Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Too early for a "must win" game?

I really don't harbor much hope that the Vikings will compete for the playoffs in 2007.

But if the Vikings are to make a playoff run, it will almost certainly be the result of getting off to a fast start.
    The first four games are the "easy" part of the schedule; the four weeks after the bye facing the Bears, Cowboys, Eagles and Chargers in successive weeks will be much tougher.
    A 3-1 or 4-0 start could be the lift that is needed to keep the team's playoff hopes afloat after this tough stretch of games.

The Lions are no doubt an improved team with Calvin Johnson and Shaun McDonald added to the passing attack.
    A reasonably healthy Tatum Bell may not be the equal of Kevin Jones, but he's a big improvement over the second string stiffs the Lions usually paraded out there when Jones went down.
    Jon Kitna threw for over 4200 yards last season.
    However, the defense has likely taken a hit by losing Dre Bly at corner.
    Dewayne White is a player who I think is just coming into his own, witnessed by his performance in the opener against the Raiders.

Still, the Lions are the Lions.
    The Vikings have beaten them 10 straight times.
    The Lions defense is suspect, and the Vikings should be able to duplicate or better their ball control efforts from the Atlanta game.
    Adrian Peterson should go over 200 yards in total offense himself against this team.
    The Lions can and will likely move the ball in the air against the Vikings, and will probably score at least a couple of touchdowns.
    But like Joey Harrington is Joey Harrington, Jon Kitna is Jon Kitna.
    He threw 2 interceptions in the opener against the Raiders.
    Last season, Kitna threw 22 interceptions and lost 9 fumbles (11 fumbles total).
    He will make mistakes against the Vikings defense, and they will make him pay.

I'm not suggesting the Vikings cannot lose to the Lions.
    But if I were the Vikings coaching staff, I would be stressing the importance of winning this game and the next two to start 4-0.
    If this team starts 4-0, I think their confidence will be skyrocketing as they enter the tough stretch and that could give them the extra juice to win some of those games.
    If the team is 2-2 when they travel to Chicago, the attitude might be more like "It's going to be a long day at the office."
    The first four games of the season are very winnable for the Vikings.
    They've taken care of Atlanta, now it's on to the Motor City where any Vikings playoff hopes almost certainly make this a "must win" game.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Too early for a "must win" game?

Yes, it's too early.
    I can see your rationale and I think the first four game are all winnable, but, they are not must win games.

I am more concerned with the young'uns getting playing time in real-life games and learning and growing during this time of the season.
    I don't care if we go into the bye at 1-3.
    I just want to see consistent improvement, especially in the case of TJack.
    If that happens, they should be able to come on strong when it matters, the second half of the season and, hopefully, on into the playoffs.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

But like Joey Harrington is Joey Harrington, Jon Kitna is Jon Kitna.
    He threw 2 interceptions in the opener against the Raiders.
    Last season, Kitna threw 22 interceptions and lost 9 fumbles (11 fumbles total).
    He will make mistakes against the Vikings defense, and they will make him pay.
    Agreed. Stat from ESPN radio: That team that has the better turnover ratio wins 81% of the time.

I would definitely consider this a "must win" game though.
    That might have more to do with the bet I put on it last night though.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    Yes, it's too early.
    I can see your rationale and I think the first four game are all winnable, but, they are not must win games.

I am more concerned with the young'uns getting playing time in real-life games and learning and growing during this time of the season.
    If that happens, they should be able to come on strong when it matters, the second half of the season and, hopefully, on into the playoffs.
    I'm more of the opinion that every game is a "must win".
    IF the goal is to make the playoffs, then the goal should be to have the best playoff position possible.
    That means home-field advantages in as many rounds as you can get.
    If the difference between division title and wild-card is 10-6 vs. 9-7, then ANY game could potentially be the tipping point between hosting a wild-card-round game and having to go to, say, Dallas to play.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Yes, it's too early.

IF the goal is to make the playoffs, then the goal should be to have the best playoff position possible.
    If the difference between division title and wild-card is 10-6 vs. 9-7, then ANY game could potentially be the tipping point between hosting a wild-card-round game and having to go to, say, Dallas to play.

=Z=
    My generic stance is like that.
    Of course, I would love to see them win every game.
    I just would like to see them improve as much as possible throughout the season, especially when the Vikings have such a green QB.
    The pathetic seasons where the Vikings started out strong and then folded during crunch time are still fresh in my memory.
    Strong play throughout the season is my preference, but, if that's not the case have them improve as the season progresses and be ready to roll late in the season.
    It is pathetic to see a team have a goal of making it to the playoffs and seeing them fold in the early rounds.
    Go to win it all, anything less is unacceptable.
    If that means enduring a slow start then I'm all for it.
    I just am thankful every day that we have a coach that has the potential to think when the games come down to a chess match.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Yes, it's too early.

=Z=
    I just would like to see them improve as much as possible throughout the season, especially when the Vikings have such a green QB.
    The pathetic seasons where the Vikings started out strong and then folded during crunch time are still fresh in my memory.
    Strong play throughout the season is my preference, but, if that's not the case have them improve as the season progresses and be ready to roll late in the season.
    It is pathetic to see a team have a goal of making it to the playoffs and seeing them fold in the early rounds.
    I just am thankful every day that we have a coach that has the potential to think when the games come down to a chess match.
    We'll see about that.
    I don't think anyone doubts that there were times when it looked like The Big Chill wasn't adjusting well enough during games last season.
    He's no meathead, but he's got a lot to prove before I crown him the next Bill Walsh.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Yes, it's too early.

=Z=
    We'll see about that.
    I don't think anyone doubts that there were times when it looked like The Big Chill wasn't adjusting well enough during games last season.
    He's no meathead, but he's got a lot to prove before I crown him the next Bill Walsh.

=Z=
    I agree.
    That's why I said potential.
    Meathead proved that he does not have it in him more than once.
    Childress is still an unknown, but, I like the direction the team is heading so far so I'll give him a twinkie for the progress of the team since he took the reigns.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Definitely too early for a "must win".
    Although they should probably have a "must win" attitude going into the game as Zeus is saying.

If you're rationale is we need to win the easier games on the schedule to give us a chance for the playoffs, because we probably won't win against the better teams on the schedule than thet doesn't say much about our chances of being competitive in the playoffs.

I agree with Prophet that what is most important is that if you are in a position to make the playoffs that you want to be playing your best ball at that time to advance.
    I would much rather go into the playoffs winning the last 4 out of 5 games, then starting out winning 4 out of 5 just to fall apart at the end.

Its too early to be talking "must wins", losing to Detroit is not necessarily that big of a setback.
    How they play is more important.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Any division game is a must win IMO.

cyviking is offline Starter Spectromancer: Gamer's Pack Champion

It is kinda early but I agree I feel this is a must win for a few reasons...

1) We need to keep on top of the division and ahead of the Bears who will likely win this week (they play KC)
    2) Its a division rival that is also 1-0
    3) I would consider it a game we should win and with the difficult schedule we have starting in a couple weeks; we need as many W's buffering our record as we can to weather the midseason storm I fear.
    4) Its the Lions we have a 10+? game winning streak against them, gotta keep them in the cellar

SKOL
    "Lurker" turned Poster
    2005-06 The Lost Vikings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast