Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Top CB tandem in the NFC!

I agree they are the best CB tandem (probably in the NFL)...but I think the real key on defense will be the play of our LB's. They will set the tone for the D. We must have a strong showing from Nap, Cowart (and EJ), and Smith/Thomas. As far as I'm concerned, the LB's are what make a D great.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Man we have come along way from the days of Waseywa Serwanga and 2-8 Tate at CB. I love the CB tandom we have but Philly still has a couple good CBs so I would say that we are pretty even with them in the NFC. But we have come a long way and deserve a top ranking in the NFC.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

i agree, pure coverage is important, but the LB is the heart of the defense. I think it has been a bit neglected in general lately. Perhaps that why the importance of Tight ends receiving is increasing so much
    Vikings from all over the world. Lets unite!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Swamination" wrote:
    Makes sense :roll: .
    What was that for?

Anyway, I'm excited for this tandem. We're gonna have a heck of a secondary, it's nice to bexcited about defense!

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

I think the last time we had a top CB tandem was with Carl Lee and Audrey McMillian over 10 years ago. Athlon and NFL Preview magazines are also both singing the praises of the Vikings secondary. With better coverage and an improved line, our pass rush should be very exciting to watch this year.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

RIPCITYVIKE is offline Waterboy

I still like the Darious thought myself.

zeppelin4534 is offline Rookie

I think we are second in the leabue with the secondary and first in cornerbacks. We have Winfeild, who is just great. Small guy with a huge punch. 1 TD last year i think it was and Smoot is just nasty and fearless. Best duo in the NFC and second in the NFL right behind the Ravens. We have depth at the CB position though. If we sign RW we will be just scary. Him and Irvin and B.WIll are all number 2's and we will have all of them at 3,4, and 5. We'll be able to defend anyone in the NFL. We arent as good as the Ravens in all around secondary given the SAfety position. We are right there though and if Sharper and Chavous can play up to potential, then its just about even. We have a great D. Im so excited.

Burley81 is offline Asst. Coach

"zeppelin4534" wrote:
    I think we are second in the leabue with the secondary and first in cornerbacks. We have Winfeild, who is just great. Small guy with a huge punch. 1 TD last year i think it was and Smoot is just nasty and fearless. Best duo in the NFC and second in the NFL right behind the Ravens. We have depth at the CB position though. If we sign RW we will be just scary. Him and Irvin and B.WIll are all number 2's and we will have all of them at 3,4, and 5. We'll be able to defend anyone in the NFL. We arent as good as the Ravens in all around secondary given the SAfety position. We are right there though and if Sharper and Chavous can play up to potential, then its just about even. We have a great D. Im so excited.
    Good post, everything you said i believe.

If we sign R.W., and trade B-will for Darius, then I think we will top the NFL in secondary. With A-dub and Smoot starting, with R.W. at nickel and Ken Irvin at dime, with Sharper and Darius at safety, Recievers will piss their pants when they come through the middle.

zeppelin4534 is offline Rookie

thanks man, you're right, if we got Darius we would be sick. No one would ever want to pass on the Minnesota Vikings ever. It feels so different to say that. Im really looking forward to the new year. I think every aspect of the Vikes game will be better, including the offense. Look out New England!

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"givemossthetoss" wrote:
    "zeppelin4534" wrote:
    Good post, everything you said i believe.

If we sign R.W., and trade B-will for Darius, then I think we will top the NFL in secondary. With A-dub and Smoot starting, with R.W. at nickel and Ken Irvin at dime, with Sharper and Darius at safety, Recievers will piss their pants when they come through the middle.

I think we should have traded for darious when we actually could have and moved chavous to FS, instead of signing sharper. I am happy with sharper and think he is really gonna play well here, to prove the pack wrong, but I think chavous is better suited as a FS and would be good next to darious. Darious is now happy in jacksonville and del rio said he isn't gonna trade him, so it ain't gonna happen now. I think we will be fine with either chavous or offord back there at SS, with the other guys we have in our secondary.

I also really hope we get RW to sign here. Not to get rid of BW, but as a safety net, in case BW forces us to trade him or cut him, and also as a safety net, in case we have an injury or 3, to our CB's, like we did last year with irvin, winfield, and williams.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast