedea. Bonus points for the Vikings as subjects!

"Eyedea" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    wasnt the reason we traded moss was because he was a cancer? you see it really didn't help anything...
    If I recall correctly, one of the reasons Moss was traded because of a few run ins with Ol' Red.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

"Eyedea" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:
    btw who are these good qbs out for the taking? John Kinta? Kerry Collins? Drew Brees?...
    Jon Kitna was the leagues most improved player in his last year as starter and Drew Brees was a pro-bowler so uh... yea.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast