Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 123
  1. #21
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re:Tom Powers:Do the Vikings have long-term QB pla

    C Mac D wrote:
    AngloVike wrote:
    Forced to look at the big picture in a moment of panic, we now know that the Vikings' backup plan at quarterback is to schlep along with what they have on the roster in the event of an emergency. OK, well that's their calculated gamble.

    What really bothers me is the fact that they appear to have no medium- or long-range plan in place at quarterback. There is no quarterback in training. There is no long-term successor being groomed. Nothing. Nada. Zippo.
    so TJ isn't the answer?? *shock* *horror*....
    lol... People who knock on T-Jack crack me up. You act like you have "inside knowledge" that he sucks.

    Well, actually... he really does seem like the answer when you look at the numbers. His last year as a starter, he had a 95+ QB rating, and for the small amount of time playing last season when filling in for Favre, he played immaculate and finished with a 113.4 QB rating.

    Now, add two years behind Brett Favre, and you people STILL don't want to give him a chance and purely judge him on the 2.5 years he played coming immediately out of college with either Gus Frerotte, Brad Johnson, Brooks Bollinger or Kelly Holcomb as his "starter" to learn behind.

    The people who think T-Jack sucks and doesn't deserve to have another shot at starting simply don't understand the development process of a QB... media hacks included. Those are just facts, and the coaching staff seems to agree with me. What QB did we draft this year?

    Oh... right... none...
    His numbers are pretty darn good for the stage of development he is at, when compared against several QB's who have gone on to succeed.

    His time in the system and behind a veteran like Favre is the kind of development we wanted him to have originally.

    He won't play like Brett, but really, who will?

    There's no reason to think he won't be better than he was in the past, so I'm ok with TJ as a back up plan for now.

    But I think we would all like to see a young back up to TJ in case he doesn't continue to improve.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  2. #22
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,815

    Re:Tom Powers:Do the Vikings have long-term QB pla

    C Mac D wrote:
    AngloVike wrote:
    Forced to look at the big picture in a moment of panic, we now know that the Vikings' backup plan at quarterback is to schlep along with what they have on the roster in the event of an emergency. OK, well that's their calculated gamble.

    What really bothers me is the fact that they appear to have no medium- or long-range plan in place at quarterback. There is no quarterback in training. There is no long-term successor being groomed. Nothing. Nada. Zippo.
    so TJ isn't the answer?? *shock* *horror*....
    lol... People who knock on T-Jack crack me up. You act like you have "inside knowledge" that he sucks.

    Well, actually... he really does seem like the answer when you look at the numbers. His last year as a starter, he had a 95+ QB rating, and for the small amount of time playing last season when filling in for Favre, he played immaculate and finished with a 113.4 QB rating.

    Now, add two years behind Brett Favre, and you people STILL don't want to give him a chance and purely judge him on the 2.5 years he played coming immediately out of college with either Gus Frerotte, Brad Johnson, Brooks Bollinger or Kelly Holcomb as his "starter" to learn behind.

    The people who think T-Jack sucks and doesn't deserve to have another shot at starting simply don't understand the development process of a QB... media hacks included. Those are just facts, and the coaching staff seems to agree with me. What QB did we draft this year?

    Oh... right... none...
    Good to see you are gaining confidence in our coaching staff.

  3. #23
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,768
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re:Tom Powers:Do the Vikings have long-term QB plan

    C Mac D wrote:
    lol... The best he'll be is a #2? He's played better than any other QB drafted that year, Vince Young included.

    Thinking he'll simply come out of college and play like Matt Ryan (your view) is simply out of touch with reality. It's just that simple.
    of course he has played better, which was why we ended up trading for Sage to compete with him in training camp last year as he was such a lock at the position and why he was not snapped up when he was tendered this off season.
    Now I've looked through my post and really can't see where I said he'd play like Matt Ryan but I'm sure you'll point that out.
    Rather than drag this thread into another TJ bashing thread we'll just have to agree to differ on our views of TJ. So I'll step back from this and wait to see if he proves me otherwise. If he does then great and I'll be happy to acknowledge that, so I 'll assume you'll do the same if he doesn't pan out.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  4. #24
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re:Tom Powers:Do the Vikings have long-term QB plan

    AngloVike wrote:
    C Mac D wrote:
    lol... The best he'll be is a #2? He's played better than any other QB drafted that year, Vince Young included.

    Thinking he'll simply come out of college and play like Matt Ryan (your view) is simply out of touch with reality. It's just that simple.
    of course he has played better, which was why we ended up trading for Sage to compete with him in training camp last year as he was such a lock at the position and why he was not snapped up when he was tendered this off season.
    Now I've looked through my post and really can't see where I said he'd play like Matt Ryan but I'm sure you'll point that out.
    Rather than drag this thread into another TJ bashing thread we'll just have to agree to differ on our views of TJ. So I'll step back from this and wait to see if he proves me otherwise. If he does then great and I'll be happy to acknowledge that, so I 'll assume you'll do the same if he doesn't pan out.
    One way to tell the perceived value of an NFL player is when they hit the free agency market and it is silent. Oh wait.....
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  5. #25
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re:Tom Powers:Do the Vikings have long-term QB plan

    C Mac D wrote:
    lol... The best he'll be is a #2? He's played better than any other QB drafted that year, Vince Young included.

    Thinking he'll simply come out of college and play like Matt Ryan (your view) is simply out of touch with reality. It's just that simple.
    It's not really that out of touch since there are QBs out of college that do well right off the bat. But to your point it isn't common at all.

    We've all been around and around about TJ. We all know each others point of view. I do think TJ can improve as I always said. I am still not confident in him that he can be a starter because quite frankly he hasn't shown the intangeables necessary. However, I do like what I've seen of him in the back up role last year and the end of the season the year prior.

    I like him as a 2nd string QB right now. I have not liked him as the starter. That doesn't mean he can't prove me and others wrong because I do think he has the physical talents. It's his mental state I have issues with at this point.

    I have bashed him because of his inability to read past the first option and his inability to read the defense and blitzes. All of that is trainable and he has the ability to improve. I for one, Hope to be eating crow if TJ does get his next chance. As for now though, he has been nothing better than a backup QB in the NFL. Statistics are looking good as far as ratings are concerned but they still don't tell the entire story. However, the more playing time he gets we can make a better assessment on where he lies.

  6. #26
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Tom Powers:Do the Vikings have long-term QB plan

    tarkenton10 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Tom Powers: Do the Vikings have a long-term plan at QB?
    I know we have lots of QB threads out there, however, this is by Mr. Tom Powers. As most of you know, he is such a stellar reporter, anything he does, gets special treatment by me.
    The long term solution the masterminds have is to pray the Pats let Tom Brady go in a finacial move and scoop him up. Geniuses I tell ya they are pure genius!!! :blink:
    You are a bit of a sneaky fellow as well I see...... Just added you to that new spreadsheet.....

    On a side note, Dnabb hasn't signed an extension yet has he? :huh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #27
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:Tom Powers:Do the Vikings have long-term QB plan

    Marrdro wrote:
    tarkenton10 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Tom Powers: Do the Vikings have a long-term plan at QB?
    I know we have lots of QB threads out there, however, this is by Mr. Tom Powers. As most of you know, he is such a stellar reporter, anything he does, gets special treatment by me.
    The long term solution the masterminds have is to pray the Pats let Tom Brady go in a finacial move and scoop him up. Geniuses I tell ya they are pure genius!!! :blink:
    You are a bit of a sneaky fellow as well I see...... Just added you to that new spreadsheet.....

    On a side note, Dnabb hasn't signed an extension yet has he? :huh:
    No, and neither has Peyton manning.

  8. #28
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Tom Powers:Do the Vikings have long-term QB pla

    C Mac D wrote:
    The people who think T-Jack sucks and doesn't deserve to have another shot at starting simply don't understand the development process of a QB... media hacks included.
    Whats even more funny is this media hack (Mr. Powers)knows how long it takes to develop a QB (He states it in his article), but refuses to acknowledge that timeframe when it comes to TJ.

    I think if you read a bit into it you will see its a "Jungian Thing".
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #29
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Tom Powers:Do the Vikings have long-term QB plan

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tarkenton10 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Tom Powers: Do the Vikings have a long-term plan at QB?
    I know we have lots of QB threads out there, however, this is by Mr. Tom Powers. As most of you know, he is such a stellar reporter, anything he does, gets special treatment by me.
    The long term solution the masterminds have is to pray the Pats let Tom Brady go in a finacial move and scoop him up. Geniuses I tell ya they are pure genius!!! :blink:
    You are a bit of a sneaky fellow as well I see...... Just added you to that new spreadsheet.....

    On a side note, Dnabb hasn't signed an extension yet has he? :huh:
    No, and neither has Peyton manning.
    Better yet.

    LOL, I wonder what some PPO posters would say about Peyton and his happy feet in the pocket. All TJ has to do is shift his feet a bit and they say he is uncomfortable. I bet they haven't watched ole Peyton much.

    That cat is jumpier than a cat on a floor covered in mouse traps...
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re:Tom Powers:Do the Vikings have long-term QB plan

    C Mac D wrote:
    lol... The best he'll be is a #2? He's played better than any other QB drafted that year, Vince Young included.

    Thinking he'll simply come out of college and play like Matt Ryan (your view) is simply out of touch with reality. It's just that simple.
    Shock suprise, even VY showed alot of maturity and proffesionalism last year.

    Maybe there is some truth to that old cliche', you know, the one that talks about how long it takes to develop a QB. :huh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trading Peterson Best Move for Vikings' Long-Term
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 11:40 AM
  2. Peterson, Vikings both look for long-term deal
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 07:51 PM
  3. Wilf keeps focus on looking long-term
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-29-2006, 08:21 PM
  4. Bengals sign Jones long term
    By FuadFan in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2006, 11:02 PM
  5. Vikings: 3-4 lineup looks like long-term solution
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 07:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •