Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mamaluke is offline Starter

Too quiet for my taste!!

I don't know, I keep checking the latest daily news on the comings and goings in free agency and other deals.
    I see other teams (mainly the Patriots) making all these moves and bolstering their depleted wide receiver corp but I don't see the Vikings being that aggressive and just kind of sitting back.
    I hope they have some sort of a good plan for what they want to get done, and address the issues which are of the utmost (at least to me ) urgency.
    I saw they signed a new tight end (a backup from the Giants), a an undersized special teams linebacker from the Panthers, and who the heck is this Bobby Wade guy.
    Is this the best they can do? I am starting to get a bit concerned as time passes.
    Why the heck didn't they go after Dante Stallworth? (not that I am too high on him either).
    Anyway I have been a devout fan for 33 years now and I am just frustrated (as usual).
    This is my first post so if anyone has any thoughts please let me know.

Thanks (Go Vikes!!!)

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Too quiet for my taste!!

Welcome, great first post.
    Its quiet, but I think its for the best so far.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

welcome to the site

SKOL!!

Rattz is offline Rookie

Welcome.
    Is there anyone you really want in Free Agency?
    Not me.
    The Patriots are making a desperate attempt for a final run for the Super Bowl.
    That is why they are over-spending for questionable character guys.
    I'm just counting down to the draft...let's see it on the field, forget the speculation of whether they will be good or bad - line 'em up and see how they play.

My hope is for steady improvement in 2007 with the outlook of playoffs and division titles in the near future.

Everyone is so concerned about the wide receivers, and deservedly so, but the QB position is the most important - hopefully TJack can be the guy.

I guess you have a good point, this was not really the deepest free agency pool to fish from.
    I am not too sure about your take on
    the Patriots desperate run to the Super Bowl though, based on their success for the past decade I think there is a method to their madness which has paid off by them being one of the most successful NFL (in the past 10 years) franchises since the league began.
    Maybe I am just over-worrying at this point and I really hope they make the right moves and get some play-makers that can put us over the top.
    I really hope Greenway can be everything we expect and becomes a star! I also hope we can get a decent pass rush from our ends.
    I say if Udeze doesn't get a sack (0 last year) soon we should show him the door as well as Troy Williamson if he can't learn how to catch a football.
    Based on their past draft success rate (Ex.
    Erasmus James, Troy Williamson) I am still crossing my fingers and hoping they can get a squad together that can make a serious run at the title.
    I guess we just have to sit back and see how things unfold.
    Thanks for the welcome to the site.

Welcome!

Your concerns over the slow-motion crawl of free agency are justified.

Let me give you a few thoughts I picked up from comments made by management over the last few months, and in the 2006 pre-season.

The Vikings are going to rebuild the O with younger players who haven't yet reached their potential.
    They will not sign older WRs such as Stallworth, although he has a few good years left to play.
    The Vikings want to sustain a string of years of competitiveness and playoff qualification.
    That requires building a team that is together for 4-5 years and replaced piecemeal as the older vets decline.

The Vikings are also approaching a critical time when the stadium issue returns as the only such issue on the minds of the pols and people of Minnesota as regards sports arenas to be rebuilt or built.
    That means all eyes will be on the Vikings performance on and off the field.
    That means the Code of Conduct will b estressed as greatly as the players' skills when deciding on which free agents and collegiate players to add to the roster.

I hope that helps clarify the reasons why the Vikings aren't pursuing anyone and everyone in free agency and would likely pass on a few players in the draft.

It may also explain why good players such as M Robinson and Wiggins were cut, despite being able to contribute in 2006.
    IOW, the Vikings are building for 2007 AND beyond.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Well we are still waiting on Kevin Curtis to choose a team. If we land him which I do think we are still trying to do since Childress saw him as the best WR that FA has to offer then we would probably be near or at our cap limit.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Near or at cap limit now?
    ??? :P

I thought it was, roughly $27M before signing Wade.

Who knows the correct cap number now?

It can't be as low as $5M plus some for collegiate draftees.
    It must be in the high teens of millions, at least.

:P

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Thanks for that additional info.
    I have faith that they can right the ship and bring some glory back to Minny.
    I do think Wiggins was a good player, but when you see the class and athleticism of the TE's now in the league (EX.
    Davis, Gonzalez) I think it was time for him to go.

I think Chester Taylor is the ticket at RB and I feel Mewelde Moore should be a much more used weapon than he is right now.
    Hopefully Tavares J.
    can step it up and prove he deserves to be the leader of this team.
    Only time will tell.
    Living here in Jersey I try to keep track of the latest news at the Startribune website and Vikings. com but definitely look forward to the insights that my fellow Viking bretheren have to share.
    Thanks all.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Welcome mamaluke.
    Sit back and see how it all unfolds, there will be some excitement coming up to make up for the lulls in the early part of FA.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast