Del Rio Guest

Tough weekend all around

That was a crazy weekend. I shot my deer on Friday night, mt friend shot his and proceeded to slit his wrist on a rib bone while gutting his deer, so we had a long hike out to the truck. Dropped him off at the doctors and went home to find my wife in serious pain. So I took her to the hospital and she had some sort of pinched nerve.

She is 4 months pregers, so they kept us overnight. They gave her some mild form of muslce relaxer, and let us go home. She is still is feeling a bit better but she is on bed rest for a few weeks. Add in the fact that my 17 month old son is running around like a wild man is a tough situation.

I did manage to see the game Sunday. What a fork in the eye. Make that a spork.

Like I said all damn preseaon, all damn offseason Fred Smoot is ...not...that good. I compared him to Brian Williams, supported it with stats, and with ideas. Needless to say I got blasted, and most of those people have vanished since the season started to appear doomed.

Now if this game is not evidence that Ted Cottrell is THE worst defensive cord in the NFL I don't know what is. Like I said the 3-4 is good at stopping the run, but that is about it. We needed to pressure the QB.......*sigh*

It sucks Culpepper got hurt. I didn't find the hit a "cheap" shot. It's football, it happens. It's unfortunate but there is a reason that most serious football injuries are leg,knee,foot related.

Brad Johnson, I am a supporter of old Brad Johnson, depending on what direction the coaching staff goes, it really doesn't scare me to have Brad in there. I did read Tice wanted to keep the game plan short because Brad has no arm, that's a bad idea.....but we will see.

Defense needs to line four men up on the line and let em go, bring some pressure. You get beat when you don't....might as well risk the deep ball. Smoot needs to calm down, and work....just work.......a lot.

I'm not predicting superbowl, but I feel we win in a big way come Sunday. I also feel that the way Brad carries himself will determine a lot for the remainder of the season. If he can pull out a good game, and win convincingly he can get some support from the team, try to scrape together some sort of heartbeat in this team.

At this point in the season I can say the coaching staff is gone, especially Ted (goodbye Ted you will be missed by a few) enjoy where ever the hell you end up, preferably somewhere in the NFC North. I was never too optimistic about any of the new additions, maybe Napoleon Harris, but he has yet to produce consistently he has made a few HUGE plays, but sustained nothing.

The win loss record mean nothing to me now, the only thing it relates to is for all those people who THINK they know the next best thing and want to start talking draft. Most likely quite a few of the same people who were equating Smoot to god, and whatever garbage they were throwing around. Those people don't know shit. It's a guessing game, and 90% of the time they are wrong and then dissappear.

Records aside it is about building on something, anything. Gaining some respect for themselves, I'm not worried about respect from fans, respect from other teams fans, the NFL in general. Just themselves. I want to see some of it spill onto the field. Success has always scared the Vikings after they turned from a football team to a finesse ballarina machine.

Lets face it, expectations are low at this point. This is when true players and true leaders emerge is when the lights go down and no one gives you a second thought even your own teamates. This is the time some of those blue collar guys that many fans want off the team in exchange for high profile prissy ass players step up and change a football team. The desperation is so low that you have a guy speak out that usually is quiet, a guy that is ignoring SMOOT PEPPER SHARPER BIRK in the locker room when they are spouting off garbage about playing with heart.

Because there is one thing real football players can't stand and it isn't losing it is being embarrassed on the field. Your going to start seeing some fireworks on the football field before the season is out. I guarantee it. A few names are going to crop up that you haven't noticed in a while.

Some names that produce night in and night out that some people will start to see now that the Fancy players have had their true nature exposed. There's still some football left to play.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Tough weekend all around

I think that PWill is one of the quiet ones that will step up and challenge the rest of his teammates...maybe Brad will step up now that he is the starter and challenge the offense as well. It's a new game next week...against a team that we CAN beat...IF we play within ourselves.

Welcome back, Del...even if it is only for a cameo appearance...you made some very good points!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Records aside it is about building on something, anything. Gaining some respect for themselves, I'm not worried about respect from fans, respect from other teams fans, the NFL in general. Just themselves. I want to see some of it spill onto the field. Success has always scared the Vikings after they turned from a football team to a finesse ballarina machine.

Lets face it, expectations are low at this point. This is when true players and true leaders emerge is when the lights go down and no one gives you a second thought even your own teamates. This is the time some of those blue collar guys that many fans want off the team in exchange for high profile prissy jiggly butt players step up and change a football team. The desperation is so low that you have a guy speak out that usually is quiet, a guy that is ignoring SMOOT PEPPER SHARPER BIRK in the locker room when they are spouting off garbage about playing with heart.

Because there is one thing real football players can't stand and it isn't losing it is being embarrassed on the field. Your going to start seeing some fireworks on the football field before the season is out. I guarantee it. A few names are going to crop up that you haven't noticed in a while.

Some names that produce night in and night out that some people will start to see now that the Fancy players have had their true nature exposed. There's still some football left to play.
    Right here was the meat of that post. And I, for one, loved it.

Caine

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Great post Del. This season is far from over but it is not looking all too good for us. Let's just support old Brad Johnson and hope to god that he can win us a few games.

Del Rio Guest

Defenses do not tolerate that level of failure, especially like that. Your going to have some very fired up large men that want very badly to kill Jeff Garcia, because on gameday, Jeff Garcia is going to represent the Bears, the Bucs, the Bengals, the Panthers, and the grinch.

There needs to be some blood pumping in that heart though and you aren't going to get that energy going from listening to the same old speel from the same "leaders"

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    At this point in the season I can say the coaching staff is gone, especially Ted (goodbye Ted you will be missed by a few) enjoy where ever the hell you end up, preferably somewhere in the NFC North. I was never too optimistic about any of the new additions, maybe Napoleon Harris, but he has yet to produce consistently he has made a few HUGE plays, but sustained nothing.

The win loss record mean nothing to me now, the only thing it relates to is for all those people who THINK they know the next best thing and want to start talking draft. Most likely quite a few of the same people who were equating Smoot to god, and whatever garbage they were throwing around. Those people don't know pooh. It's a guessing game, and 90% of the time they are wrong and then dissappear.

Coaching staff:

I know we have talked about it before, but 2 to 3 more losses and I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes. Tice is sinking and he is dragging all of us down, especially the team. Listen to the PC tomorrow when they have it online on vikings.com and you will hear it. He displays no confidence at all. He doesn't sound like he knows which direction he is going.

Win/Loss and Building Blocks:

I think the thing for us is to find those guys that want to play. I am not worried about winning at this point either. Mentally, I have resigned to the fact that we are will be lucky to win 5. Realistically, I think that our role is to be the upset team. We have to go out and get some respect.

As far as building blocks, hopefully some of those behind the scene guys will use this time to show their leadership. I just don't think that much will change though until we get a new attitude in the form of Head Coach.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Del Rio, BTW, glad you made it through the weekend with the non-football stuff.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I actually want to keep tice as an assistant. I think that he is a good assistant coach in the NFL just a horrible head coach. Tice and Loney need to go though. Tice is a players coach only. Thats why I want him as an assisant. If we get a hard assed HC and keep Tice as an assistant, I think we could play the good cop bad cop game with players. Some players hate Tice, others love him. He is a good guy and we all know that.

Del Rio Guest

I think the good cop deal is what hurt him right off the bat. When you go from being the good cop assistant to the head coach it's hard to draw that line with the players who have grown accustomed to you being a puch over.