Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50
  1. #41
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Tomlin Compensation??

    "Prophet" wrote:
    You obviously don't understand that every roster move has the possibility of making or destroying the team.
    Perfect example:
    McMuffin/Basket dibacle

  2. #42
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Tomlin Compensation??

    Wow is this thread off base!

    First, I don't think the Vikings get anything in terms of compensation.
    I have always been under the impression that a team will release someone on the coaching staff out of their contract if they are offered a promotion somewhere else.
    I could be wrong though...

    Second, Tomlin was a good defensive coordinator.
    He deserves credit for the number 1 ranked rushing defense, and he also deserved blame for the number 32 ranked pass defense.
    Overall though, our defense preformed much better in 2006 than in 2005, or the 2004 and 2003 for that matter, and I think a lot of that has to do with him.


    He was definately a young coordinator, and had a long way to go before he was ready for a head coaching job IMHO, but that is neither here or now.
    He is the Steelers head coach, and good for him.

    But am I going to jump out the window because Tomlin is gone?
    No.
    A lot of what Tomlin brought with him to Minnesota was a new scheme and new attitude for defense.
    Childress brought him specifically because he was from the Tampa 2 school, and I expect Childress to do the same with the new DC.
    I expect our defense to continue to improve as they continue on with the Cover 2 scheme.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #43
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Tomlin Compensation??

    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Wow, talk about a thread way off course... We are supposed to be talking about what if anything we will recieve from the Steelers' as compensation for letting Mike Tomlin take their HC vacancy..

    This instead has turned into how our run defense is going to be, how we can be ranked # 8 in total defense with a #1 against the run, and last against the pass.. How many points teams put up against us, how many yards they had..

    We should be talking about if we are going to get any draft picks for letting Mike Tomlin go to Pittsburgh.. Or whatever it is that the Vikings will get, if that is anything..

    Keep on the topic people.. That other talk should be in a different thread.. ;D
    The question was answered in the first 2 pages we don't get shit. He is free to quit his job and get a new one.

    Threads evolve during the course of conversation. There is nothing wrong with this discussion.

  4. #44
    Christie's Avatar
    Christie is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    296

    Re: Tomlin Compensation??

    He didn't get offered as much as the HC to stay but for what he got offered I would leave too. Maybe him and Childress didn't get along after all!

  5. #45
    petrodemos's Avatar
    petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    664

    Re: Tomlin Compensation??

    "Del" wrote:
    "petrodemos" wrote:
    Who cares about the pass defense when your only allowing 9 points here, 13 there. there were only 2 real blowouts, the patriots and the rams game, maybe 1 or 2 games we didnt have a chance. but other than those games the defense kept the vikings in 12 of the games they should never have been in with such an anemic offense. no QB passed over 300yds in any of the games. if with the 32nd passing defense you end up with 8th overall, should tell us they might even be better than we all think they were. how long has it been since the vikings defense was in the top 10?

    i think some are fooling themselves and maybe are trying to justify tomlin being gone is a good thing, which by all means it is not. and thats not directed towards those only on this board. i hear it here as well from viking fans, "oh well, our pass defense sucked". the only thing that will make me feel better is if next year were just as good, maybe a little better in the pass. and that i believe will mean the run defense will suffer some.
    I don't buy it but preach on brother.

    And there were many QB's flirting with 300, not that it means anything to hit 300 when your team is still putting up 24+ points and you are converting thrid downs.

    Passing defense was exposed early. In fact you could see the struggles even before the Patriots game and nothing was done to fix it.

    Oh and Chad Penningtone threw for 339 yards on us.
    your right about Pennington, in fact brady threw for 370 something, i meant to say the vikings QBs,
    Johnson and Jackson, neither one of them threw for over 300 yds, a lousy fact now that i think about it.

    i was just trying to point out that our defense was not getting a lot of help from the offense. and i think everyone can agree on that.

    usually a team thats last in pass defense gives up a a lot more points.

    the fact that twice in which the defense only gave up 9 points and lost, even with the worst pass defense says a lot about the defense overall. if you could wish for a defense to only give up 9 points but had to give up a ranking in a certain area, i would take that. yes it could have improved, wr's were wide open, but not a lot of points were scored, and ultimately thats all that matters.

  6. #46
    PackSux!'s Avatar
    PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,562

    Re: Tomlin Compensation??

    I would assume that the vikings will have the same tampa 2 defense again next year with whomever we get as Defensive Coordinator.
    The only changes i would make to the defense is moving Sharper back to free safety where he belongs and having Blue at strong safety.
    Keep the linebackers together and let Greenway beat one of them out of their job this year, and draft a defensive end to go along with Erasmus James.


    Can you imagine how good our defensive would of been this year if we would of had any kind of pass rush?
    I dont see anything changing but only getting better.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    65

    Re: Tomlin Compensation??

    "PackSux!" wrote:
    draft a defensive end to go along with Erasmus James.


    Can you imagine how good our defensive would of been this year if we would of had any kind of pass rush?

    everyone is complaining about udeze's output this year....yes i know its horrible to not have a single sack...but james, who was our primary pass rusher got injured early, and udeze was getting double teamed all year.
    i say use a majority of our draft choices on shoring up the offence, and maybe a corner, and maybe a saftey cause sharpers getting old...

    sorry for the off topic post but that one topic gets to me lol
    ~~I'm but one Vikings fan in a sea of Frudge Packers!!!~~

  8. #48
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    16,005

    Re: Tomlin Compensation??

    "singersp" wrote:
    "PurpleGator" wrote:
    Probably the 7th round....

    Tomlin isn't that good....
    Tomlin is 34, and his team went 6-10. Why would the Steelers be this interested? For the same reason the Vikings would miss him: Even in a dysfunctional organization, Tomlin commanded the respect and attention of everyone he encountered.

    Those who know Tomlin best didn't rule him out as a head coaching candidate because they knew, given the opportunity to interview, he would impress prospective employers
    .


    http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/16508996.htm




    If that doesn't say first round draft pick as compensation, then I don't know what does!!

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

  9. #49
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,535

    Re: Tomlin Compensation??

    "PurpleCanuck" wrote:
    "PackSux!" wrote:
    draft a defensive end to go along with Erasmus James.


    Can you imagine how good our defensive would of been this year if we would of had any kind of pass rush?

    everyone is complaining about udeze's output this year....yes i know its horrible to not have a single sack...but james, who was our primary pass rusher got injured early, and udeze was getting double teamed all year.
    i say use a majority of our draft choices on shoring up the offence, and maybe a corner, and maybe a saftey cause sharpers getting old...

    sorry for the off topic post but that one topic gets to me lol
    Sorry Purple Canuck I can't agree with that he wasn't being doubled team because most teams were double teaming the Williams brothers and Kenechi just wasn't doing a good job his first move isn't good and he has lost speed after his knee injury.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    65

    Re: Tomlin Compensation??

    i'll create a topic on this so this thread doesn't get to off track
    ~~I'm but one Vikings fan in a sea of Frudge Packers!!!~~

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. Compensation For the Vikings Could Be On The Way
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 11:22 AM
  2. No compensation picks granted implies success in free agency
    By Purplexing in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 05:07 PM
  3. Without Tomlin
    By CT29 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 05:45 PM
  4. Tell me about Tomlin
    By FinNasty23 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-16-2007, 08:14 AM
  5. Vikings: No Compensation Coming Home
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 10:26 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •