Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Re: Top Viking "Sins" so far

"StillPurple" wrote:
    This is my list of the top things we have done wrong so far this year, in order of importance (top being most critical):

1. Not securing a decent QB in the off-season

Sure, but then we still wouldn't know what we had in TJack.
    We could go back to the days of rotating 35 - 40 year old QBs every 2 or 3 years or give a guy a chance to be a franchise QB for the next 10 - 15 years with a young team.

2. Having the mentality that passing is not the most important thing in the modern NFL (see point 1).
    :

Passing is not the most important thing in the modern NFL, defense is.
    There's only one team in the NFL that's good enough to win with offense alone this year.

3. "Zone blocking" instead of man blocking on the offensive line (i.e. not allowing Hutchinson to do what he does best - just maul guys)

Hmmm... we have the leading rusher in the NFL, the top ranked rushing offense in the NFL... and you're complaining about the blocking schemes???
    Wow... maybe we should ask AD how those holes he's running through are being opened... maybe Purple Jesus is just spreading the seas the way Moses did?

4. Not getting the ball to the obvious playmaker (Adrian Peterson) more. 12 rushes vs. Dallas. 11 rushes vs. Green Bay, etc.

5. Implementing a "too complex" offense, when simplicity was the obvious choice

Were you in the group last year who said Childress' game plans were too obvious?
    Were you in the group criticizing TJacks last game cause all of the passes were "easy"?
    Seems like whatever he's doing on offense is adaptable.
    I haven't heard any players complaining about not getting the offense.

6. Not enough play-action

This we need to do more of, I agree.
    Also, I'd like to see more shotgun formations and AD and Taylor on the field at the same time.
    The Pats lined up like that quite a bit in a game I watched.

7. Allowing corners (Cedric Griffin) to let opposing receivers "skate" by them, and not jamming them on the line (which is critical in the Cover 2 defense).

The Vikings have a bend but don't break defense.
    While they are dead last in the league in passing yards given up, they are middle of the pack in points per game.
    Trying to jam at the line is great but also leads to getting burnt bad when you miss.
    We have very young cornerbacks, they're going to miss at least some times.
    Playing soft prevents those big mistakes and limits them to smaller mistakes.

8. Allowing the QB to panic at the first sign of pressure and leave the pocket (i.e. our most common offensive play by far is the broken play, with Tarvaris running and then throwing an incomplete pass).

Our QB is young and has the ability to make plays with his legs.
    I'd rather see him run for positive yards then try to force it.
    Culpepper and McNabb were both much more effective when they were running QBs.
    I wouldn't mind seeing more designed bootlegs and sneaks for TJack, especially against an ultra aggressive defensive line like the Giants.

The Vikings have made one huge mistake this year, failure to execute.
    If you watch the games they lost (minus the Packers game), they were all winnable by simply executing the plays that were available and attempted.
    Against the Chargers and Raiders they executed on offense.
    The Packers game, hopefully, was an anomaly that will never be seen again.
    I'm positive about this team.
    I like where we're going.
    I think a strong game on Sunday gives us a shot at the playoffs which should give us confident going into next year.
    Frankly, I don't want to make the SB this year, I don't want to be the team embarrassed by the Pats.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    5. Implementing a "too complex" offense, when simplicity was the obvious choice

I like this point...I'm not very knowledgeable about their playbook, but someone (singersp?) said it was huge. It seems to me that if you are trying to bring along an inexperienced QB, then the best thing to do is keep it simple, right? duh...
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Well, yes, and especially when it worked when we did it. If you watched the games we won, we mostly just came out and rammed the ball down their throats. In the Chicago game, for instance, we ran and ran and then did play-action off that. It worked, because the safeties had to come up into the box to defend the run, and hey, even Tarvaris can hit receivers deep when there is no safety back.

On the other hand, when we tried to establish the pass first, and then run off that, it has been horrible, with Tarvaris running all over and broken plays.

I think it is maybe a natural human thing to make things too complex, particularly when you are being paid millions to be "a better coach". Let's face it, if Childress just ran it and then did play action, everyone would say "well, duh, he has AP and anyone can run that offense". He is trying to prove that his concept works, so that we all don't get on here and go "well, Tice could run that offense".

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Well,

if i remember right.. against the chargers we ran it like 5 times in a row and the 6th play was a play action.. that didn't even have the action.. BB just took the snap.. turned around and the run was sold.. This is what i'm expecting from Bchill now.

bulldoze it for 3-5 plays. then ues the playaction. especially with AP in the game it's easier.. but CT is no joke!! if we can open lanes and run.. it'll open up loooots of things for Tjack to get some air time!

As for the simple game plan. i think it's a matter still of the QB-> WR timing.. when their routes are run correctly.. and the timing is on. we'll see lots more 1st downs and it will def help keep the Run going strong.

DiGiTaL

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Not winning
    Yeah - that sums it up nicely.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Who's you're favorite little rascle...Alfalfa or Spanky?
    SINNER!!!
    "Tommy Boy"

What is my price?

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12