Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Tomlin might be given interview for Falcons job

Childress has already said he won't stand in Tomlins way for interviews. I just hope that's not an indication that they'll let him walk out just that easily.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Posted on Sat, Jan. 06, 2007

[size=13pt]Tomlin might be moving up[/size]

Vikings defensive coordinator to interview for head coach jobs

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

"He's light-years ahead of his age," said John Wooten, the chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which was formed in 2003, a year after the NFL implemented the "Rooney Rule," which requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate before selecting a head coach. "He knows how to handle players of all kinds, in terms of attitude and abilities. He has a great presence about him. He's totally, totally prepared."

To many people simply are saying, "Don't worry, it won't happen, he's only satisfying the Rooney Rule" or "Don't worry, it won't happen, he's only been an DC for a year."

Too many people are overlooking the facts that Wooten has pointed out, except IMO, those teams that are interviewing him.

I think it's being taken to lightly. To lightly perhaps, that he may just get easily coaxed away with a HC offer & the Vikings organization won't know what hit them if it happens.

So don't stand there with your mouth agape & shocked if it happens & say "But... but...but... I only thought he was being interviewed to satisy the Rooney Rule or I can't believe they signed him after only being an defensive coordinator for 1 year."

Look at what the man has done in his short coaching career & what his potential is.

Then try & convince me that he is merely being sought after to suffice the Roney rule & not to worry. Coaches like Tomlin don't come around every year.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

"He's light-years ahead of his age," said John Wooten, the chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which was formed in 2003, a year after the NFL implemented the "Rooney Rule," which requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate before selecting a head coach. "He knows how to handle players of all kinds, in terms of attitude and abilities. He has a great presence about him. He's totally, totally prepared."

To many people simply are saying, "Don't worry, it won't happen, he's only satisfying the Rooney Rule" or "Don't worry, it won't happen, he's only been an DC for a year."

Too many people are overlooking the facts that Wooten has pointed out, except IMO, those teams that are interviewing him.

I think it's being taken to lightly. To lightly perhaps, that he may just get easily coaxed away with a HC offer & the Vikings organization won't know what hit them if it happens.

So don't stand there with your mouth agape & shocked if it happens & say "But... but...but... I only thought he was being interviewed to satisy the Rooney Rule or I can't believe they signed him after only being an defensive coordinator for 1 year."

Look at what the man has done in his short coaching career & what his potential is.

Then try & convince me that he is merely being sought after to suffice the Roney rule & not to worry. Coaches like Tomlin don't come around every year.
    I have probably said both of those things. And most importantly I think there are a couple of candidates that could just be that inch ahead of him for a HC job.

But guys that are interviewed certainly has a chance of getting the job. And there is no doubt in my mind that Tomlin would be a good HC. I just hope that the other teams don't realise it yet.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

"cogitans" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

I have probably said both of those things. And most importantly I think there are a couple of candidates that could just be that inch ahead of him for a HC job.

But guys that are interviewed certainly has a chance of getting the job. And there is no doubt in my mind that Tomlin would be a good HC. I just hope that the other teams don't realise it yet.
    Oh, I'm sure they realize it. If it was simply a Rooney Rule action, they could simply interview Denny Green to suffice that. They wouldn't need to go thru the trouble of seeking permission from a team first to interview him.

The fact that they are going thru the extra effort, tells me they are seriously taking a look at Tomlin as a candidate for head coach.

Jeremy is offline Starter

This is not just to meet the Rooney Rule. Ron Rivera is interviewing for them this weekend and he quilifies as a minority.
    It won't be long before Tomlin is a head coach in the NFL. Hopefully he'll replace Childress in another year.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

It would appear to me that Tomlin would probably need another year or two as a coordinator before any teams strongly consider him.

I mean, we had a secondary that included Winfield, Sharper, Smoot, Griffin, and still couldn't stop the pass.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Who cares if a head coach is black, white, pink, orange, blue, green...ext.. The only thing that matters is if he can hande the stress and do the job he was hired for.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Tomlin is here in Minny for another year ... the first go around with interviews for H.C. spots never really goes well.
    BUT, and this is a BIG BUT ... next year, Wilfi will have a tough decision to make ...

Whether to stand behind Childress or show him the door and let Tomlin walk in... time will tell.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Oh, I'm sure they realize it. If it was simply a Rooney Rule action, they could simply interview Denny Green to suffice that. They wouldn't need to go thru the trouble of seeking permission from a team first to interview him.

The fact that they are going thru the extra effort, tells me they are seriously taking a look at Tomlin as a candidate for head coach.
    I think he has a legitimate shot. But I'll still only give him, say, 35-40% chance of making it this year.

Notice how smothly I pulled that percentage out of my ass

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

whiteviking24 is offline Pro-Bowler

This is bad news if he leaves as defense cord. our defense this past year was the only thing great about our team.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast