Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Tom Powers article on Anthony Herrera

Hope Anthony can get his spot locked down on the line. He sounds like a real monster. Has he been picked for the Adopt-A-Viking? If not, I want him.

==============================================

Herrera stands out from the line

BY TOM POWERS

Pioneer Press

When Vikings coaches viewed the film of the New Orleans game, they couldn't help but chuckle. Backup guard Anthony Herrera was a human wrecking ball, even when he wasn't supposed to be.

"That is the plus of Anthony and the minus," coach Mike Tice said with a laugh. "Anthony is going to hit and destroy anything that is in his path.

"The problem is that there is so much finesse built into pass protection that if four of your linemen are at this depth, and one of your linemen is up there trying to knock a guy out two yards in front of them, then you create major seams in protection."

In layman's terms: Four guys were back in pass protection while Herrera was kung fu fighting his man at the line of scrimmage. That left a wide-open corridor that led directly to Daunte Culpepper.

"I got a little overanxious with the adrenaline and all," Herrera said. "That's what coach was talking about."

Still, the finer points of football can be taught to almost anyone. Only a special person has a burning desire to stomp his opponent into submission.

"Physicalness," Herrera said. "You're right about that."

The Vikings might be on to something with Herrera, a second-year man out of Tennessee. He's already getting a reputation as a bit of a wild man on the field and might become one of those rare offensive linemen who attract attention.

He has a unique playing style that is best described as "search and destroy."

"We will settle him down," Tice said. "He was blocking the right guy, but we tried to let him know that it's not a running play, it is a passing play, and that doesn't mean drive your guy into the ground."

Tice reiterated Thursday that Marcus Johnson, a rookie out of Mississippi, is the Vikings' right guard of the future and the right guard of the present. But Johnson wasn't even the right guard of the day Sunday, when he struggled something awful.

Tice added that both Herrera and Adam Goldberg should see at least some playing time at the position Sunday. Herrera, 6 feet 2 and 315 pounds, is hoping for another chance.

"I just love football," he said. "I'm from the islands, and all we do growing up is play outside. I just love to be in the game."

Herrera, from the Caribbean nation of Trinidad and Tobago, worked his way up from the practice squad last season and is getting his first taste of NFL action. Unfortunately, he suffered an odd injury during training camp.

"We were at practice and my leg got stepped on," he said. "I got a cut. We took care of it, cleaned it up and it was all healed. But a week later, my foot started swelling. Some bacteria got in there. Nobody knew what was going on."

Herrera missed the past two exhibitions and the first regular season game.

"Everything got pushed back," he said. "But that's how life is. Life doesn't wait for you."

He finally is getting close to full strength, and his enthusiasm on the field is apparent. If he can avoid running into the other team's huddle and clobbering someone, he could prove to be a valuable component.

Having moved from Trinidad to Florida at age 14, Herrera adopted former Viking Randall McDaniel as his favorite player. Asked if he knew much about NFL linemen from the McDaniel era and before, Herrera shook his head.

Even the name Conrad Dobler didn't ring a bell. I explained that Dobler was universally reviled as the dirtiest player in the NFL — the man who patented the leg whip.

Herrera's eyes grew wide.

"Really," he said. "That's not a bad reputation to have."

Of course, I stressed, you don't want to be known as a dirty player.

"That's not a bad reputation to have," he repeated.

Yes, the Vikings are on to something with this fellow. He's different, and being different is good.

For example, many players work themselves into a frenzy before kickoff. They get all psyched up. Not Herrera. Instead, he has to try to calm himself.

"I'm just listening to music and focusing on my plays," he said. "They are running through my head."

And each play that runs through his head no doubt ends the same way, with Herrera standing over his vanquished opponent, fist in the air.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Tom Powers article on Anthony Herrera

"And each play that runs through his head no doubt ends the same way, with Herrera standing over his vanquished opponent, fist in the air."

I like his 'tude!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

At 6-2 and 315lbs, how about seeing if he can play center. He has to be smart enough to able to call out the blocking assignments. Our 2 centers are light weight at around 290, and we could use somebody that is more aggressive.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

In layman's terms: Four guys were back in pass protection while Herrera was kung fu fighting his man at the line of scrimmage. That left a wide-open corridor that led directly to Daunte Culpepper.

"I got a little overanxious with the adrenaline and all," Herrera said. "That's what coach was talking about."

Still, the finer points of football can be taught to almost anyone. Only a special person has a burning desire to stomp his opponent into submission.
    He finally is getting close to full strength, and his enthusiasm on the field is apparent. If he can avoid running into the other team's huddle and clobbering someone, he could prove to be a valuable component.
    Having moved from Trinidad to Florida at age 14, Herrera adopted former Viking Randall McDaniel as his favorite player. Asked if he knew much about NFL linemen from the McDaniel era and before, Herrera shook his head.

Even the name Conrad Dobler didn't ring a bell. I explained that Dobler was universally reviled as the dirtiest player in the NFL — the man who patented the leg whip.

This guy has got that attitude.

I hope he is a smarter version of Kyle Turley.

Anthony "Metalica (seek and destroy)" Herrera

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

i heard he was gonna be our starting center pre-infection. then he lost like 20 pounds.

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

I like him,he has the right attitude and is big.As long as he doesn,t get to many personal fouls.LOL
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

"whackthepack" wrote:
    At 6-2 and 315lbs, how about seeing if he can play center. He has to be smart enough to able to call out the blocking assignments. Our 2 centers are light weight at around 290, and we could use somebody that is more aggressive.
    i second that. at least he's healthy and playing again. nice rebound from an awful staph infection.

finally, we have a bit mmore quality depth on the o-line.

but i agree, lets see if he can play center.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I really like this guy and I now find myself rooting for him. I love how all of our lineman come out of nowhere and become huge stars. Another practice squad guy who could start at Center or right guard... Man I really like his attitude and the way he plays. Plus he is really big.... Man Tice. If this guy gets his head in the game and stops being antsy like he was on sunday, then start him for sure.

You know the guy is going to put it all on the line for you every game with that kind of attitude. You can't help but cheer for this guy.

"OldManVike" wrote:
    Hope Anthony can get his spot locked down on the line. He sounds like a real monster. Has he been picked for the Adopt-A-Viking? If not, I want him.

==============================================

Herrera stands out from the line

BY TOM POWERS

Pioneer Press

When Vikings coaches viewed the film of the New Orleans game, they couldn't help but chuckle. Backup guard Anthony Herrera was a human wrecking ball, even when he wasn't supposed to be.

"That is the plus of Anthony and the minus," coach Mike Tice said with a laugh. "Anthony is going to hit and destroy anything that is in his path.

"The problem is that there is so much finesse built into pass protection that if four of your linemen are at this depth, and one of your linemen is up there trying to knock a guy out two yards in front of them, then you create major seams in protection."

"Physicalness," Herrera said. "You're right about that."

The Vikings might be on to something with Herrera, a second-year man out of Tennessee. He's already getting a reputation as a bit of a wild man on the field and might become one of those rare offensive linemen who attract attention.

He has a unique playing style that is best described as "search and destroy."

"We will settle him down," Tice said. "He was blocking the right guy, but we tried to let him know that it's not a running play, it is a passing play, and that doesn't mean drive your guy into the ground."

Tice reiterated Thursday that Marcus Johnson, a rookie out of Mississippi, is the Vikings' right guard of the future and the right guard of the present. But Johnson wasn't even the right guard of the day Sunday, when he struggled something awful.

Tice added that both Herrera and Adam Goldberg should see at least some playing time at the position Sunday. Herrera, 6 feet 2 and 315 pounds, is hoping for another chance.

"I just love football," he said. "I'm from the islands, and all we do growing up is play outside. I just love to be in the game."

Herrera, from the Caribbean nation of Trinidad and Tobago, worked his way up from the practice squad last season and is getting his first taste of NFL action. Unfortunately, he suffered an odd injury during training camp.

"We were at practice and my leg got stepped on," he said. "I got a cut. We took care of it, cleaned it up and it was all healed. But a week later, my foot started swelling. Some bacteria got in there. Nobody knew what was going on."

Herrera missed the past two exhibitions and the first regular season game.

"Everything got pushed back," he said. "But that's how life is. Life doesn't wait for you."

Yes, the Vikings are on to something with this fellow. He's different, and being different is good.

For example, many players work themselves into a frenzy before kickoff. They get all psyched up. Not Herrera. Instead, he has to try to calm himself.

"I'm just listening to music and focusing on my plays," he said. "They are running through my head."

And each play that runs through his head no doubt ends the same way, with Herrera standing over his vanquished opponent, fist in the air.
    I had to bring this thread back. It originated in late September and it is now relevant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast