Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Touchdown to checkdown

I bet TWill will drop a few more against Carolina, but I see the Chicago game as when he finally gets it and BOOM!!! breaks out.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i was looking at the stats from the washington game, and this whole "check down" thing was supposed to be composed of a lot of small gains. but if things pan out like this, ik none of us will be complaining

heres some recieving stats:
    Chester Taylor: 3 Receptions, 43 yards, 14.333 ave.
    Troy Williamson: 4 Receptions, 77 yards, 19.3 ave.
    Marcus Robinson: 1 Reception, 20 yards, 20 ave
    Billy McMullen: 1 Reception, 22 yards, 22 ave.
    Travis Taylor: 1 Reception, 24 yards, 24 ave.

Brad's numbers were brought down to 7.43 yards per average by the checkdowns, but those numbers are pretty damn good, to have 5 players average about 15 yards + per catch.

(Jimmy had 1 for 8, and Wiggins had 3 for 29, 5.8 average)

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

oakmage is offline Starter

If I remember correctly Brad Johnston my not have a strong arm but he was known for his ability to throw a deep pass for completions and not ints.

Purple Kool Aid is offline Training Camp

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    i was looking at the stats from the washington game, and this whole "check down" thing was supposed to be composed of a lot of small gains. but if things pan out like this, ik none of us will be complaining

heres some recieving stats:
    Chester Taylor: 3 Receptions, 43 yards, 14.333 ave.
    Troy Williamson: 4 Receptions, 77 yards, 19.3 ave.
    Marcus Robinson: 1 Reception, 20 yards, 20 ave
    Billy McMullen: 1 Reception, 22 yards, 22 ave.
    Travis Taylor: 1 Reception, 24 yards, 24 ave.

Brad's numbers were brought down to 7.43 yards per average by the checkdowns, but those numbers are pretty gol 'darnit good, to have 5 players average about 15 yards + per catch.

(Jimmy had 1 for 8, and Wiggins had 3 for 29, 5.8 average)
    That's exactly how I think it should look.
    Get your WRs downfield and let them make a play when they are open, but if they are covered then take what you can get and complete the high % completion to your TE and RBs (then let Chester make a play).
    I like that better than 60 min of 3-5 yd passing gains to your TE, 12+ play drives are hard to sustain for an entire game.
    Taking a couple shots per quarter really opens things up and keeps the defense honest as someone else pointed out.

Midwest Coast Offense is the evolutionary next step beyond the WCO.
    Better start working on that bronze bust of Childress for the Hall of Fame!
    http://purplekool-aid.blogspot.com/

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

The WCO isn't just dinks and dunks, but rather, take what the defense gives you.
    If they are cheating up, like they did in DC then T-will or someone else will be single covered.

For T-will that means deep, if it is say Marcus or Wiggo then you will get the shorter intermidiate routes and then and only then, the back out of the backfield after he chips and then finds the soft spot.

Yes, Brad can through the deep ball, but again, he will take what the defense gives him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Del Rio Guest

"Marrdro" wrote:
    The WCO isn't just dinks and dunks, but rather, take what the defense gives you.
    If they are cheating up, like they did in DC then T-will or someone else will be single covered.

For T-will that means deep, if it is say Marcus or Wiggo then you will get the shorter intermidiate routes and then and only then, the back out of the backfield after he chips and then finds the soft spot.

Yes, Brad can through the deep ball, but again, he will take what the defense gives him.
    The ammount of running suggests that it isn't a WCO at all. Every offense is take what they give you to some extent. Ramming the ball down the throats in 2 yard intervals 30 times a game in addition to working your progressions from long to short are almost at the opposite end of the spectrum. Which is fine, and IMO another example of the media misusing the terminology.

In a way the NFL has forced every team to be somewhat of a WCO in that the rules are designed to promote the pass, and in doing so creates a faster pace high flying circus act to attract fans and money.

Prophet Guest

It appears to me that they're running the Upper Midwest Chidress Offense (UMCO).

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

The ammount of running suggests that it isn't a WCO at all. Every offense is take what they give you to some extent. Ramming the ball down the throats in 2 yard intervals 30 times a game in addition to working your progressions from long to short are almost at the opposite end of the spectrum. Which is fine, and IMO another example of the media misusing the terminology.

In a way the NFL has forced every team to be somewhat of a WCO in that the rules are designed to promote the pass, and in doing so creates a faster pace high flying circus act to attract fans and money.
    dont expect to see that every single game, childress has said he plans on being pass/run 60/40.

"i'd say 50/50 but then your probably horse shit at both"

running it that much was the thing to do in that game, they in a way had something to prove in the o-line, t-rich, and CT.

plus it killed the clock

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Del Rio Guest

"Vikes_King" wrote:

dont expect to see that every single game, childress has said he plans on being pass/run 60/40.

"i'd say 50/50 but then your probably horse pooh at both"

running it that much was the thing to do in that game, they in a way had something to prove in the o-line, t-rich, and CT.

plus it killed the clock
    Time will tell, but if the preseason is any indicator then 50/50 is about where it is at.

Which is fine as long as it wins games.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:

Marcus can also catch the deep balls as well. Its not just his speed that gats him open but his height. He can get open deep over the middle or down the sideline.

Also do you guys remember that one third down pass to T.Taylor in the fourth quarter? That pass from Brad couldnt have been anymore perfect. It was inches away from a leaping linbackers hand right into the gloves of taylor. I really thought that pass was gonna be an INT i was amazed it was successful.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast