Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Peterson?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    You are making a stronger case for dumping him than keeping him, even if we get little in return.
    Well let me add to that. He's an older RB who has the potential to sit out a bunch of games due to injury. He's also by far the best back in the game, and when healthy can carry an offense on his back. He can do things no other back does, and plays through stuff that would keep lesser men out of games. He's worth alot to us, but it's tough to justify giving up a ton of picks for him.

Read your paragraph above and then reconsider his real(not his perceived) value.
    Real value: $11.75 million this year. $12.75 next year. $14.75 in 2016, $16.75 in 2017.

That's his real value. There are teams willing to pay that. If he gets hurt with a career ending injury, only $4 mil of his contract is guaranteed, $32 million is guaranteed "for skill".

Teams would not be willing to commit two firsts, three firsts, or a package of multiple firsts and mid-round picks. We're not getting a Herschel Walker type deal.

But if we talk about production and value to the team, we're talking about a guy who averages 1445 yards per season, including a season he failed to reach 1000 yards due to injury. We're talking about a player who averages exactly 13 TDs per season. (LT averaged 14.72, Jim Brown:14, Sanders: 10.9, Smith: 11.6, Payton: 9.6, Dickerson: 8.2) So we're talking about someone who ranks up with the very best of all time. Not only is he a productive Viking, but he is the face of the franchise. He gives every fan a reason to watch the games.

We are spoiled with having AP. When he only runs for 110 yards, that's a down game. Remember when we had Moe Williams, Onterrio Smith and Mewelde Moore? Cracking 75 yards was a good game for one of them. We used to be so hurting at RB, trying to find someone (Ciatrick Fason in the fourth anybody?) It wasn't until Chester Taylor that we had any type of consistency.

So yes, I stand by the statement that AP is worth more to us as a Viking, than what we would reasonably get in return for a trade.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Some of this hinges on just what we can get from him. We got a 1st for Harvin and I believe we can get more for AP than we got for Harvin so say we get a 1st and a second. With that, if we can bundle those picks and move up to get a franchise QB that can lead the team for a decade and give us 35 TD's and 4500 yards passing a season it's a slam dunk. Now, I am not guaranteeing that such a player exists in this draft or who that is, but just setting the terms where if a player like that is available and if that trade would happen, that is where my threshold is to trade him. Obviously if we trade him and get the equivalent of Napoleon Harris and Troy Williamson in return it wouldn't be a good return.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Some of this hinges on just what we can get from him. We got a 1st for Harvin and I believe we can get more for AP than we got for Harvin so say we get a 1st and a second.
    Maybe a first and second, but We're not getting multiple firsts. I feel Harvin had better trade value than AP. Small contract, young player, superstar in the making.
    With that, if we can bundle those picks and move up to get a franchise QB that can lead the team for a decade and give us 35 TD's and 4500 yards passing a season it's a slam dunk.
    So you'd give up our best player in a long time for draft picks in a eyar where there isn't a franchise slam dunk QB? If this were the Luck year, then sure, I might see that. It's not though, it's the Manziel and Bridgewater year.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post

So you'd give up our best player in a long time for draft picks in a eyar where there isn't a franchise slam dunk QB?
    Did you even read the post or did you intentionally quote everything except the part that answers that very question? Sheesh.

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    With that, if we can bundle those picks and move up to get a franchise QB that can lead the team for a decade and give us 35 TD's and 4500 yards passing a season it's a slam dunk. Now, I am not guaranteeing that such a player exists in this draft or who that is, but just setting the terms where if a player like that is available and if that trade would happen, that is where my threshold is to trade him.
    That's exactly where I'm at too. There is no slam dunk QB anywhere in the near future but I think Bridgewater might have the goods. He looks comfortable in the pocket and delivers a good ball with defenders around him. He is the only one worth trading up for IMO. A first and a second sounds about right, but like you said, only if they think they can get the right QB. I don't think anyone gives that up for even the best RB but it's realistic.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    My personal preference would be to keep AD on the roster until he retires, unless he somehow no longer wants to be on the team. I think AD is worth one first, one second, and one third-round draft picks. I don't foresee any team giving up that much for AD. Just keep him and make the most of him in the years to come.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post
    . I think AD is worth one first, one second, and one third-round draft picks.
    call me crazy, but I'd pull the trigger on that (excuse the pun) all day long! We have so many holes to fill & I feel the extra picks will be beneficial. I feel we are too one dimensional with him, just my opinion.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    call me crazy, but I'd pull the trigger on that (excuse the pun) all day long! We have so many holes to fill & I feel the extra picks will be beneficial. I feel we are too one dimensional with him, just my opinion.
    Jerry Jones might go for that, and Peterson may as well. That makes it a possibility despite Spielman saying AD isn't going anywhere. He said the same thing about Frazier.
    And though most here don't think there is a franchise QB in this draft class, I'll bet the Vikings think there is. It's just a matter of where he should be drafted.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    call me crazy, but I'd pull the trigger on that (excuse the pun) all day long! We have so many holes to fill & I feel the extra picks will be beneficial.
    I would be tempted, especially knowing how quickly running backs fall off.

I feel we are too one dimensional with him, just my opinion.
    Is that him, or is that coaching?

Norv Turner likes to punish defenses with the run, so Peterson should get his carries. Turner also likes to go deep if the defense does not respect the passing game. The key here is if Peterson can stay in and block well enough for the receivers to get deep. If he cannot, he will be a weak spot on the offense.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    I would be tempted, especially knowing how quickly running backs fall off.

Is that him, or is that coaching?

Norv Turner likes to punish defenses with the run, so Peterson should get his carries. Turner also likes to go deep if the defense does not respect the passing game. The key here is if Peterson can stay in and block well enough for the receivers to get deep. If he cannot, he will be a weak spot on the offense.
    Interesting take, by that angle, should we keep Gerhardt instead? Probably ought to think about that if we were to trade Peterson...

But, I don't think so. I think AP's presence is threat enough to draw a defender on most plays anyway. And then there is his threat to go the distance any and every time he touches the ball. And, he is TOO Good of a Fit here with Turner coming in. It should be a balanced offense that can pound the rock down your throat and then make you pay big for inching up on the LOS, that utilizes play action fakes and that balanced attack to keep opponents on their heels. Not to mention, he is probably one of the top ten selling jerseys on the market and why Vikings fans still go to games. I think he's too important to the franchise as a whole, in the big picture, to trade him for what anybody would offer in todays pass-first league.

But if you want to know where I might think about it...forget about a QB, nobody trades away franchise QBs. But, we need secondary help in a bad way...maybe, we demand a good, up and coming starting CB in his younger-mid 20s with some good years still ahead of him? AND, an early first and third this year, (I'd want more if this year's first was past mid way) AND a 2nd next year.

Like maybe? Houston's first overall pick and Kareem Jackson? Plus a 3? No.1 overall is worth extra for sure!
    OR, Buster Skrine and Clevland's no.4? Plus a 4 this year and a 2 next?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast