Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Tomlin Compensation??

"PurpleGator" wrote:

We will wait and see.
    I know he won't be that good.
    Pitt. will strike out with a coach one of these days.
    They have had too much good luck.
    The odds are against him.
    If he is good, I will apologize for my comment if he isn't I will wait for you to do the same. There are many things going against him.... Age, experience, and the curse of the bambino..... : Well age and experience are against him.

But the one thing he does have going is that Pitt gives their coaches time to grow into the job as they did with Knoll and Cowher so even if it takes him a few years eventually he will be a good head coach in the NFL.

Chuck Knoll
    37 years old
    (23 seasons as head coach)

Bill Cowher
    34 years old
    (15 seasons as head coach)

Viking have had 6 different head coaches in that time, and Bud Grant twice.

In that time Detroit has had 13 different head coaches.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

davike is offline Team Alumni

"PurpleGator" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "PurpleGator" wrote:
    By the way what is up with the Tomlin man crush.
    He was only here not even a year!

Its not like he part the Red Sea or walked on water.
    he didn't walk on water or part the red sea, but he turned a defense that had not been ranked and better then 21st in the league in like forever, and turned it into a #8 defense in his first year as DC. in foot ball that means something.
    It wasn't that great.
    It was an improvement but we can't say the world is going to end because he left.
    an improvement? what would it take to impress you? he just took a under average defense and made #8 in the league. it won't be the end of the world, but it really sucks that we have to go through this process again. we find out tomlin is a great coach and we lose him, now we have to go through the whole thing again and find another good DC and test him out again.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Del Rio Guest

"davike" wrote:
    "PurpleGator" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "PurpleGator" wrote:

he didn't walk on water or part the red sea, but he turned a defense that had not been ranked and better then 21st in the league in like forever, and turned it into a #8 defense in his first year as DC. in foot ball that means something.
    It wasn't that great.
    It was an improvement but we can't say the world is going to end because he left.
    an improvement? what would it take to impress you? he just took a under average defense and made #8 in the league. it won't be the end of the world, but it really sucks that we have to go through this process again. we find out tomlin is a great coach and we lose him, now we have to go through the whole thing again and find another good DC and test him out again.
    For as much credit as you give Tomlin for getting our ranking from 21 to 8 do you also blame him for giving us the worst pass defense in the NFL?

Ranked #32 out of 32 in the entire NFL. Even Ted Cottrell couldn't manage that one.

See total defensive ranking is given by yards per game, our run defense was so dominant they had to pass. So is it worth bragging about having the #1 rush defense and the #32 passing defense and do you really deserve #8 overall......I don't think so myself.

It is kind of a mystery how you could even manage the #1 rush defense and the #32nd pass defense and somehow come out with an 8 Overall.

"Del" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "PurpleGator" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "PurpleGator" wrote:

It wasn't that great.
    For as much credit as you give Tomlin for getting our ranking from 21 to 8 do you also blame him for giving us the worst pass defense in the NFL?

Ranked #32 out of 32 in the entire NFL. Even Ted Cottrell couldn't manage that one.

See total defensive ranking is given by yards per game, our run defense was so dominant they had to pass. So is it worth bragging about having the #1 rush defense and the #32 passing defense and do you really deserve #8 overall......I don't think so myself.

It is kind of a mystery how you could even manage the #1 rush defense and the #32nd pass defense and somehow come out with an 8 Overall.
    thats true, but i think that would have come with experience. it was his
    first year. we were also the team that was passed on the most. he was and still is a fairly inexperienced coach, he made some changes and we got somethings working our way, i think he would have made some more changes this season and we would have had a better pass offense this year. im not full of man love for tomlin, i just think that we should give credit where credit is due. he seemed to have a way to make players want to play to their ultimate for him. i think he will turn out to be a terrific coach.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "PurpleGator" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "PurpleGator" wrote:

It wasn't that great.

If it is based on total yards, then we must have played team that had sucky offensive performances or of lesser talent to come out in the 8th spot.
    You would think we should have been around 16.

OR

There are just naturally more passing yards in a football game per rushing yards in a football game.

???

Del Rio Guest

"davike" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "PurpleGator" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    [quote author=PurpleGator link=topic=30848.msg527087#msg527087 date=1169514391]

It wasn't that great.

first year. we were also the team that was passed on the most. he was and still is a fairly inexperienced coach, he made some changes and we got somethings working our way, i think he would have made some more changes this season and we would have had a better pass offense this year. im not full of man love for tomlin, i just think that we should give credit where credit is due. he seemed to have a way to make players want to play to their ultimate for him. i think he will turn out to be a terrific coach.
    [/quote]

He may turn out to be a terrific coach and he is inheriting a pretty solid core of players so I imagine it couldn't be much more of a better opportunity for him.

I agree about giving credit, I also agree on holding people accountable. Yes he was the most passed on, he was also the least ran on. So sure the numbers can stack up in the passing yards due to over exposure, but the very same principle holds true for the run. Less runs = less running yards. I would give our defense a C for a grade myself, and he may have come back this year and turned it around who knows.

One thing is for sure everyone does not seem surprised, he seems to be a natural leader and a presence and IMO that is something a head coach should be.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Maybe Karl Dunbar deserves more of the credit for our #1 run defense...we may still have gotten to keep the REAL reason as to why our defense was improved.

Bye Tomlin...good luck to you...onward and upward...we will be just fine!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

tomlin is a natural born leader.
    the guys in his defence would do anything for him and all he expected was their best, and we all day the change in intesity that the defence played with.
    that intangilbe skill was obviously picked up on by the pitts management
    ~~I'm but one Vikings fan in a sea of Frudge Packers!!!~~

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Wack made a great point earlier

But the one thing he does have going is that Pitt gives their coaches time to grow into the job as they did with Knoll and Cowher so even if it takes him a few years eventually he will be a good head coach in the NFL.
    Pittsburgh will give him time to grow and be patient with him.
    Maybe we can take a lesson from that and not try to lynch our coach after the first year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Del" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "PurpleGator" wrote:
    [quote author=davike link=topic=30848.msg527108#msg527108 date=1169517358]
    [quote author=PurpleGator link=topic=30848.msg527087#msg527087 date=1169514391]

It wasn't that great.

[/quote]

He may turn out to be a terrific coach and he is inheriting a pretty solid core of players so I imagine it couldn't be much more of a better opportunity for him.

I agree about giving credit, I also agree on holding people accountable. Yes he was the most passed on, he was also the least ran on. So sure the numbers can stack up in the passing yards due to over exposure, but the very same principle holds true for the run. Less runs = less running yards. I would give our defense a C for a grade myself, and he may have come back this year and turned it around who knows.

One thing is for sure everyone does not seem surprised, he seems to be a natural leader and a presence and IMO that is something a head coach should be.
    [/quote]

agreed, and i blame fred smoot for our last ranked pass D ;D

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast