Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: TJack's Playoff Game Analysed

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Another analysis of the data shows that in the 4th quarter, when we needed a leader to take control of the offense to lead us to victory, our QB completed 6 passes out of 16 for a combined total of 44 yards, had the lowest passer rating of any QB who played that weekend and had the second lowest number of yards. He had 29 more yards than Flacco but had 10 more completions.It can also be noted that our top WR finished in the #21 spot in total yards for that week out of 8 teams,which means the following teams had this many players who had more yards than the highest Viking.

Mia- 5
    Phi- 4
    SD-3
    Ari-3
    Atl-3
    Ind-2
    Bal-1

We had trouble against the blitz. The way you beat the blitz is to have a QB who can look at the defense and know where it is coming from and then can attack it. We don't have that person. Not Gus, Not TJ, Not Chilly, Not Bevell....
    There is no doubt about it that when we needed to Tarvaris to make plays in the passing game at the end it wasn't done. We were forced in a all passing situation with no help from the run game. I can't confirm the pass protection of last couple drives but I will say on most occasions he wasn't even given an opportunity to beat the blitz because of "instantanious" pressure. This means pressure from the time the ball is snapped, thats how bad it got.

As far as our leading WR being #21 this and that he should have caught the 40 yard bomb Tarvaris threw him, that would have put him very close to 100 yards on the games.

Another thing I would like to add is the 27 yard pass that Berrian nearly broke for a TD was on the blitz, so were a couple other passes. He was not able to consistently beat the blitz do to automatic pressure in his face, I'm talking not even a chance to remotly even stop and plant but having to try to throw on the pack pedal. This is a very difficult task and not achieved by very many players.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Another thing to add to that, we can go back as far as the San Fran game last year when Tarvaris beat the blitz with a TD pass to Robert Furgeson. There's no doubt in my mind he can beat the blitz, especaily if he can see where he's throwing and have an opportunity to set and have a clean football release.

Alot of beating the blitz is gonna come down to wether the QB even has a decent chance of letting go of the football cleanly.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    that weekend

that week
    K ... I was right
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

Big C is offline Coordinator

Another analysis of the data shows that in the 4th quarter, when we needed a leader to take control of the offense to lead us to victory, our QB completed 6 passes out of 16 for a combined total of 44 yards, had the lowest passer rating of any QB who played that weekend and had the second lowest number of yards.
    This is what I really meant by having a QB being the difference of a win and a loss. How many games has TJ played where we are down by a TD with 2 minutes left and the offense has the ball? Of those, how many had he won? His accuracy (of all things) is off the charts in such situations when we need the QB to lead the drive.

He performance has a MAJOR drop-off when we are playing from behind in the 4th quarter

Strongly disagree

He came back in 2nd half against Detroit and played very well
    He dominated Arizona early
    The Vikings offense put up 10 in the 4th quarter against the Falcons
    The Vikings came back down from 9 in the 4th quarter against the Giants and won
    I agree about his performance against Detroit. I don't want to take anything away from him for that one, but the Lions had not game planned for a mobile QB.
    He was lights out against ARZ. But we had a big lead in 4th. I'm just focusing on times we need the QB to step up.
    ATL is a great example. Yes we put up 10 points but still came up short despite having the ball in the last 2 minutes.
    The 9 points against Giants came against a second-string defense where the CB fell down on a the TD catch. Even that ball was a little underthrown.

I think I'm trying to say TJ is not a "clutch-QB". When you need him to make a play and put the offense on his shoulders, he hasn't proven that he can do that. I know Clutch QBs are rare, but is there anything wrong with wanting one of those?
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Another analysis of the data shows that in the 4th quarter, when we needed a leader to take control of the offense to lead us to victory, our QB completed 6 passes out of 16 for a combined total of 44 yards, had the lowest passer rating of any QB who played that weekend and had the second lowest number of yards. He had 29 more yards than Flacco but had 10 more completions.It can also be noted that our top WR finished in the #21 spot in total yards for that week out of 8 teams,which means the following teams had this many players who had more yards than the highest Viking.

Mia- 5
    Phi- 4
    SD-3
    Ari-3
    Atl-3
    Ind-2
    Bal-1

We had trouble against the blitz. The way you beat the blitz is to have a QB who can look at the defense and know where it is coming from and then can attack it. We don't have that person. Not Gus, Not TJ, Not Chilly, Not Bevell....
    It's not easy to know where the blitz is coming from when you play some teams.
    I remember the bears, this year, giving some team, I think it was the Colts, fits when they brought all the linebackers up in a blitz posture before the snap.

Burning a team that relies on the blitz is a right of passage for a young QB. Learn it or perish. Or move on to a team with an offensive coordinator that can help you by calling the right plays, and teaching.

It takes a sophisticated QB like Ryan or Flacco to come out of college and perform.

TJ has skills. But they are basic and undeveloped. I think he will develop. But he needs another year or two on the bench. And a better offensive team around him.

I can see why he reminds Childress of McNabb. He is a lot like him.
    Not too accurate at times. And doesn't seem to play well when under pressure.

And if I were Zygi, I would have never hired a head coach who had never been on a superbowl championship team.

A team with a weak offense and mediocre wide receivers could describe the Eagles or the Vikings.

I think this team is on the right track. But the Eagles model is built from a loser. And I see too many similarities between the Eagles model and ours.

“What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

First: I'm impressed with the amount information you complied.

Second: I agree TJack played well and the Eagles just killed us with David Akers.

The AZ Cards won because Akers missed a FG and XP.

We lost a close game by a good team.

Next year we are the Cards!

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Great thread I wanted to make the same

More times then not he had to back peddle to get an extra peice of a second

And for the people saying just see where the blitz is coming and hit them.. It's really not that easy when ur WRs are getting open constintly.. It's easier for a 3 time MVP throwing to 2 pro bowl WRs and another great slot WR

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Of those 37 passes you went back & analyzed, how many of them were "jump" passes that a certain select few here keep "imagining" happened all the time?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

It's not easy to know where the blitz is coming from when you play some teams.
    I remember the bears, this year, giving some team, I think it was the Colts, fits when they brought all the linebackers up in a blitz posture before the snap.
    Yes, from time to time that does happen. But then again it is also difficult for defenses to know where to blitz if the offense changes up their formations from what they have seen before. That is how good offensive coordinators stay ahead of the defenses. It also helps to have a QB who has the ability to look at a defense and know what to
    do. With all of the game simulation technology that is out there, that curve should be as low as ever if the person has the cognitive skills.

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Burning a team that relies on the blitz is a right of passage for a young QB. Learn it or perish. Or move on to a team with an offensive coordinator that can help you by calling the right plays, and teaching.
    That may be a way to help him. This combination doesn't seem to be making great headway.

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    It takes a sophisticated QB like Ryan or Flacco to come out of college and perform.
    True, but it doesn't take a sophisticated one to be at the end of their 3rd year and perform. He is not a rookie. I would not have expected Jackson to beat a great defense with his mind in his first year on the team. By this time it should be there.

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    TJ has skills. But they are basic and undeveloped. I think he will develop. But he needs another year or two on the bench. And a better offensive team around him.
    Another 2 years would make him a 5 year vet. I cannot think of many teams who have given a QB 5 years to learn a system. Hell, Akili Smith and Ryan Leaf got much less time and had much more invested in them as well as others. I agree about the line.

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    I can see why he reminds Childress of McNabb. He is a lot like him.
    Not too accurate at times. And doesn't seem to play well when under pressure.
    I don't believe Jackson has anywhere near the upside that McNabb has while the downside is lower. Even when compared start- to start at the beginning of their careers.

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    And if I were Zygi, I would have never hired a head coach who had never been on a superbowl championship team.
    I certainly would have interviewed more than one person before hiring a HC.

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    A team with a weak offense and mediocre wide receivers could describe the Eagles or the Vikings.
    Yes
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    I think this team is on the right track. But the Eagles model is built from a loser. And I see too many similarities between the Eagles model and ours.

If our team is on the same track as the eagles(Except with a QB who is not going to be as good) then I am not going to like the end result

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    Of those 37 passes you went back & analyzed, how many of them were "jump" passes that a certain select few here keep "imagining" happened all the time?
    The whole "Jump Pass" issue on here just cracks me up.
    When I see guys harping on it I say to myself, "Self, bet that guy only watches the Vikings play"......

Seriously, I saw Lord Dickhead do it 3 times this year, Cassell did it once, Big Ben twice (at least) etc etc etc.

Is it a good thing to do?
    Hell no, however, shit happens.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast