Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

TJack's Playoff Game Analysed

[size=14pt]Tarvaris Jackson’s Playoff Game Breakdown[/size]

Too Moderators: Please do not merge this thread with other TJack threads, I believe it has its own purpose.
    This thread is designed to evaluate the performance of the offense particularly the passing game. Although I didn’t add in the running game it was much more consistent in the first half then the second.

1st QT

Drive#1

Pass 1: 1st&10- Blitz by eagles, pickup not handled by Peterson, as Tarvaris gets feet set hit immediately by Stewart Bradley, all routes rather deep, pass incomplete.

Pass 2: 2nd&11- Good pass protection, dump off to Taylor for a gain of 8yds.

Drive#2

Pass3: 3rd&3- Eagles Blitz but pass protection good, pass completed to Berrian for 9yds.

Pass4: 1st&10- Good protection pass intended for Shancoe but nearly picked off, great jump by CB.

Pass5: 3rd&3- Pass protection decent but still pressured, pass completed to Wade for 12yds.

Pass6: 2nd&8- Eagles blitz, pressure is instantaneously through pocket, Tarvaris attempts a screen to
    Peterson but overthrows him on the backpedal.

Pass7: 3rd&8- Eagles blitz but good protections, inaccurate pass to Rice on the button pattern near sideline, incomplete.

2nd QT

Drive#3

Pass8: 1st&5- Pass protection breaks down immediately, Tarvaris scrambles to right throws the pass away.

Pas9: 3rd&6- Eagles blitz getting immediate pressure from RT position (Cook), Jackson shows great pocket awareness, steps up and throws an arching pass completed to Rice for about 11 yds.

Pass10: 1st&10- Good pass protection pass completed to Shancoe for 7yds.

Pass11: 2nd&3- Good pass protection, Jackson throws deep down left sideline to a covered Berrian, pass incomplete.

Pass12: 3rd&3- Good pass protection; Jackson throws left intended for Allison, great ball placement but dropped. PI called on Sheldon Brown moves the chains; this was a scoring drive, 6 points by Peterson on long run.

Drive#4

Pass13: 2nd&4- Good protection, accurate pass intended for Sasser but batted away by defending LB.

Pass14: 3rd&4- Eagles did not blitz but ran a stunt that pushed Hutchison into Tarvaris right as he was throwing. Throw was low and the outside picked off by Samuels and returned for a TD. Bad pass by Tarvaris but predictable play calling considering the button route was run by Rice during drive #2 on a previous 3rd down. Samuels predicted it, jumped the route and scored.

Drive#5-Following INT for TD.

Pass15: 3rd&5: All out blitz by eagles handled very well by Oline, perfect pass to Berrian on a slant for a 27 yard gain.

Pass16: 2nd&10- Eagles blitz again, protection is good pass completed to Wade for 10yds. This Drive was capped with another Peterson TD.

Drive#6-Began inside our own 20 with less than a minute left or around that amount of time.

Pass17: 2nd&10- Quick Pass to Wade completed, half ended by a run then a punt.

3rd QT- Vikings start half with ball.

Drive#7

Pass18: 1st&10- Play action rollout completed to Sasser for 16yds.

Pass19: 3rd&8- Screen pass to Sasser for 17yds.

Pass20: 3rd&6- Eagles blitz, Bad pass protection, Matt Birk blows his assignment the tackle nearly swatted the ball from Tarvaris, instead Dawkins following the Tackle who paved the way stripped the ball but Tarvaris Recovers. Tarvaris should have thrown the ball but was looking right to Chester who was covered and would have lost yardage. Punt Time.

Drive#8- No Passes, Did great on 1st and 2nd running but couldn’t pick up a 3rd down and 1 yard to go. Punt Time.

Drive#9- One pass but critical.

Pass21: 3rd&5- Pressure from the outsides and some in the pocket. Tarvaris finds Berrian down field in single coverage; he steps up and heaves him an opportunity. Pass is somewhat short so Berrian slowed down to come back; Quentin Michael grabs Berrians left shoulder slowing him down enough to make him have to dive for the ball. Berrian still got two hands on the pass but dropped it, got up pleading for PI. This happen on the 10 in the red zone, instead we punted this possession away.

4th QT

Drive#10

Pass22: 2nd&5- Play action rollout with pressure in his face manages a perfect throw to Rice on the move. Pass is completed for 14 yds.

Pass23: 2nd&13- Eagles blitz getting hard pressure right side, Tarvaris try’s to throw left side to Berrian, Sheldon Browns drops an easy INT.

Pass24: 3rd&13- Heavy blitz by Eagles, Matt Birk blows his assignment on #90 who gets instantaneous pressure in the pocket but Tarvaris evades the rush rolling out to the right tries to get pass off with defenders all over him, pass incomplete intended for Shancoe. Punt Time.

Drive#11

Pass25: 1st&10- Good protection pass high intended for Wade who attempts a one hander but couldn’t convert.

Pass26: 2nd&10- Eagles blitz with instantaneous pressure, Jackson tries to make pass on pack pedal but batted by defender in his face.

Pass27: 3rd&10- All out blitz by Eagles, instantaneous pressure in pocket, tries to complete another pass on the pack pedal but incomplete.

Drive#12-This is where my TiVo cut off, I accidently erased rest of it so have no description in terms of pass protection and whatnot.

Pass28: 1st&10- Incomplete intended for Rice.

Pass29: 2nd&10- Incomplete intended for Rice.

Pass30: 3rd&10- Incomplete intended for Berrian.

Roughing the passer gives offense another opportunity.

Pass31: 1st&10- Pass completed to Wade for 3yds.
    Managed a first down but Matt Birk’s bad snap turned into an Eagles possession and another FG.

Drive#13

Pass32: 1st&10- Pass completed to Taylor for 3yds.

Pass33: 2nd&12- Pass completed to Taylor for 10yds.

Pass34: 3rd&2- Pass completed to Taylor for 6yds.

Pass35: 1st&20- Pass incomplete intended for Berrian.

Pass36: 2nd&20- Pass completed to Taylor for 8yds.

Pass37: 3rd&17- Pass incomplete intended for Berrian.

Re: TJack's Playoff Game Analysed

Overall Analysis

Throughout the first quarter the pass protection was decent; we moved the ball some on the ground and gave the QB manageable situations. Although he came close to throwing an INT intended for Shancoe. In the second quarter he had much better play aside from the INT. The most important aspect was the following drive which he lead the team straight down the field and we scored a TD, this is exactly what you want to see from him. This basically negated the INT for a TD he threw. We were still down 2 points after that TD as we were before he threw the INT to Samuels.

In the third quarter we started out with some great screen passes and short dump offs for large gains to Sasser. On that very drive that we seemed to be headed into the right direction, the offensive line self destructed and forced us to punt. Drive #9 was the key possession that should have put us into scoring position either with a FG or a TD to take the lead. Tarvaris (even with pressure all around) gave Berrian plenty of a chance to make that reception but we came up short and ended up having to punt. In drive #10 Tarvaris tries making a play where there is none nearly throwing another INT, it didn’t matter though we were unable to run the ball and Matt Birk once again allowed heavy rush up the middle and we punted after that 3rd down still down 2 points. After this possession the big screen pass the defense gave up occurred, virtually the only big play they gave up the entire game. This put us down 9 points. On the ensuing offensive drive (#11) the Offensive Line failed to even give our offense a chance to try to catch up, so once again we punted. We ended up with the ball again where we were forced to go all out shotgun and throw on every play, the drive was kept alive by a late hit but was negated when Matt Birk’s bad snap was recovered by the Eagles. They got great field position and put another FG through the upright, extending the lead to 13 points with 1:55 left in the game. After that we were basically finished, but we continued to have false starts, holding penalties, basically complete self destruction.

After further analysis of the game I’ve come to the conclusion that this game is not enough to put Tarvaris back in the dog house. The previous 4 games were decent to very good performances, with that said, the outcome of this game has caused for a large majority wanting a new starting QB next season. The funny thing is before this game there were even whispers of a contract extension for Tarvaris from our local papers. When I take a look at the full body of this game I believe Tarvaris did enough to win the game had we gave him more help offensively, by the time things unraveled completely for him they had for the entire team. The offensive line was horrible in the 2nd half (Didn’t pick up one blitz that I know of), the defense aloud the one big play, and Berrian dropped a pass to put us in the lead. I’m not convinced that Tarvaris shouldn’t be our starter going into next season, granted he came close to throwing more than 1INT in this game we could have easily have one it. Donavan McNabb and the Eagles offense was basically dominated give one play. Our special teams continued to allow large returns to put them in scoring positions and our pass protection continued there trend of shaky performances. In the first half we scored 14 points with good offensive line play, a steady run game but then in the second half the offensive line (Matt Birk) in large part played like @ss, we scored 0 points. Furthermore I’ve determined it’s at an all time low chance that Matt Birk is going to return, I’m not using Matt Birk as a scape goat for some of the mistakes Tarvaris made, but I can guarantee that everything I’ve seen has been seen by the evaluators. Overall I’m in favor of Tarvaris being our starting QB next season; I just don’t see enough available options out there giving us a better opportunity. If we find one that’s fine but I also wouldn’t be surprised if Brad Childress ops to stick with his guns. This would also give us the opportunity to draft a QB, which is what I want to see given our flexibility this April. 1st round, 2nd round, ect, wherever we want and whoever we want.

Rambro is offline Rookie

On our two touchdown drives could you please tell me how much we used Chester Taylor/ how often was he in? Even though Peterson broke a big one, it is my belief that Taylor makes defenses respect his ability to catch passes and that opens things up more?

Another thing, I believe our momentum was killed after failed 3rd & 1. Also, why werent there more plays with Shiancoe involved? Those two huge gains by Sass makes me wonder why we didn't attempt those more often? Were we in max protect alot?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

That was last season.

We have next season to look forward to.

Big C is offline Coordinator

I'm not blaming the Philly game entirely on Jackson. My problem with him is that is not a QB that you can rely on to win the occasional game for you. He is not a QB who can be the difference between a win and a loss.

He performance has a MAJOR drop-off when we are playing from behind in the 4th quarter and we can't call run or play-action plays. That kind of QB will get you in to the playoffs, but not beyond that.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Rambro is offline Rookie

"Big" wrote:
    I'm not blaming the Philly game entirely on Jackson. My problem with him is that is not a QB that you can rely on to win the occasional game for you. He is not a QB who can be the difference between a win and a loss.

He performance has a MAJOR drop-off when we are playing from behind in the 4th quarter and we can't call run or play-action plays. That kind of QB will get you in to the playoffs, but not beyond that.
    I don't think there are many qbs on the entire planet who can do that.

"Rambro" wrote:
    On our two touchdown drives could you please tell me how much we used Chester Taylor/ how often was he in? Even though Peterson broke a big one, it is my belief that Taylor makes defenses respect his ability to catch passes and that opens things up more?

Another thing, I believe our momentum was killed after failed 3rd & 1. Also, why werent there more plays with Shiancoe involved? Those two huge gains by Sass makes me wonder why we didn't attempt those more often? Were we in max protect alot?
    On the first TD drive that was essentially Peterson's big one Chester only seen the field once that I know of, it was a run over left tackle for -1 yards.

On the next scoring drive he had much more of an impact after Tarvaris threw us down to Philly's 20 yard line. After that Chester had runs of 8, 6, and 3. The next play Peterson came in for the three yard TD.

Overall Chester did have a very good game.

"Big" wrote:

The occasional game? I'm not sure I understand, once he got back we won against Detriot, Arizona, and the Giants. With that said we all know he played well enough to beat the Falcons, so I'm not quite sure what the occasional game means? These were all big games for us in making that surge into the post season.

"He is not a QB who can be the difference between a win and a loss" Not sure that makes much sense either, QB is one of the more important positions on the field, he's always gonna have "some" say in weather you win or loose.

I certainly won't disagree that he has had "some" drop offs when trailing in the 4th quarter but none the less I believe this was the case vs Detriot and New York. Not to mention the way he played his sophmore season against Denver. There's definitly some good and some bad but I wouldn't say for sure its one way or the other.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

"Big" wrote:
    He performance has a MAJOR drop-off when we are playing from behind in the 4th quarter
    Strongly disagree

He came back in 2nd half against Detroit and played very well
    He dominated Arizona early
    The Vikings offense put up 10 in the 4th quarter against the Falcons
    The Vikings came back down from 9 in the 4th quarter against the Giants and won

But again, people only remember the Eagles game when they talk about him.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Another analysis of the data shows that in the 4th quarter, when we needed a leader to take control of the offense to lead us to victory, our QB completed 6 passes out of 16 for a combined total of 44 yards, had the lowest passer rating of any QB who played that weekend and had the second lowest number of yards. He had 29 more yards than Flacco but had 10 more completions.It can also be noted that our top WR finished in the #21 spot in total yards for that week out of 8 teams,which means the following teams had this many players who had more yards than the highest Viking.

Mia- 5
    Phi- 4
    SD-3
    Ari-3
    Atl-3
    Ind-2
    Bal-1

We had trouble against the blitz. The way you beat the blitz is to have a QB who can look at the defense and know where it is coming from and then can attack it. We don't have that person. Not Gus, Not TJ, Not Chilly, Not Bevell....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast