ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Topsy-turvy times for two rookies

[size=10pt]Topsy-turvy times for two rookies[/size]
    Carter, Mathis wind up on practice squad

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15455806.htm

One day you've made the team.

The next day you're cut.

Then you're on the practice squad.

That was what Vikings wide receiver Jason Carter and running back Wendell Mathis went through during a crazy 72-hour stretch recently.

After a preseason during which the two undrafted rookies played better than expected, Carter and Mathis made the Vikings' 53-man roster Saturday.

They were shocked to be released Sunday, only to be added Monday to the Vikings' eight-man practice squad.

"I got that call (Sunday) morning, and I called Jason just to let him know what happened," Mathis said. "He said, 'I got that call, too.' I thought that was kind of strange."

Mathis, who attended Fresno State, finished second in rushing behind starter Chester Taylor with 19 carries for 83 yards during the preseason.

But it was Carter, a standout playmaker at Texas A&M last year, who turned the most heads as the Vikings' most productive receiver in the exhibition season with four catches for 155 yards and two touchdowns, including a 71-yard scoring reception against the Baltimore Ravens.

"I got the respect of my teammates," Carter said. "When guys like Travis (Taylor), Marcus (Robinson) and Darren Sharper tell you that you played good, you are proud of yourself."

The Vikings still decided to waive Carter and Mathis to make room on the roster for running back Artose Pinner and defensive back Rashad Baker, who were claimed off waivers Sunday.

Carter and Mathis spent considerable time as the team's lead punt and kick returners during training camp, so it would be the most likely way for both to stay on the active roster this season.

Carter said he looks forward to proving he deserves to be on the field.

"I was a little blindsided," he said "But it's not adversity for me. I know how to handle it. I always take everything and use it as motivation."

Bollinger signs extension: Quarterback Brooks Bollinger signed a two-year extension that pays him $2.4 million.

Bollinger, whom the Vikings acquired in a trade last Thursday, received an immediate signing bonus of $600,000, and he will make $500,000 in base salary this season. In 2007, Bollinger is due to make $800,000, including a $50,000 workout bonus. In 2008, he will make $1 million, including a $50,000 workout bonus.

Meanwhile, receiver Todd Pinkston, whom the Vikings signed Friday, will make $585,000 this season. But he has a split contract, which means his salary drops significantly if he is placed on injured reserve.

Injury update: Running back Mewelde Moore (knee) and cornerback Fred Smoot (bruised ribs) both practiced Wednesday, but they are questionable for the season opener Monday night at Washington. Moore, who missed the final three exhibition games, has moved back to No. 2 on the depth chart at tailback but still is No. 1 at punt returner.

Redskins running back Clinton Portis (shoulder) is listed as questionable for Monday. Cornerback Shawn Springs (abdomen) is listed as doubtful, and defensive end Renaldo Wynn (ankle) is listed as probable.

Portis hasn't played since suffering a partially dislocated left shoulder in the exhibition opener, but most of the Vikings said they expect him to play.

"It doesn't matter one way or another, but I do expect to see him," Sharper said.

New gig for Cottrell: Former Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell has accepted a position with the NFL as an appeals officer for player fines.

After 22 seasons as an NFL assistant, Cottrell said he was thankful to get the job and isn't sure whether he will look to get back into coaching.

Briefly: Receiver Quincy Morgan worked out Tuesday for the Vikings. Last year, Morgan averaged 25.3 yards on kickoffs for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

• Former Gustavus Adolphus receiver Ryan Hoag, who was with the Vikings during training camp, worked out for the Redskins. He could be signed to their practice squad today.

Prophet Guest

Re: Topsy-turvy times for two rookies

Both these guys show a lot of promise.
    Nice to see them on the practice squad instead of floating around in waiver-wire land.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    Both these guys show a lot of promise.
    Nice to see them on the practice squad instead of floating around in waiver-wire land.
    They are still FA's & can be signed away to an active roster in a heartbeat.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

I really wish they would have made a roster spot for Carter, I think he earned it. I mean if you come into the preseason and make the plays he did and you still cant make the team that is a problem.

I really hope Childress didn't make a mistake by grabbing Pinkston and putting a potential star on the practice squad.

Prophet Guest

I realize they can be signed away, but at least they aren't in wire-land.
    It's a slight improvement since a team has to take a 53-man slot to sign them.
    I too would prefer to see Carter on the 53 rather than McMullen or even Pussyton.

I would also take Mathis over MeMo (Pussyton and MeMo would make a nice couple)

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    I really wish they would have made a roster spot for Carter, I think he earned it. I mean if you come into the preseason and make the plays he did and you still cant make the team that is a problem.

I really hope Childress didn't make a mistake by grabbing Pinkston and putting a potential star on the practice squad.

My guess is that McMullen and/or Pinkston won't be with us long, and Carter comes back to the active roster soon.. McMullen has done nothing to show why he deserves to be on this team, and Carter has.. I see Carter here in no time at all..

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

My guess is that McMullen and/or Pinkston won't be with us long, and Carter comes back to the active roster soon.. McMullen has done nothing to show why he deserves to be on this team, and Carter has.. I see Carter here in no time at all..
    I think you could be right, and I hope you are.

I just also hope that Childress lets him know that, so he doesn't sign with someone else.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Carter earned a roster spot, there is no doubt about that in my mind. He is too good to be on a practice squad.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I agree with everyone Carter deserves a roster spot.
    Especially over McDullen and Pinkyboy.
    I would like the signing of Quincy Morgan as well.
    I think they should replace McDullen and Pinky with Carter and Morgan.
    Would change the amount of speed on the roster and give us 2 quality return men as well.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Can somebody explain to me why McMuffin earned a roster spot while doing nothing in the preseason...And Carter, who outperformed all of our WRs gets placed on the practice squad?
    I realize Carter wasn't really playing with the first team, but I dont' know what else he could have done to prove he's worthy of our roster.

This move really bothers me.
    Carter may be our saving grace for trading Basket for McMuffin.
    This guy (Muffin) hasn't even played a game for us and I already hate him.
    Not so much for his performance, but mainly because of what he APPEARS to be costing us with other talent.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast