Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tommy Kramer

PurpleMafia is offline Coordinator

Tommy Kramer

All I know about him is that he was a starting QB for the Vikes in the 80's ( a little before my time) My dad has a game used helmet of his thats been sittin in my room as long as I can remember.

Was he anything special?

Bum,Bust,Veteran,ProBowl? HOF? etc,..?

Anything useful that you could tell me would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave
    Retired 12/21/08

runtheball is offline Training Camp

Re: Tommy Kramer

he was pretty excitng to watch , he was known for mounting comebacks and running a very good two minute offense. one of his nicknames was "Two Minute Tommy" I remember watching a game in soldier field all dressed in my Viking gear and first half bears are up big and bear fans are abusing the hell out of me, 3rd quarter Kramer starts bringing em back and the bear fans get quiet . Kramer wins the game on a late 4th quarter drive and the Bear fans are crying in their beer. I laughed at em all the way to the car. Kramer was always a favorite of mine. Can you imagine it actually having a quarterback who could mount a comeback and win from behind ?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Tommy was a roller coaster, and he was good at chugging beer!

I was younger, but I really liked him and wished to be him when I got older. I did, just not the QB part!

Prophet Guest

He had a good stint in MN, until his coke days brought him down hard.

zzbudzz is offline Rookie

coca-cola?
    who picked the colors of piss and puke for thier team colors?.....ok i ll give ya one guess

VK Rod is offline Waterboy

I was a huge Tommy Kramer fan. Favorite moment was against the Browns when he threw a hail mary with seconds left and Rashad caught it and tip toed back into the end zone.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

"runtheball" wrote:
    he was pretty excitng to watch , he was known for mounting comebacks and running a very good two minute offense. one of his nicknames was "Two Minute Tommy" I remember watching a game in soldier field all dressed in my Viking gear and first half bears are up big and bear fans are abusing the hell out of me, 3rd quarter Kramer starts bringing em back and the bear fans get quiet . Kramer wins the game on a late 4th quarter drive and the Bear fans are crying in their beer. I laughed at em all the way to the car. Kramer was always a favorite of mine. Can you imagine it actually having a quarterback who could mount a comeback and win from behind ?
    that's what i was thinking when i read this. i said wow a QB that didn't have to always play with the lead. i haven't seen that in a Vikes QB, granted i only really started watching espn probaly in the mid 90s to any information about the vikes. i believe Johnson had just started. and i've only been able to really see games since 97 that's when i got Directv. it would remarkable to see a QB bring us back from the dead during halftime :sad:

Thanks Josdin

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Tommy did an interview about 8:30AM with a radio station from Chicago back in the mid 1980's the Friday before the Vikes were supposed to play the Bears on that Sunday. Tommy gets on the radio show, and he was drunk off his ass. Slurring his words, not keeping a train of thought, it was hilarious!

Also a good friend of mine was in a bar up in St. Cloud (she is a very good looking girl), and she was about 22 or 23 at the time, and Tommy has a guy come up to her and tell her that he would like her to join him. She told the guy, "no thanks". Tommy comes up to her and said "don't you know who I am". She said yes I do, and no I am not interested in joining you. He just got pissed, and called her a bitch and a dyke.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Tommy Kramer...my childhood hero.

Some info:

He was selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the first round of the 1977 National Football League college draft.

Kramer became the starting quarterback for the Vikings before the 1979 season after Fran Tarkenton had retired. He earned the nickname "Two Minute Tommy" for many late game come-from-behind victories.

While Kramer did have some off the field problems (he was arrested several times for drunken driving and had sought treatment for alcohol abuse), he also suffered on the field injuries, resulting in missing many games for the team during the mid 1980s.

Kramer was selected to the Pro Bowl following the 1986 season. And before Culpepper entered the picture, Tommy set many Vikings records and was the second-most productive passer in Minnesota Viking's history; behind only Fran Tarkenton.

In his 12-year professional career, Kramer passed for 24,775 yards and 159 touchdowns. He passed for more than 3,000 yards in five seasons, a Vikings record. He also set the Vikings single game passing record with 490 yards.

Aahhh...the memories.
    Even babies know the difference.

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

Tommy always played better when he was drinking. When he took the "cure" he played like crap.

Still one of my favs though
    I.B.O.T. #213

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast