Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 things

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Top 5 things

"Angel_Martin" wrote:
    Well, I hope you are right and we ARE moving forward, but right now
    you would have a hard time convincing anyone other than someone wearing
    purple and gold sunglasses that our offense is better than any of our offenses
    over the last several years.

This season was a step back for the offense and a step forward for the defense.

NEXT year hopefully will be better. I think if you put even an average QB in there,
    the team will be better. I am not so sold on Jackson because he has not done anything yet, but I think he deserves a shot to see what he can do.

If he still looks like he isn't ready, we will have to address the QB concerns in
    the off-season. If we can pick up a good free agent or draft pick, that will
    help us out a lot!!
    I'm not trying to convince anyone that our offense is better, it is currently, obviously, pathetic.
    But as Childress said, they will focus on strengthening the lines.
    Also, they will get a QB on board in the interim to buy time hoping that the Tarvaris experiment works.
    There's some talk about bringing on Schaub, who is also a risk (one good game) but has been around.

Yes, I too am hopeful for a turnaround.
    Purple shades have nothing to do with it though, the team has lost 5 of 7 games buy less than a TD.
    If the defense continues to improve and the offense even marginally improves the record could turn around quickly.
    It sure as hell doesn't help to lead the league in penalties and turning the ball over all the time.

The way I see it, Childress is building the team rather than putting band-aids on it.
    That is why I am optimistic.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

First of all, the WR drop list arguement bothers me because everyone at the top of that list like TO, Darrell Jackson, and Steve Smith may drop passes but they still produce whereas Troy does not so that is a horrible arguement in support of Troy.
    Secondly, this "we're on the right track" thing bothers me...say what you want about Tice but the past two years he went 8-8 and one a playoff game, last year 9-7 including 6-2 with BJ...this year Childress has taken a more talented team IMO and a weaker schedule and we are 5-7 with BJ at the helm...something doesnt seem right hear, granted the defense is better but this offense is so muddled and it makes no sense because BJ put up points in this offense last year with Tice and you cant convince me that BJ has regressed that much in one year, I believe it is Childress and I dont think he inherited a mess at least not on the field, granted we lacked discipline off the field but apparently we still lack it on the field(most penalized team)...So what Im saying is I believe number 1 problem is Childress, he took a winning team from last year with more talent and an easier schedule and we are worse
    Son, when you participate in sporting events it s not whether you win or lose, it s how drunk you get. -Homer J. Simpson

It s not just about me and my dream of doing nothing; it s about all of us...together!-Peter Gibbons

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    that destroyed our offense...

7. Mike Tice. Although Mike Tice has always been a top gun offensive line coach/guru, he was not good at drafting offensive linesmen. Not having Tice coaching the offensive line means we no longer have the right kind of genius to get mediocre offensive linemen (with exceptions) to play great.

No one could fix this entire mess in one year. Give Childress the benefit of the doubt.

Got to be a beer commercial in there somewhere

Agreed though that one of the best things we could do is sign an offensive line coach that knows what he's doing.
    These guys are definitely underperforming which emphasizes are lack of talent in the skill positions (QB and WR primarily).

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"MarqVikesfaninva" wrote:
    First of all, the WR drop list arguement bothers me because everyone at the top of that list like TO, Darrell Jackson, and Steve Smith may drop passes but they still produce whereas Troy does not so that is a horrible arguement in support of Troy.
    Secondly, this "we're on the right track" thing bothers me...say what you want about Tice but the past two years he went 8-8 and one a playoff game, last year 9-7 including 6-2 with BJ...this year Childress has taken a more talented team IMO and a weaker schedule and we are 5-7 with BJ at the helm...something doesnt seem right hear, granted the defense is better but this offense is so muddled and it makes no sense because BJ put up points in this offense last year with Tice and you cant convince me that BJ has regressed that much in one year, I believe it is Childress and I dont think he inherited a mess at least not on the field, granted we lacked discipline off the field but apparently we still lack it on the field(most penalized team)...So what Im saying is I believe number 1 problem is Childress, he took a winning team from last year with more talent and an easier schedule and we are worse
    Meathead was such a great coach that when six teams were looking for coaches he wasn't even considered.
    Look at his Bio, tell me he was ready to be HC with a straight face.

First year HC, 29+ years coaching professionally, worked his way up the ranks, respected by his colleagues, Vikings were the first team off the block to hire a new HC.
    They got their man.
    To think that you can judge him 3/4 of the way through the first season is craziness.
    Is he good or bad, nobody knows.

Guess what, the team has everything new.
    New offense, defense, specail teams.
    Expect some glitches.
    The team has been blown out once, count it, once this year.
    The WR problems, QB problems, execution problems, o-line problems, etc. are all mendable.
    The team is on the rise.

Don't believe me?
    Oh well.
    I don't believe most of the crap I read on here either.
    We will see what happens.
    The bottom-line is that we are all blowing smoke and talking out of our ass if we think we can deem Childress a good or bad HC 3/4 of the way through his first season.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Del Rio Guest

"MarqVikesfaninva" wrote:
    Childress did what any new coach would do and that is apply new faces and a new scheme to the team. Mike Tice admitedly stated that the Vikings he was running had been using the same playbook for the last 12 years.

There is a huge difference. I'm not impressed he managed an 8-8 with a record breaking QB, or 9-7 using the same offense that has been used for 12 years.

New faces, new philosophy, new everything. This isn't legos, you can't say well he had the same people or better and has a worse record so he must be a worse coach, that is FALLACY.

He may have better players (I do not agree), but even if he does have better players he is not running the same offense, in fact he is running an offense that many people on this team have never participated in until this year. It may be his fault, but I imagine it isn't from lack of skill or effort it is from lack of execution of his players. Which at this point in the season I cannot phathom how he could change it. The best he can hope for is to get some sort of evidence that this offense is improving. So at the end of the season he can choose to go with his offense and hope that the year under his players belts is enough to get them over the hump or if he has to go a completely different direction and start fresh.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Mike Tomlin should be our Head Coach before we loss him, like we lost our offensive coordinator.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    Mike Tomlin should be our Head Coach before we loss him, like we lost our offensive coordinator.
    What has Tomlin done that makes him deserving of a head coaching position? So far he's been a DB coach and a defensive coordinator for 10 games. Marvin Lewis and Romeo Crennell had consistently great defenses for 3 or 4 years before they were considered for jobs.

I'm not saying that Tomlin isn't a good caoch or coordinator, I'm just saying we need more than 10 games to evaluate him.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:
    I can't say Troy was a wasted pick. He has felt the pressure this year. I've seen him make some great catches. I'm gonna stick my neck out on this one and say he's our leading reciever in two years with at least 65catches and 8tds.
    I think I've only ever seen him make one catch that I consider as "great". It was in one of his first games last year when the ball was overthrown and he adjusted and caught the ball falling backwards in mid-air. IMO, the drops vastly outweigh one impressive catch.

He's got some serious work to do before Childress has faith in him and he gets back on the field consistently.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    Plus dropped passes are such an overblown stat!
    Here are the dropped pass leaders and there are some pretty good receivers on that list, would you bench Darrell Jackson because he has dropped 10 or how about Steve Smith who has been a dropper his whole career?
    No.
    You know why?
    Because those guys actually get open and CATCH passes and make plays.

Which Troy Williamson does NOT.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Twill's struggles don't really bother me based on that list and the fact that no receiver in our offense has been playing well. We have a very reliable TE in Wiggins and Brad simply has not found him. Twill is very good at getting open, yet was only thrown to like 4 or 5 times a game. It would be better, both teamwise and businesswise, to keep Twill at least till his contract runs out. I would rather get rid of Robinson or Taylor, sign an FA, and maybe draft a guy as well. That would give us Williamson, Bennett(or any FA), Taylor, B. Johnson, Calvin Johnson (or any rookie), Jason Carter, Billy McMullen. I'm convinced at least 2 of those guys combined with Wiggins will continue once Brad Johnson rides the pine.

This team is on the right track:
    1. TB - Had a good defense for many years, took time to build the offense until they were good enough to make a super bowl run.
    2. Baltimore - has a good defense and it has been that way for almost a decade now.
    won the bowl when an average offense was good enough to get them their.
    3. Carolina - had a good defense for many years, it got them to the superbowl while the offense only had one or two real weapons.
    4. Pittsburgh - Had a good defense for a long time. Won the superbowl when their qb was good enough to hand the ball off and protect the ball.

"Defense wins championships" is not my point. The point is that it is much easier to build a Super Bowl team when you start with the defense. Hopefully for the next few years our D will be good enough to keep us in games while our offense develops. Yes our offense sucks right now. The problems are fixable if given a couple of years. When they are fixed, teh good D will still be around, and we will be super bowl ready. This team is on the right track.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast