Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Top Vikings candidates disappear

Top Vikings candidates disappear
    4 January 2006
    Link

Two leading possibilities, one for personnel director and another for head coach, have stayed with their teams. But Eagles assistant Brad Childress came in to interview.

Judd Zulgad and Mark Craig, Star Tribune
    Last update: January 04, 2006 – 6:38 AM

Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress moved quickly to the top of the Vikings' list of head coaching candidates Tuesday when Gregg Williams, the Washington Redskins assistant head coach/defense, agreed to an NFL-record deal to remain in Washington.

Williams' three-year, $8 million contract, the most ever given to an NFL assistant, marked the second consecutive day in which the Vikings lost out on a person they targeted for a top position within their organization. Eagles executive Tom Heckert, the first choice to become the Vikings' senior personnel executive, agreed to stay in Philadelphia after being promoted to general manager Monday.

Heckert's surprising decision to stay in Philadelphia, combined with the intense competition from seven other teams seeking head coaches, caused the Vikings to change directions Tuesday and make the head coaching hire a priority. Owner Zygi Wilf indicated Monday the team would hire the personnel executive first.

Wasting no time, the Vikings interviewed Childress on Tuesday. While Childress interviews in Green Bay today, the Vikings are scheduled to talk to Kansas City offensive coordinator Al Saunders and Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell. Saunders, who arrived in town Tuesday, is planning to interview for the Houston Texans' head coaching job Thursday.

According to people with knowledge of the Vikings' search, interviews are taking place at a Minneapolis hotel and are being led by vice president of operations and legal counsel Kevin Warren and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezin- ski. Owner Zygi Wilf and president Mark Wilf also have been present.

Warren did not return calls Tuesday, nor did Childress' agent, Bob LaMonte.

Lester Bagley, the Vikings' vice president of public affairs, said he could not provide any information on the interviews.

"As you can imagine it's an incredibly competitive situation with eight coaching openings," he said. "We are not commenting or discussing our process or any individual candidates other than to say we are aggressively working and trying to get it done as soon as possible."

Cottrell, who will meet with Vikings officials this morning, was supposed to talk with the team Tuesday.

"I'm definitely ready," Cottrell said when asked about today's interview.

Several Vikings defensive players mentioned Cottrell when asked Monday who they would like to see as head coach. This will be his eighth interview for an NFL head coaching position.

"I think everyone in the league knows my goal is to become a head coach in the NFL," he said. "It hasn't worked out yet, but hopefully it will. I'd love to get an opportunity here because I think we have some good players to work with."

Cottrell would satisfy the NFL's "Rooney Rule," which requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate. Cottrell's agent, Joe Linta, said Cottrell isn't the only minority the Vikings will interview.

"This is a serious interview based on Ted's performance from the sixth game on," Linta said. "They observed him closely and like what he's done. ... That was my first question, 'Are we fulfilling the 'Rooney Rule'? I was a little skeptical but if they are interviewing another minority candidate than they don't need to interview Ted unless they're serious."

With eight head coaching openings in the NFL, the Vikings are prepared with a list of alternate candidates.

University of Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz is a prominent name that could surface as a serious candidate at a later date. Ferentz repeatedly has stated his happiness at Iowa, but has admitted he probably will end up back in the NFL one day.

A former Cleveland Browns offensive line coach under Bill Belichick, Ferentz also has said he probably will end up going to a team with which he has ties. He has no known ties to the Vikings.

However, Wilf has made it clear that he won't spare expenses to assemble a coaching staff. Ferentz makes close to $2 million a year with incentives and bonuses.

Ferentz has been linked to several NFL head coaching searches, including the Packers. He nearly was signed to coach the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2002 but stayed in Iowa City in part because his son, Brian, was an underclassman on the football team. Brian, the Hawkeyes' starting center this season, played his final collegiate game Monday in the Outback Bowl.

As for the senior personnel executive position, the Vikings have not attempted to contact anyone outside the organization other than Heckert. In-house candidates Scott Studwell and Jeff Robinson remain at the top of the list, at least while the coaching search takes place.

Judd Zulgad • [email protected] Mark Craig • [email protected]

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

Re: Top Vikings candidates disappear

Are we still going to interview Rivera? They cannot possibly be considering Cotrell. Everyone here know I am no Tice lover but dang I would take him any day over Cotrell

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

Prophet Guest

I would be seriously depressed if they hired Cotrell as the HC, no doubt about that. Rivera is being courted by the Packers and Rams and I hope the Vikings are taking a look at him.

I sure hope they take a look at Rivera and others. I do not want Cotrell as the head coach as that does nothing to shake things up a bit. I just hope they offer up the money to get a good coach and don't rush things and get some retread...

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I still think Childress would be a solid choice.....But I kinda liked the idea of Rivera coming in for a look..

But I think, he would feel a little bit like a heal if he left the Bears to work for the Vikings.....JMHO

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"Prophet" wrote:
    I would be seriously depressed if they hired Cotrell as the HC, no doubt about that. Rivera is being courted by the Packers and Rams and I hope the Vikings are taking a look at him.

No doubt.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

tke0933 is offline Pro-Bowler

Has anyone heard anything about bringing in Linehan for an interview. If C-Pep is ready for next year, maybe Linehan can get him under control and most of the players will know what to expect. The Dolphins did end the year with 6 straight wins.

Prophet Guest

"tke0933" wrote:
    Has anyone heard anything about bringing in Linehan for an interview. If C-Pep is ready for next year, maybe Linehan can get him under control and most of the players will know what to expect. The Dolphins did end the year with 6 straight wins.
    An article in the Miami Herald talks about Linehan going to talk to the Texans and they also mentioned the possiblility of the Vikings being interested in him. (Click here for article)

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Mike Sherman, lol. Brett Favre loves Sherman, maybe he would follow him to the Vikes for a swan song with a winning team. I doubt whether Daunte would be ready for next season anyway.

Actually Sherman has some pretty gaudy numbers, 59-43 including this years 4-12, which was a seriously talent depleted, injury riddled team.

Alright, let the lambasting begin, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"SKOL" wrote:
    Mike Sherman, lol. Brett Favre loves Sherman, maybe he would follow him to the Vikes for a swan song with a winning team. I doubt whether Daunte would be ready for next season anyway.

Actually Sherman has some pretty gaudy numbers, 59-43 including this years 4-12, which was a seriously talent depleted, injury riddled team.

Alright, let the lambasting begin, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.
    Can't say anything bad at all.

I just wonder about his discipline level. He seems to know offense, he can multi-task and do the play calling and HC duties at the same time.

I am not saying that I want him, just saying that I can't say anything bad.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast