Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: tonight proves DE is viking most obvious need

"tgorsegner" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    kevoncox where do you think they got umenyora and tuck?? great scouting..you cant expect us to get a strahan, but after drafting 2 DEs in the first round in the past 5 years, having one of them sit out completely useless, and the other be too slow and immobile for DE, is terrible

and as far as peppers goes, he may be available..either him or steve smith will be on their way out of carolina
    Tuck = 3rd round pick (If everyone knew he would turn out to be a monster, I assume he would have gone in the first round)
    Osi = 2nd rounder ( see above)

You can't always project talent, if so Brady ould have been a # 1( I hate Brady)
    However, it seems to be that the Draft camp is doing a solid job recently. How ever an additional DE in this camp will be crazy. Robinson wouldn't play and neither would edwards. Do we just waste their talants?

Are you trying to say that minnesota should not attempt to upgrade just because you want the inferior players t oget playing time? if an additional DE is added and he is better that Robison and Edwards, he deserves more playing time, If they are better
    they deserve it. Either way it enhances competition for the job and means a better overall product.
    If tuck was burried behind another end...Would he have grown as a player? Sometimes on the field play makes a player better.( Ironic as I want Tjack off the field. I know I'm a hypocrite

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

simply having a certain number of players at one position doesnt mean were deep at it..depth is measured in quality..we have some guys at DE that are good change of pace backups right now, but that leaves us thin in terms of quality pass-rushing..add an elite guy in there and weve got some depth
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

"olson_10" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    kevoncox where do you think they got umenyora and tuck?? great scouting..you cant expect us to get a strahan, but after drafting 2 DEs in the first round in the past 5 years, having one of them sit out completely useless, and the other be too slow and immobile for DE, is terrible

and as far as peppers goes, he may be available..either him or steve smith will be on their way out of carolina
    Tuck = 3rd round pick (If everyone knew he would turn out to be a monster, I assume he would have gone in the first round)
    Osi = 2nd rounder ( see above)

You can't always project talent, if so Brady ould have been a # 1( I hate Brady)
    However, it seems to be that the Draft camp is doing a solid job recently. How ever an additional DE in this camp will be crazy. Robinson wouldn't play and neither would edwards. Do we just waste their talants?
    robison and edwards are change of pace backup type of guys, not everydown players..and yes, the giants scouting staff does receive credit for knowing the impact these guys would have

as for tom brady, ive looked this up numerous times before, go and look at his college numbers, and i promise, you will be absolutely floored at the fact this guy went so late..he shouldve been a 1st or 2nd rounder based on how good he was in college..any team that doesnt have a qb right now should be ashamed of themselves for not picking brady that year
    20 and 6, won't get you drafted very high. Sorry. He wasn't even the best Qb on his team that year.

"olson_10" wrote:
    simply having a certain number of players at one position doesnt mean were deep at it..depth is measured in quality..we have some guys at DE that are good change of pace backups right now, but that leaves us thin in terms of quality pass-rushing..add an elite guy in there and weve got some depth
    Look, I'm not arguing that a stud DE won't be a Nice addition. However, so would a stud QB, stud RT, and Stud Wr. I just think the guys we have are servicable....

We still don't know what we have out of Robinson and James. Everyone has given up on this guy but In reality this was his 3rd year. As a rook he had 4 or 5 sacks and showed promise. His other seasons were cut short. I would love to sign Suggs but his contract will be out of this world. I would love to have Allen but.... by the time our young players are in playing form, he will be out of his prime and getting older. Hence why we need to get better play from the QB, ahead of anything. Our run game is getting killed due to bad qb play. Our defense was a Superbowl quality defense when it wasn't being handicapped by our offensive ineptitude.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Wow!!
    What a great game!
    Even with all the star playmakers on both sides, what this game really came down to was the Pats' tough, talented Offensive Line vs. the Giants' extremely impressive pass rush.
    And the pass rush wins!!

Sure, we could certainly benefit from some high level talent at DE to go with our Williams.
    But, that guy is hard to find, and extremely expensive to sign off the street.
    We may have more important needs given our youth at the position and the fact we really have no idea what James can be yet.
    He has only started 12 games in 3 years, and missed most of two of those years with a bad injury and bad luck on the recovery.
    Maybe, this latest operation fixes the knee, and half way into next year, he is better than he has ever been...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    Look, I'm not arguing that a stud DE won't be a Nice addition. However, so would a stud QB, stud RT, and Stud Wr. I just think the guys we have are servicable....

We still don't know what we have out of Robinson and James. Everyone has given up on this guy but In reality this was his 3rd year. As a rook he had 4 or 5 sacks and showed promise. His other seasons were cut short. I would love to sign Suggs but his contract will be out of this world. I would love to have Allen but.... by the time our young players are in playing form, he will be out of his prime and getting older. Hence why we need to get better play from the QB, ahead of anything. Our run game is getting killed due to bad qb play. Our defense was a Superbowl quality defense when it wasn't being handicapped by our offensive ineptitude.
    We have "serviceable" guys in all those positions. Hell, I think TWill is the only un-serviceable one.

And when our younger guys are in playing form, then won't we be set with those players, and having an older guy for 3rd downs may be fine for an aging veteran

I will agree with the QB, and I love TJ, but you could apply the same logic you had for Robison, about improvement and his playing time thus far that you could for TJ. So.... I see a double standard
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

"Braddock" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:

We have "serviceable" guys in all those positions. Hell, I think TWill is the only un-serviceable one.

And when our younger guys are in playing form, then won't we be set with those players, and having an older guy for 3rd downs may be fine for an aging veteran

I will agree with the QB, and I love TJ, but you could apply the same logic you had for Robison, about improvement and his playing time thus far that you could for TJ. So.... I see a double standard
    Yes it is a double standard. However, our offense is being bottled up because we don't have a Qb that can defeat what defenses are throwing at him. People seem fine with what Tjack did this year, however they forget that he was basically given 1 on 1 coverage and dared to throw the ball for most of the year. What happens when teams are actually game planning for him? Next year, I see us possible losing a lot of game early due to how he played last year. Defenses will continue to do the same things they did if he is be hind QB and it will take atleast 6 weeks of amazing plays by him to get defensive coachs to call the dogs off.

This is totally different than a DE that can be hidden or rotated in on situations that play to their strenghts.
    I don't wan tto pay 4 mil a year for a old 3rd down pass rusher( we let Lance Johnstone go
    :-[ ). I think QB play is biggest improvement we can make, after that it's DE. Look like the Ravens will make a playa t Mcnabb. Can't we bring in Pennington? We plays great when he has a line.

I'm all for upgrading DE through FREE AGENCY and not the draft, we have enough young bucks at DE.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:

Yes it is a double standard. However, our offense is being bottled up because we don't have a Qb that can defeat what defenses are throwing at him. People seem fine with what Tjack did this year, however they forget that he was basically given 1 on 1 coverage and dared to throw the ball for most of the year. What happens when teams are actually game planning for him? Next year, I see us possible losing a lot of game early due to how he played last year. Defenses will continue to do the same things they did if he is be hind QB and it will take atleast 6 weeks of amazing plays by him to get defensive coachs to call the dogs off.

This is totally different than a DE that can be hidden or rotated in on situations that play to their strenghts.
    I don't wan tto pay 4 mil a year for a old 3rd down pass rusher( we let Lance Johnstone go
    :-[ ). I think QB play is biggest improvement we can make, after that it's DE. Look like the Ravens will make a playa t Mcnabb. Can't we bring in Pennington? We plays great when he has a line.
    we need to upgrade at other positions too, and im actually all for chad pennington, but i think the most important thing for this team is the balance the defense..the ravens and bucs won superbowls by having balanced defenses that were elite in terms of stopping the run and pass..if we could balance the defense to stop the pass as well as the run, thatd be it..add a good QB and WR to that mix, and this is a championship contending team..we need a great DE added to this roster, and just a sercivable qb
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

"olson_10" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:

we need to upgrade at other positions too, and im actually all for chad pennington, but i think the most important thing for this team is the balance the defense..the ravens and bucs won superbowls by having balanced defenses that were elite in terms of stopping the run and pass..if we could balance the defense to stop the pass as well as the run, thatd be it..add a good QB and WR to that mix, and this is a championship contending team..we need a great DE added to this roster, and just a sercivable qb
    Ageed. However, if the team could only add 1 of those two, I would chose a serviceable Qb.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast