Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Tom Powers:Do the Vikings have long-term QB plan

Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    slavinator wrote:
    In my opinion Chiller and the FO have gone with a couple different approaches in response to do they have a long term answer at QB.

The plan is COMPETITION, the NFL is all about it. Chilly went with his gut and drafted a guy he liked with enough talent to be a project. The project didnt work out in the timeline he planned so he did what he had to do, explore other options.

Now we have added several veterans to come in and compete and to a degree mentor TJ and the other QB's. After that he went and got an aging soon to be HOF'er who gave us a remarkable season. All the while TJ, and Sage are watching, and learning.

I am not 100% convinced that TJ is the guy but I do like that the FO and Coaching staff keep trying to improve the situation through adding more competition at the position.

I also like that they didnt reach for a QB they werent enamored with in the draft. Just because its a need does not predicate that you draft a guy if they wont fit your scheme. I dont think that they were in love with anyone in the draft class of QB's.

There are several other NFL teams with as bad or worse options at QB than we have. Really there are only a handful of teams who have a long term franchise QB's.
    You see, now your just making me upset.

After reading a post like that, one wonders why we don't see more of them out of you......

Top shelf my friend. Top shelf indeed.
    Yes, especially when you look at the COMPETITION part of the post. Best I can tell since Childress arrived it went something like this:

DC wacked out, BJ folded, TJack gifted starting role, TJack folded Frerrote and other asshats played some games, Rosenfels brought in for FIRST QB competition since acquiring TJack and then Favre was brought in to save the day. Not until Rosenfels was brought in was there a competition.

There isn't a fan with part of a brain that doesn't realize that TJack has potential. To say he's starter material or a flop is a joke. Same story since he arrived. We don't know. Now we're reaching the magical development time and we will see what he has as a starter probably next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he does ok or if he flops. I will be surprised if he ever has a career where it isn't a roller coaster ride....which can be a good thing as long as there is a hint of consistency in the mix.

If he is as good as the sniffers say he is then why was their dead silence when he was a free agent? I'll tell you why, they wanted too much for him and he is still a huge question mark. Why is he still on the roster? I'll tell you. The Vikings organization thinks he's worth keeping on the roster because he MIGHT pan out. Nothing more.

Once again, the fanatics will be left on the sidelines to discuss TJack's existence. He has been around, in the same offense, his whole NFL career. If he gets the starting role again, gifted or earned, he will be on a short-leash until he proves to the NFL world that he has progressed into starter material and not just a quality backup. He has not done that yet. Will he? Time will tell. For what it's worth, which is nothing, I think he does not have it. There have been reports where he can jot down any play from the playbook on a napkin, but, based on his performance on the field can he execute them under pressure? Ah, sometimes. Can he cross that hump into integarting his knowledge and athleticism with wisdom on the field at the NFL level? Nobody knows.
    That could be said of alot of good QB's that have played in this league, to include our current starter......
    You must be intentionally missing the part where he said Jackson has to prove he's progressed into starter material...

Favre did that almost two DECADES ago. Go ahead and name me some more who have to "earn" that title? Sure, you ahve guys like Smikth in San Fran who has struggled with a poor team and is on the edge, or guys like Stafford who has a crap team and only 1 year under his belt...but who else?

Jackson had a GOOD team...and couldn't get it done. Sure, you'll trot out the exceptions in another attempt to prove tah Favre had a far superior team to work with (he didn't). But, when you get right down to it, Jackson has failed to prove he can be "The Man" in almost every opportunity he's been given.

So, do we have a VIABLE long term options at QB? Not in my book. Favre is obviously not long term, Sage and Tarvaris simply aren't good enough, and we have no real prospects in line...Perilloux being a HUGE question mark.

Caine

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tarkenton10 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Tom Powers: Do the Vikings have a long-term plan at QB?
    I know we have lots of QB threads out there, however, this is by Mr. Tom Powers. As most of you know, he is such a stellar reporter, anything he does, gets special treatment by me.
    The long term solution the masterminds have is to pray the Pats let Tom Brady go in a finacial move and scoop him up. Geniuses I tell ya they are pure genius!!! :blink:
    You are a bit of a sneaky fellow as well I see...... Just added you to that new spreadsheet.....

On a side note, Dnabb hasn't signed an extension yet has he? :huh:
    No, and neither has Peyton manning.
    Better yet.

LOL, I wonder what some PPO posters would say about Peyton and his happy feet in the pocket. All TJ has to do is shift his feet a bit and they say he is uncomfortable. I bet they haven't watched ole Peyton much.

That cat is jumpier than a cat on a floor covered in mouse traps...
    The difference. Peyton Manning is one of the best QBs to ever play the game. TJ is unproven so yes he will be criticized for every piece of mechanics that aren't the norm.
    Nope, the difference is, Peyton was highly touted coming out of the draft so little was said about things like his happy feet.

Now he can get away with almost anything.

As to TJ, he proved he can win off the bench which makes him, if nothing else, a reliable backup at a very early age (football years). My guess is he is a very competant starter now, he just needs the chance to show it to fans who only want something "Proven" to them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    ...One would hope that he has some of that hardware. Cat has been around the league like forever.....

At somepoint he has to win something.
    Yes, everyone knows that comparing Favre and TJack makes a lot of sense. Also, everyone knows that the only reason that Favre has the longest streak of consecutive starts in the history of the game is because it was just luck. Last I checked TJack has the durability of a ballet dancer. Hasn't he sat out due to having owies every single year that he has started? In contrast, we have a guy that has played in the black and blue division for damn near his whole career and has missed, what was it again? Oh yeah, zero starts. Based on that alone you have to wonder about TJack. He was one of those kids that put a superhero bandaid on his nonbleeding wound and sat out of gym class with an excuse from his mommy. That's the impression I get regarding his toughness.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tarkenton10 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    I know we have lots of QB threads out there, however, this is by Mr. Tom Powers. As most of you know, he is such a stellar reporter, anything he does, gets special treatment by me.
    The long term solution the masterminds have is to pray the Pats let Tom Brady go in a finacial move and scoop him up. Geniuses I tell ya they are pure genius!!! :blink:
    You are a bit of a sneaky fellow as well I see...... Just added you to that new spreadsheet.....

Better yet.

LOL, I wonder what some PPO posters would say about Peyton and his happy feet in the pocket. All TJ has to do is shift his feet a bit and they say he is uncomfortable. I bet they haven't watched ole Peyton much.

The difference. Peyton Manning is one of the best QBs to ever play the game. TJ is unproven so yes he will be criticized for every piece of mechanics that aren't the norm.
    Nope, the difference is, Peyton was highly touted coming out of the draft so little was said about things like his happy feet.

As to TJ, he proved he can win off the bench which makes him, if nothing else, a reliable backup at a very early age (football years). My guess is he is a very competant starter now, he just needs the chance to show it to fans who only want something "Proven" to them.
    I'll take that bet...

By extending your logic, Rosenfels should be a PHENOMINAL starterby now...and so should Bollinger, or Holcomb, or any of the other craptacular permanent back-up QB's that have trotted through here.

Caine

Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    slavinator wrote:
    In my opinion Chiller and the FO have gone with a couple different approaches in response to do they have a long term answer at QB.

The plan is COMPETITION, the NFL is all about it. Chilly went with his gut and drafted a guy he liked with enough talent to be a project. The project didnt work out in the timeline he planned so he did what he had to do, explore other options.

Now we have added several veterans to come in and compete and to a degree mentor TJ and the other QB's. After that he went and got an aging soon to be HOF'er who gave us a remarkable season. All the while TJ, and Sage are watching, and learning.

I am not 100% convinced that TJ is the guy but I do like that the FO and Coaching staff keep trying to improve the situation through adding more competition at the position.

I also like that they didnt reach for a QB they werent enamored with in the draft. Just because its a need does not predicate that you draft a guy if they wont fit your scheme. I dont think that they were in love with anyone in the draft class of QB's.

There are several other NFL teams with as bad or worse options at QB than we have. Really there are only a handful of teams who have a long term franchise QB's.

After reading a post like that, one wonders why we don't see more of them out of you......

Yes, especially when you look at the COMPETITION part of the post. Best I can tell since Childress arrived it went something like this:

DC wacked out, BJ folded, TJack gifted starting role, TJack folded Frerrote and other asshats played some games, Rosenfels brought in for FIRST QB competition since acquiring TJack and then Favre was brought in to save the day. Not until Rosenfels was brought in was there a competition.

There isn't a fan with part of a brain that doesn't realize that TJack has potential. To say he's starter material or a flop is a joke. Same story since he arrived. We don't know. Now we're reaching the magical development time and we will see what he has as a starter probably next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he does ok or if he flops. I will be surprised if he ever has a career where it isn't a roller coaster ride....which can be a good thing as long as there is a hint of consistency in the mix.

If he is as good as the sniffers say he is then why was their dead silence when he was a free agent? I'll tell you why, they wanted too much for him and he is still a huge question mark. Why is he still on the roster? I'll tell you. The Vikings organization thinks he's worth keeping on the roster because he MIGHT pan out. Nothing more.

Once again, the fanatics will be left on the sidelines to discuss TJack's existence. He has been around, in the same offense, his whole NFL career. If he gets the starting role again, gifted or earned, he will be on a short-leash until he proves to the NFL world that he has progressed into starter material and not just a quality backup. He has not done that yet. Will he? Time will tell. For what it's worth, which is nothing, I think he does not have it. There have been reports where he can jot down any play from the playbook on a napkin, but, based on his performance on the field can he execute them under pressure? Ah, sometimes. Can he cross that hump into integarting his knowledge and athleticism with wisdom on the field at the NFL level? Nobody knows.
    That could be said of alot of good QB's that have played in this league, to include our current starter......
    You must be intentionally missing the part where he said Jackson has to prove he's progressed into starter material...

Favre did that almost two DECADES ago. Go ahead and name me some more who have to "earn" that title? Sure, you ahve guys like Smikth in San Fran who has struggled with a poor team and is on the edge, or guys like Stafford who has a crap team and only 1 year under his belt...but who else?

Jackson had a GOOD team...and couldn't get it done. Sure, you'll trot out the exceptions in another attempt to prove tah Favre had a far superior team to work with (he didn't). But, when you get right down to it, Jackson has failed to prove he can be "The Man" in almost every opportunity he's been given.

So, do we have a VIABLE long term options at QB? Not in my book. Favre is obviously not long term, Sage and Tarvaris simply aren't good enough, and we have no real prospects in line...Perilloux being a HUGE question mark.

Caine
    That is were you lost me.

Take the purple glasses off my friend.......We have a damn good team now. When TJ was a starter we didn't have even a mediocre team.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tarkenton10 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Better yet.

I'll take that bet...

By extending your logic, Rosenfels should be a PHENOMINAL starterby now...and so should Bollinger, or Holcomb, or any of the other craptacular permanent back-up QB's that have trotted through here.

Caine
    Nope, my innate ability to analyze QB skillsets lends me to believe those cats, after 4 or 5 years, are never gonna amount to anything.

TJ has shown nothing but improvement each and every year. When he quits doing that, I will give up on him and recommend we get rid of him just as I have with any other player.

Marrdro wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    slavinator wrote:

Caine

Take the purple glasses off my friend.......We have a damn good team now. When TJ was a starter we didn't have even a mediocre team.
    No purple glasses....we had a solid team in '08...and Jackson stunk. Until the Arizona game, then he started sliding back down the ratings pole, culminating in the Philly embarrasment.

Don'ty even try and sell the notion that it's all suddenly because of the 09 Roster that we're winning, or that Jackson never had a shot with a solid team - we all know better.

Caine

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tarkenton10 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Better yet.

You are right. Peyton was highly touted coming out of college. He moves his feet so he doesn't get too complacent sitting in the pocket. TJ moves his feet because he is wondering what the hell to do. That's the difference in my book.

TJ has proven he can win off the bench. He has become a reliable backup in my book as well. The only thing that can change my mind as to whether or not he can be the starter is playing time. However it has yet to be determined when that will be. But until then he is nothing more than a reliable backup.

Marrdro wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tarkenton10 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Better yet.

I'll take that bet...

Caine
    Nope, my innate ability to analyze QB skillsets lends me to believe those cats, after 4 or 5 years, are never gonna amount to anything.

TJ has shown nothing but improvement each and every year. When he quits doing that, I will give up on him and recommend we get rid of him just as I have with any other player.
    Minimal improvment, while retaining serious inconsistancy.

Also, if we are to beleive your previous arguement, the team around him has improved every year, which means that some of "his" improvement isn't even his...

Pick a side of the fence, Marrdro. You're starting to remind me of John Kerry.

Caine

Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    slavinator wrote:

Caine

No purple glasses....we had a solid team in '08...and Jackson stunk. Until the Arizona game, then he started sliding back down the ratings pole, culminating in the Philly embarrasment.

Don'ty even try and sell the notion that it's all suddenly because of the 09 Roster that we're winning, or that Jackson never had a shot with a solid team - we all know better.

Caine
    Oh yea, I forgot. Its not a team game. Its all about the QB.
    My apologies my friend.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast