Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: TJack's Playoff Game Analysed

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Overall Analysis

Throughout the first quarter the pass protection was decent; we moved the ball some on the ground and gave the QB manageable situations. Although he came close to throwing an INT intended for Shancoe. In the second quarter he had much better play aside from the INT. The most important aspect was the following drive which he lead the team straight down the field and we scored a TD, this is exactly what you want to see from him. This basically negated the INT for a TD he threw. We were still down 2 points after that TD as we were before he threw the INT to Samuels.

In the third quarter we started out with some great screen passes and short dump offs for large gains to Sasser. On that very drive that we seemed to be headed into the right direction, the offensive line self destructed and forced us to punt. Drive #9 was the key possession that should have put us into scoring position either with a FG or a TD to take the lead. Tarvaris (even with pressure all around) gave Berrian plenty of a chance to make that reception but we came up short and ended up having to punt. In drive #10 Tarvaris tries making a play where there is none nearly throwing another INT, it didn’t matter though we were unable to run the ball and Matt Birk once again allowed heavy rush up the middle and we punted after that 3rd down still down 2 points. After this possession the big screen pass the defense gave up occurred, virtually the only big play they gave up the entire game. This put us down 9 points. On the ensuing offensive drive (#11) the Offensive Line failed to even give our offense a chance to try to catch up, so once again we punted. We ended up with the ball again where we were forced to go all out shotgun and throw on every play, the drive was kept alive by a late hit but was negated when Matt Birk’s bad snap was recovered by the Eagles. They got great field position and put another FG through the upright, extending the lead to 13 points with 1:55 left in the game. After that we were basically finished, but we continued to have false starts, holding penalties, basically complete self destruction.

After further analysis of the game I’ve come to the conclusion that this game is not enough to put Tarvaris back in the dog house. The previous 4 games were decent to very good performances, with that said, the outcome of this game has caused for a large majority wanting a new starting QB next season. The funny thing is before this game there were even whispers of a contract extension for Tarvaris from our local papers. When I take a look at the full body of this game I believe Tarvaris did enough to win the game had we gave him more help offensively, by the time things unraveled completely for him they had for the entire team. The offensive line was horrible in the 2nd half (Didn’t pick up one blitz that I know of), the defense aloud the one big play, and Berrian dropped a pass to put us in the lead. I’m not convinced that Tarvaris shouldn’t be our starter going into next season, granted he came close to throwing more than 1INT in this game we could have easily have one it. Donavan McNabb and the Eagles offense was basically dominated give one play. Our special teams continued to allow large returns to put them in scoring positions and our pass protection continued there trend of shaky performances. In the first half we scored 14 points with good offensive line play, a steady run game but then in the second half the offensive line (Matt Birk) in large part played like @ss, we scored 0 points. Furthermore I’ve determined it’s at an all time low chance that Matt Birk is going to return, I’m not using Matt Birk as a scape goat for some of the mistakes Tarvaris made, but I can guarantee that everything I’ve seen has been seen by the evaluators. Overall I’m in favor of Tarvaris being our starting QB next season; I just don’t see enough available options out there giving us a better opportunity. If we find one that’s fine but I also wouldn’t be surprised if Brad Childress ops to stick with his guns. This would also give us the opportunity to draft a QB, which is what I want to see given our flexibility this April. 1st round, 2nd round, ect, wherever we want and whoever we want.
    First, thanks for the analysis, appreciate it.

The bottom-line is that the whole 'argument' is a moot point.
    I think anyone that has followed the game and the development of QBs is in agreement that we have a young QB with relatively little experience that is inconsistent and shows flashes of brilliance and moments of bone-headed play.
    He may be a legitimate and respected NFL starting QB in the future or he may be a career backup.

The QB situation on the Vikings right now is not in a good position for a fourth year HC.
    If, as you mentioned, they go into next season with TJack as the starter, Booty as backup, and a rookie, it is an injury away from having someone that should be in a backup role (TJack) at this juncture of his career to an even more unknown commodity taking the reigns if TJack gets maimed.
    If someone that has been an INT machine their whole career (Frerotte) can rattle off wins with the team you can expect someone that is at least as good as Frerotte to do the same (many options in that category).
    I would put money down in Vegas that they will not go into next season with TJack, Booty, and a rookie as their QB options.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Of those 37 passes you went back & analyzed, how many of them were "jump" passes that a certain select few here keep "imagining" happened all the time?
    I don't think he ever had any jump passes with the proper pocket protection. Most of the second half was running for his life backwards in the process of taking the snap, I seen a couple times where he jumped on the backpedal in efforts to get the ball over the rush.

I seen no real jump passes, most backpedaling attempts to evaid rush and get a pass off before we lost major yardage. A guy like Frerotte or Booty would have likely been crunched.

"Prophet" wrote:

First, thanks for the analysis, appreciate it.

The bottom-line is that the whole 'argument' is a moot point.
    I think anyone that has followed the game and the development of QBs is in agreement that we have a young QB with relatively little experience that is inconsistent and shows flashes of brilliance and moments of bone-headed play.
    He may be a legitimate and respected NFL starting QB in the future or he may be a career backup.

The QB situation on the Vikings right now is not in a good position for a fourth year HC.
    If, as you mentioned, they go into next season with TJack as the starter, Booty as backup, and a rookie, it is an injury away from having someone that should be in a backup role (TJack) at this juncture of his career to an even more unknown commodity taking the reigns if TJack gets maimed.
    If someone that has been an INT machine their whole career (Frerotte) can rattle off wins with the team you can expect someone that is at least as good as Frerotte to do the same (many options in that category).
    I would put money down in Vegas that they will not go into next season with TJack, Booty, and a rookie as their QB options.
    Your post makes alot of sense, because I'm not in the orginization I cannott comment on the progress of Booty or weather they feel comfortable with him. I think Booty is very capable of pulling off wins for this orginization, I think he's a guy that would already have a head start on most QB's that would come in, in terms of playbook and terminology. He doesn't have great experience but he did play under bright lights at a power house University.

I also believe TJack is capable of pulling off wins, I think that if we work really hard on correcting our pass protection issues its going to help tremendously with whoever we place as QB. This more than anything is one of my biggest concerns going into the season, pass protection has been a issue for along time here. On the other hand I think our defense will be as dominant as ever and I hope to God that we correct the specail teams problems.

I also think there is a good chance that we will not go in with what I want. I love the draft, and I would love to get another QB this year thats going to be around with us in the future. I think the bottom line comes down to being sick of average old guys like Brad Johnson, Gus Frerotte, Kelly Holcomb, ect. I'm a big advocate of looking into the draft for the guys we need. Jeff Garcia is like 40, Rex Grossman is adept to throwing games away,
    David Carr is a bust, Kerry Collins has to have perfect pass protection, ect. I don't see alot of great options, but I do have confident in what we do in most offseasons, so I'm down with whatever there down with.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Thought it might be important to throw in some other QB playoff dissapointments

Flacco against Miami(Ravens still win)
    9/23 135yds 0td/0int

Rivers against Colts(Chargers still win)
    20/36 217yds 0td/1int

E. Manning Against Philly
    15/29 169yds 0td/2int

Delhomme against Arizona
    17/34 205yds 1td/5int

k. collins vs Baltimore
    26/42 281yds 0td/1int

Flacco against Steelers
    13/30 141yds 0td/3int

Some are worse then others but I'll bet everyone of them is their teams starter next year(maybe not Collins).

Also some guys choked in must win week 17 games
    Romo vs Philly
    21/39 183yds 0td/1int

B Favre vs Miami
    20/40 233yds 1td/3int

purpledoom is offline Starter

I don't have a lot of stats to quote and things...but. I've said before, to me TJacks performance wasn't that bad against Philly. He looked a hell of a lot better than little Tony Romeo did the week before. I also have to wonder if he wasn't "doing strictly as he was told". Don't remember if it was Aikman or who but one of the announcers said Childress told him "no out of body experiences!". The play calling in the second half sucked....period. As some one else already said they ran a couple of successful plays and then POOF. It made no sense to me. We should have and could have won that game. I don't think you can blame TJack for losing it.

"purpledoom" wrote:
    I don't have a lot of stats to quote and things...but. I've said before, to me TJacks performance wasn't that bad against Philly. He looked a hell of a lot better than little Tony Romeo did the week before. I also have to wonder if he wasn't "doing strictly as he was told". Don't remember if it was Aikman or who but one of the announcers said Childress told him "no out of body experiences!". The play calling in the second half sucked....period. As some one else already said they ran a couple of successful plays and then POOF. It made no sense to me. We should have and could have won that game. I don't think you can blame TJack for losing it.
    Yeah I completly agree, not unless those close INT's became INT's but they didn't. He has got to improve in terms of forcing passes where there isn't a play to be made. Like I said before though he certainly isn't the first QB to do this, even the veterans do it.

Agree wholeheartedly. He has to improve. I'm still not convinced he's the guy to lead us to the Superbowl or even that he's not. Although I do lean more that way.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"purpledoom" wrote:
    Agree wholeheartedly. He has to improve. I'm still not convinced he's the guy to lead us to the Superbowl or even that he's not. Although I do lean more that way.
    Your not alone their. I don't think anyone knows that about any QB. Will Cutler ever win? Rivers? Brees? Cassell? Just don't know.
    What I do know is that he has improved fairly consistantly so far, not fast enough for some but I think if he continues to work hard he should be fine.

I hope you're right. Of the names you mentioned I like Rivers and Brees best. Love Rivers fire he reminds me alot of Joe Kapp. Course that's just talk and wishful thinking.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "purpledoom" wrote:
    Your not alone their. I don't think anyone knows that about any QB. Will Cutler ever win? Rivers? Brees? Cassell? Just don't know.
    What I do know is that he has improved fairly consistantly so far, not fast enough for some but I think if he continues to work hard he should be fine.
    Yup, Work Ethic, Ability, and Progress keep me intrested in the future of Tarvaris. I think that other than Donavan McNabb, Tarvaris has a situation similiar in the fact that our franchise is set up for a team ready to contest for SB rings. Tarvaris has a real good opportunity to be apart of that, going into his 4th season he must show consistency. I know that he's Childress's guy but I don't hesitate when considering the possibility of moving on without him if he can't handle it. If we can fix the pass protection issues its going to help him alot, it will start to give him major confidence in the way Eli gained his with the Giants last year. We need a #2 WR, I still think Rice can be that guy, but he has to stay healthy. I think the Vikings are building a team that should be in alot of big games come the future. My biggest issue is probably what I would consider underachieving. I figured 10-6 would be the lowest record for last year, after watching the games we left too much to be desired, we really need to pick our game up and become consistent as an orginization in every facet. Not just Tarvaris Jackson.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast