Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Tom Powers:Do the Vikings have long-term QB plan

Tom Powers: Do the Vikings have a long-term plan at QB?
    I know we have lots of QB threads out there, however, this is by Mr. Tom Powers. As most of you know, he is such a stellar reporter, anything he does, gets special treatment by me.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re:Tom Powers:Do the Vikings have long-term QB plan

They say it takes two or three years for a young quarterback to become knowledgeable enough to step onto the field in the NFL. Working with Favre probably could cut that time in half. He is a valuable training resource that the Vikings are wasting. But apparently they'll think about tomorrow when tomorrow rolls around.
    How long has TJ been around? :dry:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

The rest of this is nonsense. If Favre wants to play, which certainly appears to be the case, he'll have the surgery and play. All this other stuff is theater designed to ... I guess I'm not sure what it's designed to do. Just don't pay any attention to it.
    Sometimes, even Mr. Powers gets it right.....

Meanwhile, the NFL draft came and went, and Minnesota passed on a couple of quarterback prospects that has media and friends concerned about Minnesota's future. Notre Dame grad Jimmy Clausen, the first-round talent who was absent in the "Green Room", was available the first two days of the draft, yet we avoided him. Later, Tony Pike of Cincinnati, sat atop the 'best available' list of draft choices, and once again the Vikings went elsewhere. Critics cried "foul", citing Favre's ego as the reason Minnesota avoided addressing the future at quarterback. Never mind that both of these QBs dropped in value faster than the riders of Valley Fair's Power Tower, the Vikings had blown it due to the coddling of their superstar. Yea, right.

What they all fail to realize is that as good as Favre was, the reason for the Vikings' success is many, not singular. The addition of Percy Harvin; the improvement of Sidney Rice; the drafting of Phil Loadholt; Adrian Peterson; the emergence of Ray Edwards; the Williams' wall. Too many factors to decide that Favre was the only reason. The fact that Minnesota won the division in 2008 with Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte at the helm should at least suggest the overall talent of the Vikings is presently superior to the Packers, Bears, and obviously the Lions.

I am not afraid of life without Favre. True, like my HD-TV, it is certainly better. I would much prefer it. But these forty plus years have taught me to be patient (a skill all true Vikings' fans have had to own). For every Tarkenton, there will be a Tommy Kramer. For every Cunningham, a Jeff George. For every Culpepper ... you get the picture. The best playoff record of any Vikings' QB is only 6-5 (Tarkenton). Brett Favre's is presently 1-1, which is no better than Joe Kapp (2-2).
    Exploring LAF, or Life After Favre
    Truer words have never been spoken...... Well, almost never.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Marrdro wrote:
    The rest of this is nonsense. If Favre wants to play, which certainly appears to be the case, he'll have the surgery and play. All this other stuff is theater designed to ... I guess I'm not sure what it's designed to do. Just don't pay any attention to it.
    LOL! Marty your answering your own posts. No wonder you have a zillion posts!

I like Mr. Powers as much as you, but these articles are pretty good.

Favre is probably the best QB the Vikings have had.

But I can live without the attention seeking behavior, off the field.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    LOL! Marty your answering your own posts. No wonder you have a zillion posts!

I like Mr. Powers as much as you, but these articles are pretty good.

Favre is probably the best QB the Vikings have had.

But I can live without the attention seeking behavior, off the field.
    LOL, the new site is to tough when it comes to plugging in "Marrdo's comment follows". Sooooo, to keep from confusing a few people, I just put my comments in another post.

By the way, who cares about post counts anyways? :P

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Showtime is the long-term answer at QB. I'm not sure what's so hard for people to understand about that.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Tom Powers: Do the Vikings have a long-term plan at QB?
    I know we have lots of QB threads out there, however, this is by Mr. Tom Powers. As most of you know, he is such a stellar reporter, anything he does, gets special treatment by me.
    I'm not really a fan of most "journalists"....mostly because I don't think they really know tha much about their subject matter...

But this first article I agreed with. It seems that he researched his presentation by reading my posts...that may be why I approve.

Of course, it would have been nice for him to credit me...but that would be asking too much.

Caine

C Mac D wrote:
    Showtime is the long-term answer at QB. I'm not sure what's so hard for people to understand about that.
    I wonder what is going to happen around these here parts when he finally gets another chance.

LOL, I bet most will jump on the bandwagon and claim they supported him the whole time.

A few of us will know better.

Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast