Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Top Viking "Sins" so far

This is my list of the top things we have done wrong so far this year, in order of importance (top being most critical):

1. Not securing a decent QB in the off-season
    2. Having the mentality that passing is not the most important thing in the modern NFL (see point 1).
    :
    3. "Zone blocking" instead of man blocking on the offensive line (i.e. not allowing Hutchinson to do what he does best - just maul guys)
    4. Not getting the ball to the obvious playmaker (Adrian Peterson) more. 12 rushes vs. Dallas. 11 rushes vs. Green Bay, etc.
    5. Implementing a "too complex" offense, when simplicity was the obvious choice
    6. Not enough play-action
    7. Allowing corners (Cedric Griffin) to let opposing receivers "skate" by them, and not jamming them on the line (which is critical in the Cover 2 defense).
    8. Allowing the QB to panic at the first sign of pressure and leave the pocket (i.e. our most common offensive play by far is the broken play, with Tarvaris running and then throwing an incomplete pass).

In some ways, our problems mirror those of San Diego: making the offense "too complex by half", not getting the ball into the obvious play-maker's hands right away. I watch the Chargers and I see them not handing off to Tomlinson, and getting all cute with complex schemes. Sometimes, the most obvious, simple way is the best way. If you are going to leave your house, you don't have to shimmy out the window. Sometimes, just walking out the front door is enough. It is the same here. Our coaches I think over-complicate the playbook and don't do the obvious. When we did do the obvious, for instance, against Chicago, it worked.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Top Viking "Sins" so far

I like the title of this thread; very creative!

Thanks. Yes, the Norse Viking gods are mighty offended... ;D

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    This is my list of the top things we have done wrong so far this year, in order of importance (top being most critical):

1. Not securing a decent QB in the off-season
    2. Having the mentality that passing is not the most important thing in the modern NFL (see point 1).
    :
    3. "Zone blocking" instead of man blocking on the offensive line (i.e. not allowing Hutchinson to do what he does best - just maul guys)
    4. Not getting the ball to the obvious playmaker (Adrian Peterson) more. 12 rushes vs. Dallas. 11 rushes vs. Green Bay, etc.
    5. Implementing a "too complex" offense, when simplicity was the obvious choice
    6. Not enough play-action
    7. Allowing corners (Cedric Griffin) to let opposing receivers "skate" by them, and not jamming them on the line (which is critical in the Cover 2 defense).
    8. Allowing the QB to panic at the first sign of pressure and leave the pocket (i.e. our most common offensive play by far is the broken play, with Tarvaris running and then throwing an incomplete pass).

In some ways, our problems mirror those of San Diego: making the offense "too complex by half", not getting the ball into the obvious play-maker's hands right away. I watch the Chargers and I see them not handing off to Tomlinson, and getting all cute with complex schemes. Sometimes, the most obvious, simple way is the best way. If you are going to leave your house, you don't have to shimmy out the window. Sometimes, just walking out the front door is enough. It is the same here. Our coaches I think over-complicate the playbook and don't do the obvious. When we did do the obvious, for instance, against Chicago, it worked.
    I like all of these but I'd rather have McNabb next year so if we get him I will be happy.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Not winning

I forgot to add: receivers don't come back and help the QB when he is running for his life.

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

Who's you're favorite little rascle...Alfalfa or Spanky?
    SINNER!!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Doesn't number 4. contradict number 2.?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Doesn't number 4. contradict number 2.?
    In a way I think it does. Maybe he means running Peterson instead of giving carries to Taylor.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Not winning any of their 4 super bowls and not getting to three of them they could have won had they not lost the NFC championship game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast