COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Tomlin helps lure Smith to secondary

[size=18px]Tomlin helps lure Smith to secondary[/size]
    BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press
    http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15121883.htm

Score one for Mike Tomlin.

The Vikings' first-year defensive coordinator got his man Tuesday as free-agent safety Dwight Smith agreed to terms on a three-year, $6.5 million contract that will reunite him with his former defensive backs coach from Tampa Bay.

Smith, who is expected to compete with Tank Williams for the starting safety spot opposite Pro Bowl free safety Darren Sharper, chose the Vikings' three-year package over a one-year offer from the Buccaneers and an offer from Baltimore.

The six-year veteran, who was released last week by New Orleans, is expected to double as nickel back for the Vikings, who reached agreement on a contract at the end of Smith's two-day visit to Winter Park.

Smith, who lives in Tampa, Fla., boarded a plane for home after negotiations concluded but told the St. Petersburg Times that Tomlin figured prominently in his decision.

"It just felt like a good fit," Smith said. "The chance to be with Mike again and everything; it just felt right. Now I've just got to get in there and earn some playing time. It's a pretty good secondary, and I think we have a chance to be a pretty good defense. I'm ready to get started."

Smith, 27, played his first four NFL seasons in Tampa Bay before signing a five-year, $15 million contract with New Orleans before the 2005 season.

The Saints released him last week after they were unable to work out a trade.

Smith didn't receive a signing bonus as part of his Vikings deal, but he will earn the same $1.2 million he was scheduled to make in New Orleans this season in the form of a $615,000 roster bonus and $585,000 base salary.

Whether he will line up at strong safety or free safety, with Sharper possibly changing positions, is uncertain, but the Vikings celebrated the signing as an upgrade for their secondary.

"There's no such thing as having too many good players," coach Brad Childress said in a team release. "We're glad to add a player of Dwight's quality to the defense."

Smith, a Tampa Bay teammate of Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson, set a Super Bowl record by returning two interceptions for touchdowns in the Buccaneers' 48-21 victory over Oakland in Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003.

The former third-round draft choice has appeared in 78 games with 49 starts and 14 interceptions in his career.

He is expected to report to training camp in Mankato with the rest of the veterans Sunday evening.

Two to go: With rookies and selected veterans scheduled to report to training camp Thursday, first-round linebacker Chad Greenway and second-round quarterback Tarvaris Jackson remain the Vikings' only unsigned draft choices.

Greenway's agent, Marvin Demoff, did not respond to a phone call or e-mail.

Jackson's agent, Joel Segal, would not characterize the status of negotiations with the Vikings or estimate the chances of his client reporting on time.

"We're just having conversations on Jackson," Segal said. "One day at a time; that's all I'll say."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Tomlin helps lure Smith to secondary

2 best parts of the article:

"There's no such thing as having too many good players," coach Brad Childress said in a team release. "We're glad to add a player of Dwight's quality to the defense."
    couldnt have said it better myself

and this:

Smith, a Tampa Bay teammate of Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson, set a Super Bowl record by returning two interceptions for touchdowns in the Buccaneers' 48-21 victory over Oakland in Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003.
    i LOVED watching that, glad that he is both familiar with johnson & tomlin, but he's an experienced enough when it comes to playing under pressure

very glad to have him on our roster

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Tanner_QBRB8 is offline Pro-Bowler

Good job Tomlin

WHOO HOO!!!

ANOTHER GREAT PLAYA!! :lol:

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

This a a GREAT pickup, loved this signing since i saw it. Smith should do great in our secondary and i hope he starts over Tank.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    2 best parts of the article:

couldnt have said it better myself

and this:

i LOVED watching that, glad that he is both familiar with johnson & tomlin, but he's an experienced enough when it comes to playing under pressure

very glad to have him on our roster
    Why does a safety being familiar with HIS QB make any difference? I'm pumped for this year, hard.....REAL hard.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

"There's no such thing as having too many good players," coach Brad Childress
    Now this is the best thing i've heard from the trenches of Mn.. i can't wait to see what happens in mini camp with all this talent competing for positions and play time.. it'll bring out the best in each i hope.. my only concern is a few players getting rubbed the wrong way because they arn't playing..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall