Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Topsy-turvy times for two rookies

guys, while i completely agree with everyone about carter, the one thing we need to take into consideration is this:

remember, childress and the staff have seen mcmullen in training camp drills, practices, and childress in philly.
    it is possible that given seen what he did, childress wrote mcmullen in on the roster early in the preseason, which is why he didnt play much.
    so instead of playing a guy he knew would make the team, he tried out the young new guys we had to see which of them we would keep; if any.

while i dont like the thought of losing a potential star over an unproven (so far unproductive) players, let us not judge him (too harshly) until a game or two has been played

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    guys, while i completely agree with everyone about carter, the one thing we need to take into consideration is this:

remember, childress and the staff have seen mcmullen in training camp drills, practices, and childress in philly.
    it is possible that given seen what he did, childress wrote mcmullen in on the roster early in the preseason, which is why he didnt play much.
    so instead of playing a guy he knew would make the team, he tried out the young new guys we had to see which of them we would keep; if any.

while i dont like the thought of losing a potential star over an unproven (so far unproductive) players, let us not judge him (too harshly) until a game or two has been played
    I could agree with your reasoning.
    You could be 100% correct.
    Personally, I don't buy into it.
    Like I said I haven't seen much from McMullen.
    People need to practice during game time situations and get your timing down with the QB.
    Especially ones that will be playing.
    Look at what happened to Dallas.
    That pass to Owens in the endzone wasn't a TD largely due to Romo not having his timing down with Owens.
    That should have been an easy score.
    That's why practice is so necessary.
    You can look at all the tapes you want (especially the 10 years of tapes Owens has) but if you don't practice with your team it will be a miracle if you come right in and the timing is down.
    Now I do give TO props for taking extra time to work with Bledsoe this week.

i agree, i wish childress would have put him in on a few more plays in the preseason, im just throwing out a possibility, and suggesting that while i want to also, that we dont discount mcmullen, until he proves to us that he's not worth being on this team

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

heres some stats about mcmullen (once again, let me say im not defending the guy, but want everyone to have the facts before we flame the guy)

2005: a mere 18 receptions, however for 268, and average of 14.9 yards per catch, with 1 TD, and 5 of those catches for 20+ yards.

13 of the 18 catches were first downs.

career: when thrown to on 3rd downs, he averages 11.5 yards with making the first down 83.3% of the time.

- Dan Calabrese

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    heres some stats about mcmullen (once again, let me say im not defending the guy, but want everyone to have the facts before we flame the guy)

2005: a mere 18 receptions, however for 268, and average of 14.9 yards per catch, with 1 TD, and 5 of those catches for 20+ yards.

career: when thrown to on 3rd downs, he averages 11.5 yards with making the first down 83.3% of the time.
    Is that not perfect for our brand of WCO? I'm a big Carter fan, but if that's what he can do, then he fits real well into our scheme. King, you raised a good point earlier about maybe Childress didn't play him due to the fact of preventing injury/seeing young guys, w/e. Just cuz he didn't make big plays when he was rarely in, doesn't mean he CAN'T. I do think he should have been in more, but Carter did better than EVERYBODY, so he should be on the team roster. At least he didn't play like McMahon. I'd rather see average/nothing than horrible...
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikes_King" wrote:

Everybody take note to these stats.
    These are good stats that matter.
    VK thank you for showing them and I agree he should have been given more of an opportunity to play to get an idea on how he does.
    The fact that he didn't play and Carter did as well as he did tells me to play Carter over McMullen.
    Since that is not the case, I hope McMullen plays like these stats suggest.
    Good post VK.

Prophet Guest

"ejmat" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:

Everybody take note to these stats.
    These are good stats that matter.
    VK thank you for showing them and I agree he should have been given more of an opportunity to play to get an idea on how he does.
    The fact that he didn't play and Carter did as well as he did tells me to play Carter over McMullen.
    Since that is not the case, I hope McMullen plays like these stats suggest.
    Good post VK.

Nice stats.

For some reason I get a feeling that Del Rio is going to jump in pretty soon and say, 'poish that turd, polish, polish, polish, make it shine.' or something like that.
    ;D

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

Childress has done some great things? Name them. Hes done a few good things.

He doesnt like rookies. Hes much happier with lukewarm players he knows.

Prophet Guest

"CCthebest" wrote:
    Childress has done some great things? Name them. Hes done a few good things.

He doesnt like rookies. Hes much happier with lukewarm players he knows.
    Nice to see that the lobotomy is working.
    Take off your blinders.
    He has made some questionable moves and a plethora of good moves that have been discussed in detail in a multitude of threads.
    Unlike your ground-breaking 'Chldress has a god complex' comments and negativity that has been strewn throughout the website without and supporting facts.
    For the third time, I'm asking you to start a thread and explain the Childress god complex theory.

Just in case you haven't learned yet.
    People, everyone on the site, that thrwos stuff into the mix without some sort of supporting documentation gets called on it.
    That's what puts this board above the 12-yr old run boards that are dominated by one-liners and ridiculous comments.
    If something is supposed fact, document it.
    People won't necessarily agree, but at least a discussion is developed.

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

Prophet, I said hes done some good things. My point was someone posted he did some great things, and he hasnt. Closest thing we have to great is BJ.

One example of the Childress god complex is the way he dealt with Pep. He saw someone with a bigger ego then his own, and didnt even try to talk to him, let alone re-sign. I think that was a big mistake seeing we got nothing for Pep in return.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast